• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Computer

vickip

Standard Member
Hi

I am looking to buy a new computer and I need some help with the Spec. I need the computer for photography and editing of camcorder DV Tapes and burning to DVD.

I have seen a computer in ALDI's which has the following spec:

Intel Pentium D820 Dueal Core Processor 2.8GHz
200GB Hard Disk
1024MB Memory
Multi-Standard Dual Layer DVD/CD Writer
DVB-T Analogue TV
S3 Graphics Unichrome Pro IGP
6 Channel Audio
Intergrated 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
6xUSB 2.0 Ports
V.90 PCI Data/fax modem.

Plus a whole lot of software.

Price £399

What do you think guys, will this do the job.

Vickip

T0rNaDo

the graphics are more then likely to be onboard.
and ur need to know if the mobo has a gfx card slot.
if u plan to upgrade the gfx later on..
also it proberly only got 2 or 3 pci slots.
so think how many u would need for
any pci components u might want to add..

have you looked on the dell site to see
what they can do for that price....

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I agree. Buy a Dell - you can get one for £369 with monitor. Or go to Dell Outlet for an even better deal with or without a monitor.

HCK

if you going to editing/storing video I would suggest that 200GB may not be enough....but then it depends on how much video you would be using.

jameslindsey

Definitley more hard disk, or better still a secondary one. 200GB sounds massive but will disaaper quick especially if playing with video. Also 1Gb would be considered minimum these days for RAM. The rest of the specs look OK unless you are going to play a lot of games or intensive work on very large image & video files, processor & graphics will be OK.

I would certainly take at the Dell www site as suggested previously. It might cost a little more but you'll get a better spec, probably better tech support and certainly the option to improve HD & memory.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Exscuse, me butting in. :)

Is the Pentium D820 really 2 processors at 2.8ghz which I have seen for £85?

I was going to upgrade a AMD 64 3700 to a X2 4600 (2.4ghz) and that is £160.

I would get at least two 300GB hard disks and partition one to around 40GB for drive C.

WelshBluebird

nwgarratt said:
Exscuse, me butting in. :)

Is the Pentium D820 really 2 processors at 2.8ghz which I have seen for £85?

I was going to upgrade a AMD 64 3700 to a X2 4600 (2.4ghz) and that is £160.

I would get at least two 300GB hard disks and partition one to around 40GB for drive C.

Yes, the pentium D 820 is 2 Cores on one CPU, however I'd say go for the AMD. Because although the Intel is clocked at a higher speed, the X2's architechture means it is actually faster than the Pentium D.

If you don't want to spend £160, go for the X2 4200 for £130, or even the X2 3800 for £100 - both beat the pentium D, even though they are clocked much slower.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
WelshBluebird said:
Yes, the pentium D 820 is 2 Cores on one CPU, however I'd say go for the AMD. Because although the Intel is clocked at a higher speed, the X2's architechture means it is actually faster than the Pentium D.

If you don't want to spend £160, go for the X2 4200 for £130, or even the X2 3800 for £100 - both beat the pentium D, even though they are clocked much slower.

I stil intend to go for the X2. I currently have the 64 3700 so, I want a noticeable improvement in speed.

vickip

Standard Member
Thanks All

I have decided not to buy the Aldi's computer, I have found one with a better spec from EBuyer so shall get that when I come back from my holiday. The spec it good and has a seperate graphics cards.

:thumbsup:

Vickip

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom