• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Computer - Suggestions Welcome!

S

Sarah Nya

I'm currently in the process of picking out parts for my new computer and just wondered if anyone had any better suggestions for roughly the same price!

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

Intel Extreme D975bx-304 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2

Gainward BLISS Geforce 7900 GT "Golden Sample" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB ST3160812AS SATA-II 8MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 200GB ST3200820AS SATA-II 8MB

Zalman VF900-CU Quiet Copper VGA Cooler

Lian-Li PC-61 PLUS Black Aluminium Midi-Tower Case (No PSU)

TG Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular

Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 Speaker System Black

Enermax Aurora Brushed Aluminium Keyboard - Black

There are of course a few bits and bobs left out but I think I've listed the most important things :D

I

intersting

DVD burner?

Also, at this money spend a bit more on your primary ahrd drive and get a western digital raptor, and ahve the 200 GB seagate as an archive type hard drive. Expensive but worth it.

Also, have a look at OCZ ram...

S

Sarah Nya

Will do!

I was going to get the Liteon Litescribe drive for burning (I can't resist the pretty pictures!).

Are OCZ a little better then?

booyaka

heard the G skill ram PC6400 is top stuff for the new conroe chips and also very good for overclocking.

Would also consider staying away from the 7900GT's - lots of problems with them failing etc.

Consider the X1800XT or X1900XT (budget dependant) also the 7900GTX is down to £220 plus vat with overclockers

otherwise - looks very nice!!:clap:

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
7900GTX's are just as bad for reliability. go for an ati card this time round
corsair ram is fine too btw. and i really wouludnt bother with a raptor tbh, small difference in speed that doesnt help much with games and if its a small raptor, itll get filled very quick if you have alot of games to install

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
This is just my personal preference but I would go with the Akasa Eclipse 62 with the Thermal Side Panel :)

S

Sarah Nya

I may just go for a X1900XT then if they are that unreliable, I have heard a lot of problems about them though. Any Brand for ATI recommended?

As for the Raptor I kinda figured they were a bit expensive for the small boost in speed, if I was loaded then yeah no problem!

That case is nice but I have a thing for black brushed aluminium (check out the keyboard, simple but nice).

Now I've got to investigate ATI cards...

S

Sarah Nya

alphaomega16 said:
This is just my personal preference but I would go with the Akasa Eclipse 62 with the Thermal Side Panel :)

I found a Black Aluminium one, are these cases a lot cooler then (I suppose I can go for looks everytime)?

huxley309

Standard Member
personally id get a samsung spinpoint sata2 drive they perform better than the raptors...cheaper and much much quieter barracudas are known for not being that quick

again x1800xt or the x1900xt mind got a 7800gtx and it's been great for me

id go for the msi or a gigabyte ds3/4 board it seems the best out there for the conroe atm as for memory yes gskill is the best i have 2gb of ff ddr600 and it's great but they're known to have problems with the duo id stick withh some fast corsair to play it safe

as for coolers have a look at the ac freezer range or vapochill micro im not sure if there's any out for the duo but worth a look

apart from that some nice choice bits there

semiskimmed

Distinguished Member
get any x1900xt. theyre all basically the same, although there is a more expensive one with a different cooler thats meant to be near silent if thats a factor for you.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Well apart from my personal preference on the case subject your other bits add up to make a pretty good computer.

I have however heard very good things about the G.Skill Memory
For another £6 you can get the
ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) £252 including VAT (From OCUK though)

S

Sarah Nya

alphaomega16 said:
Well apart from my personal preference on the case subject your other bits add up to make a pretty good computer.

I have however heard very good things about the G.Skill Memory
For another £6 you can get the
ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) £252 including VAT (From OCUK though)

Lovely thanks, that is the card I've been looking at today since you lot put me off the 7900GT and OCUK is where I will order most of the stuff so it makes sense :D

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
The 7800GTX is what I have and it is pretty good but the 7900 series of cards man are they bad I wouldnt even do a straight trade for a 7900GTX lol.

nVidia is I hate to say starting to crumble with thier latest cards they seriously need to figure out what is going on :(

With me I have always had an AMD system with nvidia graphics but with the way things are looking I may have to resort to having a :eek: Intel system with an ATI graphics card when I upgrade my computer in 2-4 years.

S

Sarah Nya

Hopefully it's just a one off!

I did want an nVidia as I heard their drivers are better at displaying non native resolutions on LCD panels (I read this in some forum), hopefully it's rubbish though.

D

Deleted member 39001

That list looks fine apart from:

Motherboard, I'm sure it's fine but what about Asus?
And I would personally buy a Hitachi drive as with SATA 2 switched on it's supposed to be very fast.

And also whilst ATI are great for the moment, just remember AMD now own ATI and are ditching the ATI name, but I hope this doesn't mean chip make biased drivers.

celticdaz

If you *really* need a computer now, I'd recommend a 7950GX2. Otherwise, DX10 cards will be out in a couple of months, making any card you buy now out of date...big style.

Reading your post more closely, the 7950 would be more expensive...worth it IMO if you're into gaming. Me, I'm waitng for the DX10 cards.

S

Sarah Nya

celticdaz said:
If you *really* need a computer now, I'd recommend a 7950GX2. Otherwise, DX10 cards will be out in a couple of months, making any card you buy now out of date...big style.

Reading your post more closely, the 7950 would be more expensive...worth it IMO if you're into gaming. Me, I'm waitng for the DX10 cards.

I wouldn't mind waiting if I knew they would definately be out end of September or something but no one seems to know and what if they got delayed ?

Are the DX10 cards likely to be a lot more powerful than the current crop or will they simply just support DX10?

I figured the 1900 would last me till next year at least and I could upgrade to DX10, probably a 2nd gen card or something so I didn't want to go flat out and buy a 7950, although I wouldn't mind one to be honest :D

zedzed

Sarah Nya said:
I wouldn't mind waiting if I knew they would definately be out end of September or something but no one seems to know and what if they got delayed ?

Are the DX10 cards likely to be a lot more powerful than the current crop or will they simply just support DX10?

I figured the 1900 would last me till next year at least and I could upgrade to DX10, probably a 2nd gen card or something so I didn't want to go flat out and buy a 7950, although I wouldn't mind one to be honest :D

Remember - DX10 will only be available on Vista. Last I heard MS were saying "Vista will be ready when it's ready"! So .... I think it will be at least a year before there are any decent games out on Vista (and Vista is stable enough to use!)

My advice would be to buy a card that's good enough for now - and don't try to factor in too much "future potential". If you're planning to run games on a 19" TFT at 1200x1024, for example, then I don't think you need to break the bank to get the latest and greatest card. Save some cash and then in 12/18 months you'll be in a better position to get that DX10 card.

Dez

p.s. There's always a reason not to buy. For the last few months it was AM2/Conroe chips arriving. Now it's DX10 cards on the horizon. By the time they arrive it'll be something else!

p.p.s With your spec system the difference between 1900 and 7950 is probably something like 50FPS vs. 65FPS. D'you really think you'll be able to tell the difference? :)

S

Sarah Nya

I think I've waited long enough so will probably settle for that x1900 that I wanted, it should play todays games well so I'll be happy!

booyaka

Sarah Nya said:
I think I've waited long enough so will probably settle for that x1900 that I wanted, it should play todays games well so I'll be happy!

no probs - love my X1900XT (with the X2 artic cooler on) very quiet - madly powerful at stock and bonkers when overclocked!!:eek:

S

Sarah Nya

One other thing, I've been reading the tomshardware forums and there are a few posts suggesting the x1800xt is pretty much on par with the x1900xt is this true as the x1800xt is quite a bit cheaper?

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) 512MB £234