1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Daneel, May 24, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My Videologic Sirocco Crossfire (4.1 computer speaker setup) amp died again and I'm starting to think i will have to replace them.

I get proper 5.1 from my main hi-fi system so just need something for music and some gaming on my computer. Likely to be a 2.1 or 4.1 system.

I don't want to spend a great deal. I'm seriously considering the Aego2 although this review mentions a crossover around 300Hz which I would think will be terrible.

If anyone owns either the Aego2 or Aego5 your comments would be appreciated.

Whatever I buy will have to be magnetically sheilded and fairly small. If this weren't the case I'd just pick up a 2nd hand amp and standard speakers.

Any other recommendations for under £200?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    How about a pair of Mission m70 and a Cambridge Audio (or another maybe secondhand) amp?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on your sound card the limit pacakge from RS??? or eltax silverado? Try maplin for some ideas or buya S/H amp and some speakers. RS might have some open box stuff left like a really cheap shrewood DD/DTS amp and some of their scheap speakers and a cheap sub.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Sounddog, the m70 looks like a nice speaker, unfortunately it is too big. These will need to sit on my desk in front of my monitor. I'm only about 2 feet away from them.

I currently have two soundcards (driver problems) a Videologic SonicFury and a M-Audio Revolution 7.1.

The Eltax silverado speakers look interesting. If the fronts are floor-standers I don't have to worry about the size too much. I'll see if I can dig out some reviews.

5. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't recommend the AEGO2 system highly enough, particularly at the bargin price £99!! from HiFiBitz. Don't let the diminutive size put you off - they easily fill my 25x12 living room (far better than my Castle Harlech S2s ever could). They are also superb connected to a TV providing an expansive and dynamic soundstage (I'm judging against my Pioneer 2011/Tannoy/Strata main system).

I have two, one (white) in the bedroom connected to a Pure Evoke DAB radio and occasionally a CD walkman and another (black) used as a multi-purpose when the occasion demands- like now - whilst I search for new HiFi floor standers.

They are certainly more enjoyable than many full scale hifi systems with astonishingly tight and powerful bass.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am so impatient. Videologic/Pure Digital are taking their time getting back to me and I need speaker sound ASAP (using headphones all the time is annoying).

Relay, your recommendation pushed me over the edge so if I don't like the Aego2 I'm going to blame you! ;)

I looked at other computer speakers but the sound from my Siroccos is really quite good and I can't see it being bettered without buying proper speakers. I don't want to go backwards in sound quality so I hope the Aego2 lives up to expectations!

I considered the full system with amp but I really don't have the space in my computer room, plus I found a good deal on the Aego2, £87.45 delivered from here.

I let you know what I think when they arrive.

7. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daneel,

The AEGO2 system at sub £90 is astonishing value (- is there room for amother in my house ?). Plug in any decent line level source, experiment a little with the speaker placement and you will be amazed at the room-filling sound. My mate who is also into high end hifi is similarly impressed. The high end US magazine Sterophile also loved it. You will not be disappointed I guarantee. Look forward to your feedback :D

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My Aego2 system arrived this morning. They are reasonable for the price, but they aren't at the same level as my old VideoLogic setup. The clarity, particularly in the mid range just isn't there.

The bass is a little too strong, doesn't go as deep and is muddier. I guess the VideoLogic setup spoilied me.

I'm off to email VideoLogic again and see if I can't get the amp sorted properly! (it blows its internal T fuse every few hours when switched on/off)

9. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I use a NAD3020e and some cheapy RicherSounds Gale Gold Monitor MK2 and it sounds really really good.

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A bit of tweaking on my soundcard EQ has improved things. They go surprisingly loud without distorting.

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Aego 2 does go very loud! My neighbour's son has a set in their converted garage over the fence and I can easily hear his hideous thumping, moaning hip-hop/garage music through my closed windows! :mad:

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly died on your amp? Reason I ask is because my Videologic Sirocco Crossfire amp dies all the time but it's usually the fuse that's blown which is easy to replace.

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :)

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just realised how useless demos are, even in the same room unless you can A/B the systems at the flick of a switch.

I got a replacement amp for the Videologic system this morning and so far it seems to be fine. I thought I'd take the opportunity to compare the Sirocco system with the Aego2.

The only thing I got right is that the bass on the Sirocco is more even and at about the right level, unlike the Aego which has a boost at around 50Hz before dropping very quickly towards 0.

The midrange of the Aego is better than the Sirocco. The Aego sounds a lot more focused were the Sirocco sounds somewhat fuzzy. There is also a lot of additional sound from the Sirocco, sometimes this corresponds to more detail, but generally it sounds bad. I'm not sure exactly what is happening but I would guess in the range of 4kHz to 8kHz it is too strong. The highs are actually better on the Aego despite it having a single driver in the satellites where the Sirocco has a midrange and a tweeter.

If I had something I could do with the Sirocco system I would consider buying another Aego2 and having a 4.2 system connected to my computer.

In summery I have changed my mind about the Aego. If you need a cheap compact solution with good all round performance, the Aego2 is a great buy.