New computer needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wolvo_boi, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I realise there is an inflated price on these but my laptop has died and i need a new PC but havent got the money right now being after Christmas and having 2 weeks off from work which isnt paid.

I am going for a desktop over a laptop as i have had enough of them and didnt really use the laptop anywhere other than in a place i could just have a desktop.

So of these 3 which is best value for money or which one would be recomended as the best? Will be used for general internet browsing, downloading and watching films, storing and playing music and playing Football Manager, no World of Warcraft etc.

Acer Z1801 Core i3 3Gb 500Gb All-in-One 20 inch Touchscreen PC | Littlewoods.com

Acer X3900 Core i3 21 inch Display 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive Desktop | Littlewoods.com

Zoostorm 4Gb 500Gb Core i3 Base | Littlewoods.com

Have narrowed it down to these as i think i am right in saying the i3 processor is better than having the dual core that are also available through Littlewoods. I realise 1 of these comes without a monitor but i can easily get one of these but they do not do that model in a bundle.

1 more query is whether the touchscreen Acer will have a decent enough Wifi built in or will it be a poor bog standard one.

Cheers in advance guys, i know i am paying more than i would anywhere else but i need to get back up and running asap and cant afford the price outright.

2. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    The first one is probably the best in terms of overal spec but at over £600 it is poor value for money IMO unless your specifically after an all in one. I would go with a separate tower an monitor personally and if your after good screen you could do a lot worse than this.

LG IPS225V IPS LED 21.5" HDMI Monitor

A 22" LG IPS monitor for less than £100 delivered is a bargain!

As for base units,

This one is quite good value for money.

Zoostorm Desktop PC, not an i3 but will be fine for basic tasks. Just add a copy of Windows 7 64-bit and install.

For a bit more grunt you should be looking at something like an i3-2100 or i3-2120 such as;

Medion Desktop PC £300.10 which includes a pre-installed copy of Windows 7 home premium.

3. betelgeus

betelgeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    out of your 3 options the zoostorm seems the less value of the bunch,the aio seems a bit gimmicky unless touchscreen apeals to you,so that only leaves x3900.i presume you dont have the cash to buy up front and prefer deffered terms and suprisingly the extra they add on isnt as hideous as some items ive seen on littlewoods.

however have you considered VERY the x3900 is £70 pounds less and you can buy now and pay in 12 months,giving you time to put enough aside each month,if you dont have an account,opening one you get 10% of knocking the price down to about £390 saving you £110.

4. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for that. Yes Littlewoods seems to have been a bit more competetive over the last year in terms of prices.

As tempting as it is to open a Very account i am trying to minimise the amount of credit cards and credit accounts i have, a good saving but will try and resist.

I thought the touchscreen was a bit of a novelty but had wifi built in.

5. baker025p

baker025p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  6. betelgeus

betelgeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i wouldnt worry too much about built in wifi(although i would have assumed any system today would i have it built in)ive used a £3 dongle for years and get 1.2MB on a 16 mb connection rock solid.

the reason i mention very is its part of the littlewoods group and i doubt you would be refused as you have an account but good luck,i've jamp in fast and then when the novelty wears of realise i could have shopped smarter :)

7. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. wolvo_boi

wolvo_boi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is an Acer Aspire x3450 any good? Processoris an AMD Radeon II X4 645 quad core processor. I know even less about AMD than i do Pentium.

9. the-demi-god

the-demi-god

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I dont really know much about PCs, I can use one and that is about it. However an aquaintance bought the below or something very like it a few months ago and says it is great value for money, since you mentioned Zoostorm I thought I would pass it on. If you are paying for it anyway then it is worth a look, it does not include a monitor but it does have windows 7. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Zoostorm, Intel Core i5-2310, 1.0TB HDD, 6GB DDR3, | eBay