New computer build (£750 max)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PenguinWithHair, Nov 27, 2010.

1. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey everyone, it's another computer build thread...

So I'm getting an AMD gaming build together, setting myself a max budget of £750. This is for the box, mouse and keyboard only. I'm quite fussy about having quality components, although I obviously want the highest spec budget will allow.

I'm looking at a custom build from cclonline.com, but before I do that can anyone point me towards any good pre built (store assembled, so not factory prebuilt) gaming systems in budget from any other reputable retailers?

I'm quite fussy about an Asus motherboard, and an Antec powersupply and case (bit of a fanboy). In general I'd like to keep it as energy efficent as possible too.

Many thanks :)

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Why specifically AMD? If you want energy efficiency/performance per watt, Intel seem to be on top at the minute.

Worth taking a look at Overclockers custom built systems - Systems & Bundles - Overclockers UK

If you want something different, ring them, they seem to be very good in that respect.

3. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I just thought AMD were the better option in this price range.

There's a 95w version of the Phenom II X6 now which (at a quick glance) is the same as the i7..?

Sorry I'll post a list of components I had in mind soon.

4. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Quick spec :-

Attached Files:

5. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Hexacore 95w :-

Attached Files:

6. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Personally, I wouldn't go for 6 cores in a gaming system, as they won't be utilised by most games, dual and quad core are more than good enough most of the time.

7. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Agreed. If you're spending up to £750, I wouldn't go with a dual core though; there are more and more games coming out which do show a significant boost when going up to a quad.

I can't really help you when it comes to getting something pre-built, but I can help you get an idea of parts:

[​IMG]

Leaves you with a decent amount left over for the keyboard and mouse :thumbsup:

8. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Shop elseware. As for CPU got myself AMD 240e, 45W TDP

9. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Why? I've never had a problem with them, although they have had bad press in the past.

10. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    They're effing terrible. I was going to buy some RAM and GPU but nope not giving another penny to those people. Customer service from them is terrible. Gave them another chance recently and again lousy service.

Buy from ebuyer instead.

11. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Never had any problems with Ebuyer or Scan but have heard a couple of people who've had problems with Overclockers.

Unless the price difference is phenomenal, I'd stay clear of them.

12. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Broona hasn't had problems with them before so I see little reason to go elsewhere... I myself had trouble returning an item once but I don't make a point of going out of my way to discourage anyone from using them as there are still a large number of people who have never had any issues using them, feel free to say you'd not use them but please don't use the forums to push your views onto others in such a forceful way. Thanks.

13. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    lol . voicing my experiences with them, see it's spread over here too. Ebuyer replaced monitor without a hassle (not faulty as such, blemish that overclockers would say is acceptable) Not so with overclockers the burden is with YOU to PROVE it's faulty, and if they can't replicate the fault, they say it's not faulty. And when it is faulty they try and pass you to sort it with the manufacturer, not themselves (go direct to WD etc) Or if (to them) It's working under normal operating procedure (say uneven backlight) class it as non faulty.

Still if you want to ignore it go ahead...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  14. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    It's your choice completely Penguin.

Obviously a lot of people do have perfect success with Overclockers but I've heard far more people complain about them than praise them.

It's your call.

15. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Good thing about overclockers is that they're local and offer a broad range, ie ebuyer don't have the MSI twin frofr but overclockers do. And RAM is usually at a good price at oc. But generally they are more expensive than other reputable computer retailers. I've had bad experiences with aria, micro direct, scan, overclockers, pc world and dell.

16. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I think I'll just leave it up to the OP to decide now.

I've had good experiences with eBuyer and Scan, and hence have never used any other companies. I've heard bad things about Overclockers and as for the other sites, I've never heard anyone raving about how good they are but I can't remember hearing people complaining about them either.

17. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the input folks. If I were putting the computer together myself I'd probably go with ebuyer, in my experiance they usually have the best prices and great customer services. But, to be honest I can't be bothered with the hassle of doing it myself so I want a shop assembled one where I can customise the parts (that's shop assembled not a branded factory pre build).

In regards to the four vs six core, for the sake of like £25 I figure I might as well?

Thanks again for all your input everyone.

18. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey everyone it's me again.

So this with a 5770 and windows 7 home is pretty much what I'm looking for - might go for the 5850 if I'm feeling extravigent though. £20 over budget though but.. bah.

"Titan Decimator" AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1055T 95W Edition 2.80GHz @ 3.80GHz DDR3 System []

What do you think guys? Given the luxery I'd rather custom the psu to an antec trupower and a 1tb hdd, happy other components though. I'm thinking quiet and efficent with this pc but while still having decent performance.

Thrill me with other suggestions if you please :)

19. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Replace AMD for Intel. Just because the AMD has six doesn't mean it's faster than a quad. The Intel quads out perform the AMD six cores. Only where the application really uses multi-core (rendering, encoding) does the AMD pull ahead. But for games, clock for clock the Intels are faster. They've been faster for a while. I don't know why you'd build a AMD system if it's specially for gaming (not AMD basher had three)

20. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
  21. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the input guys. I just always figured AMD was the best option with this kind of budget, but I'm happy to admit I'm out of touch and generally pretty ignorant.

Is it not likely that games and other software will go on to use six core processors though?

Am I silly to not really be too fussed with overclocking?

That build posted above does look cool, slightly excessive overclocking though? Or am I just a captain slow.

22. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I'd still say AMD probably are the better option. That way, you can spend more money on the GPU, which matters much more for gaming.

Six cores is pretty unnecessary. By the time applications start to use six cores, the 1055T will probably be quite a poor hexa-core. At the moment, you will see a difference when encoding and so on, but when gaming and doing most other things the X4 965 would perform better thanks to its higher clock speed.

As for overclocking, it can never be too high as long as the temperatures and voltages are fine ;)

23. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Six core will allow you to open six instances of notepad. You can't do that on a quad core!

24. Ellis

Ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Lol...

25. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey everyone it's me again. Still not got a new computer and still a little confused. Want to get a new computer before VAT goes up though. Anyone found any good deals in the sales for gaming computers around my budget?

Many thanks.

26. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sadly not. In same boat as you. Was going to go for a Dino PC, until I read a number of negative reviews. Was also going to go with Overclockers but again, many negative reviews of late. Don't REALLY fancy a self build so thinking of a Chillblast Rapier or Swift. Also looking at Pallicomp. No brilliant deals around though :(

Current system is a Dell XPS 600 which I've never been that keen on. I also had the monitor pack up on me and the DVD drive is rubbish so no more Dell's for me.

27. alasrati

alasrati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Self-building is easy and more manly.

I would not worry about the VAT rise. If the retailers don't absorb it themselves, the general drop in component prices will cancel it out soon enough. New Intel chips are out soon so the current ones should get cheaper then.

28. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the input guys, I've come up with a build I think I'm quite happy with...

£60 Computer assembly
    £12 Lite on DVD RW
    £90 Coolmaster silent pro gold 600w
    £50 Antec 300
    £150 Asus 6850 CU Edition
    £80 Windows 7 home OEM
    £50 1tb WD HDD
    £45 4gb Kingston hyperX 1600 (2x2gb)
    £160 Intel i5 760
    £65 MSI H55M E33 Motherboard

Prices are rounded but the total build come out at £760. I know £60 is quite a lot for the build, but the way I see it... If I'm already spending £700 I want it to be assembled professionally and running properly rather than slung together by some prune like myself. Saves a lot of stress and hassle too.

Ok questions...

Is the motherboard alright? I'm only ever going to have a single graphics card.
    Is there some weird optimal configeration of RAM with this processor/motherboard?

Thanks again everyone.

29. alasrati

alasrati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No the mobo is not great. I would strongly recommend getting a P55 chipset mobo (has a better storage controller and some other stuff that I have forgotten).

You can get the Asus P7P55 LX for £75. I use that with my i5-750 and it has been solid for me.

If you have money to spare then paying £60 isn't too bad, but self-building really isn't very hard. It will also make you more confident and competent to upgrade parts yourself in the future.

30. PenguinWithHair

PenguinWithHair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, think I'll revise the motherboard to a MSI P55-CD53.