New company car, what are your thoughts?

leeince

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just been told I'm getting a brand new company car in a couple of weeks time.
I'm getting a Hyundai i30 style. I have never taken any notice of Hyundai's in the past so I know nothing about them.

Do any of you own one or know someone that does, what are your impressions?

Last edited:
Is that supposed to be helpful?

If my company forced me to have a hyundai - I would look for another job - so in a way it is helpful...

I hear crazy frog coming to tell you how good they are...blam blam wheeee!

(personally every hyundai I have driven or been in has been a tarted up old design - poor quality trim and finish and gutless engines - good luck)

I had one for a day in early 2011 while my Fiesta was being repaired after a shunt, cant remember what engine but it wasn't an exciting drive by any stretch.

However, I preferred the interior quality and layout of the i30 to the Fiesta and it was certainly comfortable.

FZR400RRSP said:
Modern Hyundais are very impressive.

What are the interiors like now ? , I wasn't impressed last time I saw one , all hard plastic everywhere ....

paulyoung666 said:
What are the interiors like now ? , I wasn't impressed last time I saw one , all hard plastic everywhere ....

As good as many other manufacturers.
Really, around 2010 was the turning point for Kia and Hyundai, anything prior to that can be ignored as irrelevant.

My Dad has one of these on order, due for delivery in August. Not sure what engine, but will be an auto.

mjn said:
My Dad has one of these on order, due for delivery in August. Not sure what engine, but will be an auto.

Do you know when in August?? Mines also on order but I haven't been given a date just it will be soon.

As good as many other manufacturers.
Really, around 2010 was the turning point for Kia and Hyundai, anything prior to that can be ignored as irrelevant.

Additionally, the improvements since then are quite impressive, with quality and design getting better with time and refreshes. We have loads of Kia's floating around at work and you can tell the difference between the very latest Rio and Optima and the Pro Cee'd. The newer models, including the very latest model of Cee'd, feel even better still compared to cars just a couple of years old.

The downside is you're now paying an equivalent price to the rest of the competition, so it's fair to expect an equal quality.

RobM said:
The downside is you're now paying an equivalent price to the rest of the competition, so it's fair to expect an equal quality.

You're still usually getting more for your money though, in terms of equipment and warranty.

I've just come back from holiday which involved around 750 miles in 4 days of driving in a hire car - Hyundai i30 1.6D 'Blue leaf'.

The car was as you'd expect, with the main positives:
Reliable
Comfortable
Well-equipped
Good fuel economy
Reasonably good handling (although not pushed too hard)

Negatives:
Bland exterior / interior (although subjective)
Cheap plastics for the interior
Poor (vague) gearbox

As a reliable A to B car then not a bad choice, but I don't think you'd choose it as a car for 'fun driving on a Sunday morning'!

Would I buy one for myself?
No way!
Would I recommend one to my father-in-law? Probably!
:)
Sidicks

Last edited:
I've just come back from holiday which involved around 750 miles in 4 days of driving in a hire car - Hyundai i30 1.6D 'Blue leaf'.

The car was as you'd expect, with the main positives:
Reliable
Comfortable
Well-equipped
Good fuel economy
Reasonably good handling (although not pushed too hard)

Negatives:
Bland exterior / interior (although subjective)
Cheap plastics for the interior
Poor (vague) gearbox

As a reliable A to B car then not a bad choice, but I don't think you'd choose it as a car for 'fun driving on a Sunday morning'!

Would I buy one for myself?
No way!
Would I recommend one to my father-in-law? Probably!
Sidicks

Hyundai i30 prices | News | Auto Express

So the hyundai is getting better... but the price is nearly that of a golf... so it NEEDs to be better!

I think the Hyundai storey will be like the Skoda one......historically a crappy marque improving all the time, as they are the underdogs, and have it all to prove. I think a Hyundai looks like a good buy at the moment and I have actually looked more closely at a couple of the models, thinking...... ' that looks quite nice'!

Just did Milton Keynes to Aberdeen today, in the wife's new ix35 ( 7 hours )
Nice journey, comfy and relaxing car.
Real solid and quality feel to it, and I'm used to that with my own cars.

Last edited:
A friend has an i30 courtesy car at the moment and is really liking it, a guy at work just got an i40 for a company car and its fully loaded for what he's paying, he couldnt getting anthing german with that much spec for the price. Only thing i dont like is the wheels are tiny and they have flowers on the tyres.

My dads starting to look at a new Optima or Hyundai to replace his Skoda as they have come a long way and offer longer warranties. The interior qualities are really good now and in my opinion match if not better that of some of their more expensive rivals.

If i was offered a company car and it worked out financially in my favour i'd love a brand new i30. If they gave me a bus on wheels like a Touran i'd quit :smashin:

The only company car I've 'kicked off' over was a Golf 1.4SE I was given.
It was supposed to be the 1.8SE but the bloke doing the ordering at that time cocked it up.
I've never driven anything so slow, and I include commercial vehicles in that statement.
I handed the keys to the MD and told him I'd really rather get my own car, I wasn't driving that piece of crap 15 miles each way over hilly roads any more.
He went and got me my first GTI, a dragon green 8 valver. :)

Blue Leaf? Do you mean Blue Drive?

The i30 has just been replaced so was that the old one or the new one?

AIf they gave me a bus on wheels like a Touran i'd quit :smashin:

Yeah, the Touran/Sharan are strange considering they're not sold in the US. I'd guess the vaguely butch design is an attempt at making them look smaller by giving them hatchback/small MPV proportions but in my opinion it's completely failed. The rubbish seats and dark interior don't help either.

EndlessWaves said:
Blue Leaf? Do you mean Blue Drive?

The i30 has just been replaced so was that the old one or the new one?

Yes, that could be the one! There was definitely a 'leaf' symbol after 'Blue' on the back of the car though!!

It seemed fairly new, as most hire cars tend to be - if you can post a picture of old and new I will confirm which one it was!!

Externally I think the new i 30 is quite nice, I know the model I'm getting is the style nav which is the top spec, larger alloys, sat nav, front and rear parking sensors, rear parking camera and all the other bits! In terms of what its like to drive I guess I will just have to wait and see.

EndlessWaves said:
Old and new pics here.

Hard to remember, but i think it looks like the car I hired was the 'old' model.

To my mind, based on the pictures provided above, the new car looks less bland and more aggressive / distinctive.
Sidicks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom