New compact what to get

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by GreggusMaximus, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GreggusMaximus

GreggusMaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im after a new compact camera for my dear old mum her sony is finally starting to die so im on the look out for a replacement basically it needs a decent size screen 3" or there about and a decent optical zoom for the odd ocasions she will use it on distance im budgeting for upto £300-350 but would prefere around £200-£250 ive been looking at the Lumix TZ30 seems pretty nice but not being into photography in any way im a bit out of my depth so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

2. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The TZ30 and Sony HX20V are the two leaders out of the current crop of Super Zoom cameras. The Sony is better at videos and the Panasonic at photos and they both have cashback offers running.

Ultimately, she should pop to the nearest camera dealer and get hands on with both to see which she likes the feel of.

If super zoom is not a requirement, you may want to look at the Canon S100

3. ShiggyWiggy

ShiggyWiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah I'd also recommend getting her to a local camera shop to get hands on with the cameras.

TZ30, HX20V, Canon SX260hs and Nikon S9300 are all worth a look.

I opted for the TZ30 recently and it's ideal for what I wanted it for, takes nice looking images and video, isn't that bulky or heavy and has plenty of useful features.

4. GreggusMaximus

GreggusMaximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the suggestions im leaning towards the Tz30 but will check out the others suggested as for popping down the local shop well its a nice idea but not if this is a birthday present which it is but I may take a look but I think there nothing she cant handle technical wise.