New Clarions

cj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the 2007 Clarions? I can only find German links, although the new range is listed on the UK website: -

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/produc.../MAX973HD/gb-en-product-pf_1158044080657.html

I'm in the market for new Sat. Nav/Multimedia - was looking at the Alpine stuff (W200), but the GUI is a little too Windows 98 for my liking ;) The interface on the Clarions look a lot more up to date. Was also looking at the Pioneer D3, but the Sat Nav on DVD put me off.

Does anyone know anything about the 2007 Clarions? I can only find German links, although the new range is listed on the UK website: -

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/produc.../MAX973HD/gb-en-product-pf_1158044080657.html

I'm in the market for new Sat. Nav/Multimedia - was looking at the Alpine stuff (W200), but the GUI is a little too Windows 98 for my liking ;) The interface on the Clarions look a lot more up to date. Was also looking at the Pioneer D3, but the Sat Nav on DVD put me off.

I spoke to Clarion UK Sales today, 2007 catalogue's out this week with the new MAX973HD due June/July this will replace my ageing VRX928RVD :D

You 've been able to download the 2007 catalogue for a few weeks now - that's why I was puzzled that no one had any info. Not out until June/July? That's a pity :(

anyone know a price for the max973hd?
just wondering if its in my price range . Cant see it in a shop anywhere.

anyone know a price for the max973hd?
just wondering if its in my price range . Cant see it in a shop anywhere.

Not sure on the exact RRP but I've been quoted £1399.00 at a local dealer.

My cousin got the first one installed in his car last Friday. He has had no end of trouble with it.

1) Sat Nav did not work as authorised dealer had connected wrong speed pulse cable.
2) Sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
3) Radio fades in and out, crackles and sometimes looses all reception on "all" stations.

One last thing he mentioned that Clarion unit had no sub out. I think Clarion have got it wrong with this one. How can a top end unit not have a sub out.

Sat Nav "apparantly" works fine now but I have observed points 2 & 3. Apparantly dealer and Clarion not too helpful either. Won't take unit back.

Best advice I can give is to leave it alone. Go for the Pioneer, even the dealers say that. Not sure how much he paid but I think somewhere between £1100 and £1500 inc fitting.

Thanks for the report - have been using a Pioneer for a couple of years now (AVIC X1), and just fancied a change rather than buying the AVIC-HD3BT. Think I may have to go see both in action.

BTW only £1206.99 here: -

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/MAX973HD/

Checked with my cousin this morning. He paid £1200 + £150 fitting.

Some approved dealers are reluctant to fit units purchased from other sources. He could not find a dealer in London who had both units in stock and on display.

If Clarion / dealer fix the outstanding issues then he is planning to go for the bluetooth and TV option.

Let me know if you need additional info about the product.

My cousin got the first one installed in his car last Friday. He has had no end of trouble with it.

1) Sat Nav did not work as authorised dealer had connected wrong speed pulse cable.
2) Sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
3) Radio fades in and out, crackles and sometimes looses all reception on "all" stations.

One last thing he mentioned that Clarion unit had no sub out. I think Clarion have got it wrong with this one. How can a top end unit not have a sub out.

Sat Nav "apparantly" works fine now but I have observed points 2 & 3. Apparantly dealer and Clarion not too helpful either. Won't take unit back.

Best advice I can give is to leave it alone. Go for the Pioneer, even the dealers say that. Not sure how much he paid but I think somewhere between £1100 and £1500 inc fitting.

Dear Sharmar1962,

We’ve had many conversations with your cousin and whilst your comments are much appreciated we doubt very much if anything was wrong with the manufacturer or design of the MAX973HD originally purchased. Note your cousin was, after returning to the supplying dealer, immediately supplied a replacement headunit, despite we hasten to add these suspicions!

Upon learning of your cousin’s difficulty, several days after purchase, we (Clarion) made arrangements to further assist, so I’d like to think that we’ve been nothing less than extremely helpful.

As you know your cousin is currently unavailable but please be assured, we have muted made arrangements to meet with him upon his return, just to ensure that everything is okay from a set-up point of view.

Best regards

Clarion
:hiya:

Clarion
Thanks for joining the thread.

Yes, he mentioned he was meeting up with you either this week or next to discuss sound quality issues. I did not want to hijack this forum so did not update. But as you have been kind enough to update this forum a question for you as I too am looking to get similar unit for my car.

Are there any plans to add "sub out" or "pre amp out" to these units in the future? I was astonished to see them omitted from what is deemed to be a top end unit and most ICE installers I have talked to don't recommend connecting amps any other way.

Must admit, from what I have seen of the unit (a lot) the rest of the features are spot on.

cj - sorry for taking over your thread but I think this is useful info. I will drop
out of you think this is not useful.

Hi

In answer to your question with regard the lack of line-out… There are two options that you may care to consider. We have within our product portfolio a sister model, namely MAX678RVD. This source unit has what you’re looking for i.e. a 6 channel line-out. Apart from just being voted headunit of the year by the folk at EISA http://www.eisa-awards.eu/eisa_awards/node/729this variant is more modular. For example you can choose whether or not to have satellite navigation given this comes in the form of a blackbox…

The alternative is to use amplification that allows line-level input, these amps have inbuilt attenuators, meaning they allow you to use your speaker output as signal.

Most of the features found on our MAX973HD are present on the MAX678RVD, although the Bluetooth telephone interface is different, and Music Catcher c/w gracenotes is absent.

The typical selling price of the MAX678RVD is but £699.00 Inc vat. The blackbox satnav module, which has the same functionality as found in our MAX973HD has a TSP of £799.00

Hope that helps

Clarion
:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom