1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Circuit?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Wolfman310, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I currently have just a normal switch for my bedroom, with 6 halogens coming off it.

I want to add another switch so that i can have lights dimmed on a wall, or have the halogens.

Up at the rose is 3/4 black wires, as well as the normal two, which is for the switches, aparently is was cheaper when the house was built to do it all at the rose.

How would i go about adding another switch, so i can add 4 wall lights around the room?

Ii want to make sure it is right before i do it.

Thanks,

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's quite normal to wire lighting by daisy-chaining a live feed from rose to rose (called loop-in loop-out). In addition to the earth terminal, each rose has Live, Neutral and Switch/Lamp terminals blocks. The feed loop connects to the L and N blocks. The switch wires connect to the L and Switch/Lamp block, the Lamp connects to the Switch/Lamp and Neutral block.

The earth terminal should have four wires, sleeved green/yellow.
    The live terminal should have 3, all red (L in, L out, Switch)
    The neutral terminal should have 3, all black (N in, N out, Lamp)
    The switch/lamp terminal should have two, one black with red sleeve (from the switch), the other red (to the lamp).

All cables in the rose would normally be twin+earth. Either Red/Black, or recently Blue/Brown. The black(blue) of the switch cable should have a red(brown) sleeve to show that it's live.

Hopefully, you can work out how it's wired from the above. To add more lighting points, just extend the loop in/out to another rose or junction box and go from there. Always assuming, of course, that you don't increase the total load/length above the circuit design point.

3. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks,

Is what i needed,

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Your welcome.

I guess for completeness I should add that if the cable to the lamp is a flex, it will (should) have the brown/blue colours, not the red/black