New Cinema setup ......now which projector ?

Stevie D

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Wondering if some of you would be so kind as to help me out.

I had a home cinema room in my last house which I used lots and loved it, I had -
Panasonic PT AE 700 projector
KEF 2005.1 speakers
Yamaha amp ( can't remember the model )
Rf electric 80" drop down screen
I used it mainly for watching sky tv, movies and the odd call of duty session on my PS3

I built a new home which I moved into this year I have a room setup to be a cinema, I have -
Yamaha RXV 777 amp
B&W CWM 362 speakers x 7
KEF 250w subwoofer x 2
One wall painted with pourascreen paint

The only item I need to complete my setup is a projector, I don't want to spend more than about £1800 ( less is ok ) , I'll be using for same use as previous sky, movies, PS3. I'd like the projector to be whisper quiet my previous Panasonic could generate quite a lot of fan noise.
I'd like to stick with LCD rather than DLP.
The room is 5m x 5m, so the projector will be 5m from the screen but in the centre. I'll need to use vertical lens shift as when on the shelf the lens will be 2150 off the floor, screen centre will be 1450.
I can go 280cm horizontally and 190cm vertically so one of those maximums will determine the screen size.

I had been looking at the Sony HW40 but it has been out for a while now maybe some other brand's newer models would be better ? Any recommendations or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
The Sony HW40 is very solid at that price. Sony just released their new range keeping the HW40.
Another PJ to look at in that price range would be the Epson TW7200

Thanks cmclean, like the fact the Epson has the connections on the rear as opposed to the side where the Sony has them. Anyone know which of the two is quieter in normal operating mode ?

Not actually had them side-by-side but the impression I have is they are practically the same in low lamp mode (which I would generally run either of them in in a light-controlled room). Perhaps the Sony is a little quieter when you up the brightness, but again - I've not had them side by side so that's just an impression. For watching movies in low-lamp though both are whisper quiet and unlikely to annoy you.

The side connections on the 40 are odd for ceiling mounting, but actually quite good if you shelf mount at the back of the room. Also connections-wise, the 7200 has a trigger out and I notice you have an electric screen, this is a very cool feature which the 40 lacks (assuming your screen supports it). Both are excellent in terms of operation and performance at their price point though.

Thanks AV online, I'm mounting the projector on a chunky shelf at the back of the room which was the power point and wires inside so maybe the side connections aren't so bad. I have a painted wall in this room to project onto so trigger isn't an issue. Think I'm leaning towards the Sony to be honest

Sorry, could have sworn it said electric screen in your signature when I posted that! If you're ever down in Lancashire then feel free to drop in and see the Sony...

Don't worry your not going mad, I saw my signature was out of date so edited it. Thanks for the offer but a bit far for me no options up here in the North East of Scotland for viewing any so I'll just have to take a leap of faith.

Your cinema is looking good Cableguy. Sounds like you found a good deal going to keep my eyes peeled this week ( black Fri ) if either are on a deal than might push me one way.

Your cinema is looking good Cableguy. Sounds like you found a good deal going to keep my eyes peeled this week ( black Fri ) if either are on a deal than might push me one way.
Thanks Stevie D. Yeah, I was really lucky. Brand new unit for £1332. I've watched it since and haven't seen it drop below £1599. Glad I took the plunge. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom