Question New cinema room - Projector and Screen required

andypuk

Hi All,

I've never owned a projector before, but i'm currently changing the use of one room and would like to set up a cinema room.

Dimensions of the room are 86" wide and 168" long. I don't need to use up the whole length of the room as I would be sitting at the far end to watch where-ever the screen would be.

I'd say i've got around a budget of up to £3k for a projector and screen (possibly a bit more if improved quality would benefit from it)

So questions:-

1. What projector would you recommend? I will require ability to project 3D movies and want to be able to do 4K. I see the so called 'budget' projectors use DLP tech, but would i benefit from anything else in this budget?
2. What screen, and what screen size would you recommend? It will need to be either a pull down or motorised screen.
3. There won't a wall behind where the screen will go, would this be a problem for screen movement while watching? e.g. are they quite weighted when pulled down?

Thanks all - sorry for the very newbie questions, but my first venture in to projector tech!

Andy

Last edited:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Your wall width will limit your screen size quite a bit because the housings are usually a good 2"-3" each side bigger than the screen width, I'm sure you can get screens smaller than 84" roll down it's just finding one that fits the width of your room.

andypuk

Your wall width will limit your screen size quite a bit because the housings are usually a good 2"-3" each side bigger than the screen width, I'm sure you can get screens smaller than 84" roll down it's just finding one that fits the width of your room.

Thats a good point actually - i need to check what the maximum screen size i can get in to the room width - may not be worth it in the end

Wouldn't this fit in? - Optoma DS-9092PWC

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Thats a good point actually - i need to check what the maximum screen size i can get in to the room width - may not be worth it in the end

Wouldn't this fit in? - Optoma DS-9092PWC

That screen has a housing size of 88.6 inches, that’s 2.6 inches wider than your room. If they do a slightly smaller screen then you might be in luck.

This 84” 16:9 screen will work as it’s housing is 81.9”, it’s a manual pull down screen which is why I reckon it’s housing is closer to the actual screen size.

Last edited:

andypuk

That screen has a housing size of 88.6 inches, that’s 2.6 inches wider than your room. If they do a slightly smaller screen then you might be in luck.

This 84” 16:9 screen will work as it’s housing is 81.9”, it’s a manual pull down screen which is why I reckon it’s housing is closer to the actual screen size.

Thanks for that. Any comments on if this screen will work as there won't be a wall behind it - so want to ensure it won't move.

Also - any suggestions on which model projectors?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. Any comments on if this screen will work as there won't be a wall behind it - so want to ensure it won't move.

Also - any suggestions on which model projectors?

Honestly couldn’t answer whether it would move or not, I think it would depend on if there was a draft or not.

As for projector, what’s your budget limit?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Budget is around 3k.

Decent budget, do you have a photo or two of the room. I’m curious as to why the screen needs to be floating from the ceiling instead of against the wall. I’m wondering if it’s possible to project at 90 degree to the screen using a mirror to allow you to gain the extra length needed to throw a screen size of 92” or maybe 100”.

andypuk

Room in a state at the moment, but it will be like this as was thinking using the length of the room to sit facing as opposed to the width:-

1604148860563.png

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom