New Cinema Display

baldrick

Prominent Member
Reaction score
To complement the laptops thread and to ensure it doesn't get lost here's one for the new display, which I think is brilliant.

I really like the quasi-docking station thing they've done the only drawback for me is the fact that it doesn't allow dual inputs ie. iMac AND MacBook/Pro/Air....

That said I'd still love one standing next to my iMac!

Last edited:
I agree - looks great. I have a 24" iMac - all applications, video, photos etc look great on a high def screen. Can highly recommend a good quality and large screen for anyone considering buying one.

I'm really tempted to get one to use with my iMac so I can extend the desktop.

while i like the simplicity and connectivity, im a bit disapointed it does support proper dvi-d dual link cables

I'm really tempted to get one to use with my iMac so I can extend the desktop.

At the moment you can't as this display connects using Displayport, so you'll need a mini-DVI to Displayport adapter!?!?

Whilst I can understand the inclusion of better speakers I'm not 100% certain why they've included an extra microphone and iSight? Unless they make and interface unit it's not like you can use this display with a Mac mini to give you full video, voice and sound, and the devices it's designed to work with all have microphones and iSights!?!?

The cynic in me is thinking that a new connection standard means Apple are going to make a nice bit of extra cash from the sales of Displayport converters.

It looks like its not available to order yet anyway, so maybe I should keep my eyes open for a second hand 23" Cinema Display instead. I guess the benefit to having the iSight built-in is if I was to replace my iMac with a Mac Pro at any point.

I guess the benefit to having the iSight built-in is if I was to replace my iMac with a Mac Pro at any point.

Whilst this makes sense, from Apple's perspective this display is not designed to work with either of the 'headless' macs!?!?

i think this product is the best thing to come out from the new laptops
its got a bigger screen, better designed and cheaper

At the moment you can't as this display connects using Displayport, so you'll need a mini-DVI to Displayport adapter!?!?

Whilst I can understand the inclusion of better speakers I'm not 100% certain why they've included an extra microphone and iSight? Unless they make and interface unit it's not like you can use this display with a Mac mini to give you full video, voice and sound, and the devices it's designed to work with all have microphones and iSights!?!?

Erm you connect up your laptop to the display, a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and close the lid and you have a full desktop computer?

Erm you connect up your laptop to the display, a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and close the lid and you have a full desktop computer?

Realistically though how many people will do that rather than run it in dual screen, that's how Apple are demoing/marketing it:

Moderator comment: don't use images that are embedded on 3rd party site, use a image host or similar

Moderator comment: don't use images that are embedded on 3rd party site, use a image host or similar

Last edited by a moderator:
From Apple site:

"System Requirements-

MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with Mini DisplayPort"

I can't believe that it only supports Macs with a Mini Display Port, meaning any Mac before today can't use it. Why?

Surely Apple are missing out on a big market here? it can't connect to any Mac Pros, iMacs or older Macbooks/iBooks/MacBooks Pros is very stupid in my opinion.

An adaptor has to come out, but you think it'd be available now, or at least advertised as coming soon.

Like the look of them...But they are underconnected (is that English!?)

For a moment I thought I am still within my 7 days of sending back my Dell 3008wfp, but
a) it is not that high a resolution
b) too few ports on it (what about HDMI, s-Video, component etc to make it more versatile and inline with the competition...

But no information regarding the panel. Is this is the same as the 24-inch that HP sells for £425 which is an H-IPS panel (that is good!)...So that is a lot of money for the styling...

Like the iSight though.....

This is another carefully crafted product that's designed not to interfere with ACD sales - expect a revision to those sooner rather than later now. There's nothing in this spec that Dell's haven't had for a while. Probably the same panel as well again.

Sorry I am quite happy with my 24 inch I Mac and Macbook, I do not need both to mate in some incestuous relationship.:)

This is another carefully crafted product that's designed not to interfere with ACD sales - expect a revision to those sooner rather than later now. There's nothing in this spec that Dell's haven't had for a while. Probably the same panel as well again.

you could be right although if this is a pva panel like the iMac and the dells it would be overpriced by about £400. That is seriously overpriced and not good enough. I would have hoped that at least they had the sense to use the same panel as the hp 2475w which is so much better as in colour accurate.

Realistically though how many people will do that rather than run it in dual screen, that's how Apple are demoing/marketing it

i know but by adding those bits you mentioned it makes it a possibility for those that want to

anyway personally i think ill wait for the new imacs to come out and just buy one of those

I took a stroll into an Apple store yesterday and they had the 24" display hooked up to a MB. They make a very nice pairing I have to say.

The only thing I was surprised about is that when I fired up PhotoBooth it defaulted to the iSight in the MB not the one in the screen. The sound was coming from the screen but I couldn't see an easy way to switch between the two iSights!?!?

Realistically though how many people will do that rather than run it in dual screen, that's how Apple are demoing/marketing it:

Well, i would be one at least. I normally use my original macbook closed and hooked up to my 23" ACD. It works wonderfully and its one of the strongest plus points for me in my mac ownership. It just all works so well.

I am very excited about the new cinema display, but since i have already had the 23" experience, that extra inch isnt gonna rock my world.... the moment they release the 30 inch version, im all over it. Well thats not quite true. My macbook is more than a couple of years old now and so im thinking that i will wait until snow leopard and upgrade to whatever spec macbook or macbook pro combined with a new style 30" acd.

anyone care to speculate when the 30" will arrive... to be honest i was quite surprised that they didnt just release both a 24" and 30" version.

I don't think they will release a 30" in this format. I think they will revamp the regular ACD line and this one will remain a MB/MBP accessory.

i think it only suits well with the new macbook, macbook pro, macbook air and imac
the mac mini and mac pro suits the older ones

I don't think they will release a 30" in this format. I think they will revamp the regular ACD line and this one will remain a MB/MBP accessory.

seriously? i hadnt considered that but doesnt seem to make sense to me at all. Why would apple then want to have two lines of apple cinema displays? After all, the existing line is also a MB / MBP accessory as well.

seriously? i hadnt considered that but doesnt seem to make sense to me at all. Why would apple then want to have two lines of apple cinema displays? After all, the existing line is also a MB / MBP accessory as well.

I may be wrong, but I think Tenex may have been suggesting that Apple won't do a 30" with the MacBook hookups. I'd have thought the new ACDs will all follow this form factor but with different connections and maybe dropping the iSight/speakers etc...?

Whilst the 24" + cam + speakers + mic seems like the dream screen for a Mac mini it would be a little pointless because by the time you've bought both you might as well get an iMac!?!?

Personally I think this is a brilliant bit of kit if your setup accomodates it and if it weren't for an abject shortage of cash on my part I'd be trying to find a way to make it fit. It looks stunning in the flesh!

I was reading a thread on this product on another Mac forum and people were getting far to passionate about it. One guy was screaming for the world to boycott this display to prove to Apple that they're wrong and that this is an overpriced piece of crap that has no market!!!!!! I was tempted to sign up just to post a 'calm down dear, it's only a Cinema Display....' post!!!!

I may be wrong, but I think Tenex may have been suggesting that Apple won't do a 30" with the MacBook hookups. I'd have thought the new ACDs will all follow this form factor but with different connections and maybe dropping the iSight/speakers etc...?

That's exactly what I meant. It would be great if the new ACDs incorporated iSight's but they don't usually accommodate speakers and if they are supposed to be the pro-line they probably would omit them. At the end of the day if you're paying this much for a screen then you might be able to afford some dedicated speakers ;)

you see, it is my opinion that the new display IS the new apple cinema display. this is backed up because on the apple website it is called the apple led cinema display. i dont think that they will release another update and cut out the isight or speakers. aint gonna happen, i can almost guarantee it. any new cinema display will just be a variation on size. the likely reason why we havent seen a 30 inch version is just that it is currently not quite cost effective enough to produce in a LED variety just yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom