1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New centre speaker to replace MS905C

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kazman, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well, my wife, on one of her frenzied tidy missions, knocked my centre speaker to the floor :nono: :mad: :censored: , it is now, basically, FUBAR, big chip on the surface, and a big dent in one of the cones. Wouldn't have been too bothered, but it now sounds a bit, well, ill. It gravels when high pitched voices are put through it at low volumes, and doesn't sound 'right'.

So I have to do a forced replacement.

Now, my dilema is that I was going to do a speaker upgrade for the front three when I moved everything to the loft conversion in the new yr, now, I may either replace the MS905 with it's current equivalent, or upgrade. With the current Mordaunt Short range, there isn't anywhere to upgrade to for the centre, I could either replace with the Avant version, or the new Genie centre speaker.

Or I could move to another brand, but, if I do that, I want a significant upgrade. Any suggestions?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman try the M&K speakers you won't regret it, you have an SVS and they partner well :smashin:

John :)

3. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    As an alternative, I listened to many speakers before deciding that the Spendor had the most natural dialogue, and a real open ease of presentation.
    Quite the opposite end of the spectrum to the in your face m&K sound, which I use for surround speakers.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I like the idea of the Spendor, I like a nice warm/natural sounding centre, I've never heard an M&K Centre, will have a listen to Johns when I go to check out his M&K MX-350 :D

BTW, I'm very happy with the THX Select MS506 rears, so will probably keep these when moving the system upstairs.

Any more suggestions?

Ed, you around mate? What is your opinion on the MS Genie center compared to the 905C?

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,293
    Hmm- it will work but I'm not sure if it will be spot on tonally. As this dilemma demonstrates, there is a huge ole gap between the 504 at £200 until the upcoming Performance Model 5 centre which isn't ready yet and will have a four figure price when it does. The Spendor suggestion is a good one and after a weekend listening to the Epos M5 at the Heathrow show, the Epos M8 centre would be a good possibility in terms of colour and because the tweeter is a very close relative of our own.

It is on www.epos-acoustics.com

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Spendor is a bit out of my price range, after just splashing out on an SVS PC Ultra and getting the upstairs carpetted, I wasn't intending to spend more than £400.

What do people think of the Kef Q9C centre or the Quad L Centre?

I love the look of the Quad, and it will please the wife immensely, I also like the Quad IIL's for their sound ability. Do you think the Quads or Kef would be a good match for the fronts?

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Anybody? :) Want to get a replacement before the weekend, or the current center is going to drive me crazy :eek:

I'm currently leaning towards the Quad L Center.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman,

there was an issue with the quad's center and magnetic sheilding but i think thy have sorted that out :rolleyes:
    the finish of the quads is quite superb especially the birds eye maple, i had the 11L's and god do they shine :D

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah, the finish on the Quad L series speakers just oozes quality.

I think I'm going to order the Quad then, now to find a good price :)

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    OK, I think I'm settled on the Quads, the cheapest I could find is £349 from AVLand. I've also put a wanted ad in the classifieds here. I can't decide between the Rosewood colour or the Birds Eye Maple, anybody seen the Rosewood finish on the Quad L series speakers?

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Right, the Quad L Centre has now been ordered in Rosewood, should get it in about a week as AV Land have to order it direct from Quad.

Again, sterling service from AV Land, can't reccomend them highly enough!

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,293
    Hope you like it :thumbsup:.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I hope so too, it has a lot to live up to, as the MS905C is a fantastic centre.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will it be ok for tonal match seeing that you have MS for all the other speakers?

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It should be fairly close, I will probably be upgrading the fronts to Quad 22L's when I move the system to the Loft Conversion anyway, so if it doesn't match now, they will later :D

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice, the 22ls have lots of bass have only just sold a pair of them in piano black.

17. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,293
    If you were long term matching the 914's the Epos would have done the job better but with a longer term plan to move to Quad the L centre is a nice bit of kit.

Of course we're preparing an almighty spanner to throw into the works if it takes you longer than eight months but there you go ;).

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You are so evil Ed :p :D

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,293
    Can't sit there with a big hole in the range can we? :D.

20. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Looks like there is going to be a bit of a delay, Quad have no stock of the Rosewood centre speaker, and won't have any until the end of the month :eek:

My MS905C has now come back to life again, and is sounding fine for some strange reason, haven't told the wife this yet though :), still want to go for the Quad, as I'm very interested in going for the 22L's to complete the fronts.

Service and communication from AVLand has again been excellent.

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hopefully the Quad will be with AV Land by tomorrow or Monday. I'm hoping for tomorrow so I can get it installed and run in over the weekend.

The 905C has started to play up again, so the timing is perfect :D

Will post feedback on its performance and tonal compatibility after a few days of running in.

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Quad has arrived, I get more and more impressed with the finish of these speakers everytime I see them, and in Rosewood, it looks amazing!! It has immense WAF!!!!!

I haven't noticed any vast shifts in tonal compliance with my fronts, but what I have noticed is another league of transparency!! And it hasn't even run in yet.

Great speaker, it is smaller than the 905C, but a lot nicer to look at and it does sound better. That is a mighty accomplishment in itself, as the MS905 centre is a cracking speaker!!.

Now if only I could decide between the Quad 22L and 21L

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman Well done on getting your new centre but with ref to your above statement i did own the 22L's and they are very nice speakers but it was for a Hi Fi only setup, from my own experience with that particular speaker i would suggest to go for the 21L's as the bass is more controlled especially that you have the SVS to handle the low frequencies other wise i could see problems with intergration as the 22L's can be a little harder to controll the Lower Frequencies.

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I was thinking the same thing and was discussing this with Daneel earlier in the day.

There is also a £200 saving in the rrp. I think the 21L's will be the best buy.

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would maybe also consider the 12L's as they have a very nice and tight bass and again are cheaper speakers ;)

26. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I prefer floorstanders for the fronts, they should be more dynamic than the 12L's. Would love to get a side by side comparison done of them, maybe at the what hi-fi show in November, I know Quad will be there, so might go and have a listen.

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Quad will be there i hope the rooms alittle bigger this year than it was last year, couldn't swing a cat in there :(

28. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the whole MS Performance range is on www.av-land.co.uk by the way. I have to say, it looks extremely sweet :) though I think i prefer the styling of my old ms860s...

29. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Quad is lovely, so much so that I want to accelerate the purchase of the 21L's now.

I've also found out the reason my 905C was distorting was due to the binding post not being screwed on tight enough :suicide: :rolleyes: DOH! Well, at least I got the ok for the upgrade from the wife :D so it wasn't all bad.

Going to sell my MS914's and MS905C centre for £250ish all together, not a bad price considering I paid £420 for them. I am going to give a friend first refusal before putting them up for sale on the forums though.

Have to say, service from AVLand was top notch again, they even brought the speaker to the house personally as they were delivering a Plasma screen down south the same evening (which is a wise move considering how delicate Plasma's are when transporting them).

I demoed the SVS PC Ultra to Kingsley (who I believe owns AV LAnd), and he was quite impressed with what he heard from it :).