1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New centre advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NickyDrinks, Dec 2, 2003.

1. NickyDrinks

NickyDrinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm currently looking to start upgrading my speakers and have decided to start with the front centre.

At the minute I using :

Centre : small speaker from my old cambridge soundworks 5.1 package (sounds pretty bad).

Front L/R : Royd Abbots

Rear L/R : Old Kef Chorales

Receiver : Yamaha HTR5640

I'm considering either the B&W LCR3 or the Mission M3C2. Once I've replaced the centre I'm hoping to change my rears and stick with the same manufacturer.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which one of these would be my best choice? (Its a fairly large room).

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is important that the front three speakers are voiced similarly so the obvious choice would be something from the Royd range.

Are they still trading as a quick Google didn't turn up anything. If they are they would be the best people to ask.

3. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Ian has just said, it's very important to match the front sound stage.I to didn't think it made a lot of difference until recently.I had B&W 602 s3's as my mains and a Morduant Short 905c as a centre.Then I got a B&W LCR60 to match my 602s3's and it transformed the whole of the front.
    So if you're going to change you're centre then change all fo you're front sound stage, or as Ian said match the centre to you're existing mains.

Andy

4. NickyDrinks

NickyDrinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Can't seem to find anything suitable for a centre made by Royd, not sure I could afford it even if I could :)

If I went with the Mission centre I would be able to replace the front's with something like the M33s (the Royds could be used for music in another room). The only problem then would be what to replace the rears with. According to the Mission website the rears to match these speakers are bi-polar but my local dealer reckons I would be better off with direct speakers considering the size of the room. Would the M32s be suitable for rears in this setup?

The B&W floorstanders to match the LC3 seem quite a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Cheers.

5. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nicky,

you have mentioned the size of you're room, what is the size of you're room ? , and how far to the side or rear (depending on placement ?? ) are the rears going to be ? , and can you're amp/receiver drive 4 Ohms ? , and last but not least , what is you're budget ?
    Sorry Nicky :( , but I have answered you're question with lots of others.This is so others can point you in the right direction of where to start, then you can audition the good ones side by side, and let you're ear tell you which ones.If you go to a nice dealer (I haven't found one in my area that will do this) they let let you demo products at home, to see what there like in YOUR setup.This is because room acoustics are all different depending size, shape amount of glass, carpet or wood floor, empty flat wall space , etc etc etc. Also it is unlikely that you're dealer will have the same pieces of kit that you have, again with those they all behave in different ways.
    Let us know the answers and you will get lots of sugestions:smashin:

Andy

6. NickyDrinks

NickyDrinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The room is about 25 feet by 15 feet. The rears are positioned about 12 feet from the television, just behind the seating area (in the middle of the room) so theres quite a large space behind and in front of them. As such they are also fairly widely spaced from the seating. The ceiling is also quite a strange shape since the room is right at the top of the house. Theres a fair amount of bare wall space and the room is carpeted. Hope this description makes sense :)

Not sure about the 4 ohm question though.

I'm looking to spend around £150-£200 each on the centre and rears then get a decent sub some time in the future, possibly before replacing the Royds on the front. The one I'm using at the minute is from my old 5.1 package, it dosen't sound great but I get a fair amount of bass from the Kefs.

I've auditioned the B&W LC3 but it was being used alongside other fairly expensive B&W speakers, a £700 sub and a THX certified amp so it was pretty hard to judge how it would sound in my system :) I'm not sure if my dealer would do home auditioning but I will certainly ask him.

Thanks again for the help.

7. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as the rears go do you currently have you're rears on standmounts just behind the seating area ?, how large(roughly) do you want to go up to in size of these ?
    For the amp, let us know the make and model no. and we can go from there.
    If you really want the LCR3, then get the dm303's to match with that centre, you'll be amazed how good it sounds, with a matching front sound stage, I know I was.

Andy

8. NickyDrinks

NickyDrinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amp is the Yamaha HTR5640

My rears are pretty big and currently sit on top of cabinets just behind and quite wide of the seating area. Physical size of the speakers dosen't really matter since theres a lot of space for them to go. The main reason I'm wanting to replace the rears as well is that the Kefs I currently use are very old and when you play the test tones through them theres quite a difference in sound between the two.

Would the dm303s be suitable for rears in such a large room? I could get the LCR3 and dm303s and then change my Royds on the front l/r speakers to B&W floorstanders in the future. Hope this makes sense. :)

Mainly wondering as well if the B&W ones are likely to sound better than the Mission M3 series since the price seems about the same.

Cheers.