New center speaker with specific measurements

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by emusa, Jun 9, 2009.

1. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello there!

I plan on buying a new center speaker, because I'm not that satisfied with my current one. Voices often sound unclear and there isn't much high-pitch in there.

I own the Pioneer S-V410 5.1 speakerset. Specifications:
    Pioneer S-V410 Compact 5.1 Speaker Set S-V410

I just want a new center speaker - all the other speakers are fine.
    Therefor it's important that the new center somewhat matches the design of the Pioneer S-V410 speakers. The size is very important as well, because it has to stand on top of a platform which isn't much bigger than 370 x 70 x 55 mm.

My question is: what's a good center to replace my old one with, which has measurements
    around 370 x 70 x 55 mm (W x H x D)?

I know this is hard, because most centers are much larger in size. But could you guyz give me some advice?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Well, considering you existing center seems to have a 2 inch woofer, it is no wonder it isn't getting the job done.

Just about any speaker or center is going to be better than this one, it is just a matter of how much you want to spend.

So...how much do you want to spend?

Steve/bluewizard

3. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to spend around 200-300 euro's on a good center. I just hope there are some really good centers out there, which aren't any larger than 370 x 70 x 55 mm.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    At 70 high, you're going to really struggle, as that'll only allow for a 2" driver.

Much better to either reposition the centre or buy a different stand, imo.

5. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I understand what you mean, but this isn't possible. I've got the KRP-500a with the swivel stand. I really like the look of the stand:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/9655-krp500astandspeakers.jpg

There no extra room on the table it is positioned on, so it's just the space on the stand that's left for the center I'm afraid..

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    I mean an AV stand, as in this pic chosen totally at random;

Q Acoustics

7. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I see.. Well, I've never really considered placing my center below the TV in the AV stand. It is a possibility, there is room for that.

But doesn't that sound bad when the center isn't at 'ear-height'. Or do you have to tilt it upwards a little?

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Yes you will have to tilt it up slightly, but let's say you spend 150-175 Euro on a stand, that still leaves you 125 Euro for a speaker which will blow the rest of the speakers to pieces, sound-wise.

Getting a decent sound match would be a bigger problem though and you should be aware of this.

But at least you get a nice posh stand to go with it :thumbsup:

9. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So what you're saying is that a new, better center won't match with the rest of the speakers?

I don't have to buy a new stand, I can use my current AV stand just fine. It's got a space underneath the TV (a drawer) which I could use to place the center speaker in. So I can still use my entire budget for just the center.

10. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I'm thinking for €300 (£258), I would be inclined to think about replacing my front three speakers (left, right, center). A €300 center seems way out of proportion to the rest of your speakers.

I'm guessing, you could get a decent center in the roughly £75 to £125 range (€87 to €145). Though finding something as small as you need, might be difficult, though I think a little ingenuity could solve your problem.

For example, a Tannoy Mercury FC Center at £58 is W x H x D (mm): 430 x 150 x 170. That is relatively small for a center.

The Tannoy SFX center at £58 is W x H x D (mm): 230 x 120 x 95. That is a center for a very compact 'egg/pod' system, but that still doesn't meet your required dimensions.

Another example, Wharfedale Diamond 9.CC at £77 with dimensions of W x H x D (mm): 330 x 120 x 130 (including rubber feet, height=128mm).

I honestly don't think you can do it with a 70mm height requirement. I think you will struggle to get anything less than 150mm high.

If you insist on that height, I think you are stuck with what you have. Any thing that will meet that dimension will likely be no better than what you have.

But, you could get a pair of decent front (L/R) speaker for between £75 and £150, and a center for roughly the same price that would certainly out perform what you have. Estimating £125 for the left/right speakers, and £125 for the center, that puts you right on budget, or more like, it could be done for under budget.

Example -

Tannoy Mercury F1 = £97
    Tannoy Mercury FC = £88

Diamond 9.1 = £126
    Diamond 9.CC = £77

All highly rated speakers.

Since you are quoting in Euros, I have to assume you are not in the UK. I'm not sure what the price and availability is in your region, but these are all fairly common speakers.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I was in a very similar dilemma with my old yamaha centre and ended up getting a Tannoy FC and placing below the TV. Picture doesn't really show it but this is angled upwards slighty using a small wedge underneath.

Another option I've seen a few people on AVF using is to make up some brackets that utilise the ISO fixing holes on the back of the TV and attach a shelf so the Centre sits behind at the top of the TV.

Attached Files:

12. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your input, I will think about it. Maybe replacing the 2 front speakers isn't a bad idea at all.

And I can't find any center speakers in that size either.. unfortunately.

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    There may be easy solutions that you are simply not thinking about.

If you have the center in front of the TV, and a larger center will obscure the low part of the TV, how about just making a little box about two or three inches high, and set the TV on that.

Again, I don't know the specific of your situation, but I'm confident that if you apply your mind to the problem, you can find a solution.

Steve/bluewizard

14. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's not an option either. The center sits on the TV stand, there isn't any room in front of the TV stand. So When I lift the TV (and with it the TV stand) I also lift the center.

Thanks for thinking along :)

15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    When you say 'TV Stand', I assume you mean the base or pedestal that is actually part of the TV, physically attached to the TV.

You can build a small shelf to put the center under and the TV on.

I'm just trying to show you that if you apply your mind directly to the problem, and look for ways you can do it, instead of ways you can't do it, you might actually find a solution.

Again, I can only make broad general statements, I'm not there in your room to see, nor do I know what resources you have available to you.

I'm just saying it is likely there is a solution, even if I don't actually know what it is.

Just trying to encourage you to think about the possibilities. That's all.

Steve/bluewizard

16. ratticon

ratticon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't you find that your dialogue is all off-centre with your centre speaker bang next to the right speaker?

17. ratticon

ratticon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are planning to upgrade the centre speaker it is a very good idea :smashin:

If I were you I would start shopping for a nice set of front speakers that you won't want to upgrade soon after. Then you can save up for the matching centre after you've saved a little more. :)

This not only means you'll have more money to spend on better front speakers but you may find that they perform very well without a centre at all.
    I know several people that have discarded their centre speakers after buying nice front speakers. Most modern amps allow you run a 'phantom centre' where disabling the centre speaker means that the dialogue is evenly mapped to the front left and right speakers.

Personally i'm currently running a 'phantom centre' arrangement, until I can afford the matching centre speaker in a few months. :cool:

18. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Not sure i follow why this should make dialogue off centre:confused:

the receiver outputs the right channel to the right front and the centre channel (dialogue) to the centre :confused:

I guess if i sat 2 feet away i might notice dialogue having a bias to the right hand side but all seating is a good 12-15ft from the speakers

19. johnmerrick

johnmerrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    how about one of these? Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro Ti

i have two as fronts. very surprising sound for their size, they weigh a lot! are well made and fit perfectly where space is a premium. they sit on a little rubber ring (supplied) or go on various stands. i have put mine on two table top stands.

i intend to get one as a centre (to replace my existing Mission) following a recommendation on here.

20. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  21. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    You can get the complete Audica CS2 system for £419 from Peter Tyson.

This will improve your whole sound but the centre will still need wall mounting above your TV to fit, unless you upgrade your cabinet as well!

22. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tip, but I don't live in the UK. I rather buy my center somewhere local. Anyway, considering the size and the money - I'm leaning towards the Kanton CD 50 MK2. Anyone got something good or bad to say about this center? :)

Info: CD 50 II - CD Series - CANTON pure Music (en)

23. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    That would be a decent improvement on your existing centre, imo :smashin: