1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CD's... Love this cool indie rock resurgence...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by pointon, Apr 1, 2003.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just ordered some new stuff:

Hot Hot Heat - 'Make Up The Breakdown' (To ban their single 'Bandages' is the most ludicrous abuse of censorship... political sensitivity gone mad!)

Athlete - 'Vehicles & Animals' (Love the single, there's just something about it!)

OK Go - OK Go (Just superb!)

I haven't bought a metal CD since this time last year with Killswitch Engage. The latest wave of indie and good old fashioned rock is just so much more exciting and fresh. I've stopped going to lame rock nights filled with the same old stuff sandwhiched between Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, but local Indie nights are so cool, to go hear the likes of the above three, with The Datsuns, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Music...

I feel a whole new vibe coming on. I just hope we don't see the likes of any sort of 'nuIndie'.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Pointon....Ive not heard any of those Indie bands, except the last few of course. I feel like I am missing out, what do they sound like, where can I listen to them. Also where do you go for indie nights, we dont even seem to have rock nights anymore :confused:

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Pointon --

Could you post mini-reviews of the Hot Hot Heat and Athlete albums when you get them ? I'd be intrigued.

Hot Hot Heat have had a lot of rave reviews recently so it would be interesting to see if they justify the hype. Athlete were something like No.2 in the Amazon pre-order list which I thought was pretty unusual.

Must get The Datsuns album if only to annoy the neighbours if nothing else.;)

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187

Yes, buy it, its a fine album. Also worth a listen to is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album.

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checkout.. "The Libertines "...:clap: :clap: :clap:

6. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The athlete album getsa very good review in the latest Q, so let us know what you think.

7. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out these guys.............

Von Bondies and Radio Four (if you like Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

The Rapture (if you like Radio Four)

The Faint (if you like The Rapture)

NIN (if you like The Faint)

Depeche Mode (if you like NIN)

......do you see what I've just done there.............
    genius :laugh: :laugh: .....how strange to conclude that everything started with Dave Gahan :D

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why and by who was Bandages banned? It's a great song.

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Indie night I go to is just a small local night in Stoke on Trent, but it's great.

I'm bound to post something about the albums. Can't wait to get hold of them.

'Bandages' was banned on a few radio stations, including Radio 1 I think, because of the war, using the wonderful logic that bandages are used on soldiers injured by the fighting, and so of course would upset everyone. Of course, the actual 24 hour war coverage isn't anywhere near as upsetting. Anyway, they sound like they're singing about sandwiches instead.

Sandwiches, sandwiches, sandwiches!

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does indeed!:D although i heard it on Radio 1 last night, i think even dave pearce is playing it now!

11. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well that's obviously the problem, you can't sing about sand either. :rolleyes:

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Sometimes get down to Stoke on Trent, might have to check it out next time Im down.

Datsuns is a fine album, Yeah Yeah Yeahs EP is pretty good, but they are 100% better live.

13. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then, OKGo and Athelete albums have just been purchased on recommendation of AVFORUMS!

I like what I've heard so far, and it makes it sweeter that I got promos of them both for £5 each (Lewisham doesn't have much going for it, but it's got a belter of a record shop!):D

Oh, and I bought Elephant, but I know the words 'White' and 'Stripes' don't sit well with some of you so won't go on about how flappin' great it is :clap: :clap:

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I bought it and I like it, although a certain tree rodent and an X men recruit dont. I think this album might just sway them, but you can never tell.

15. asavage97

asavage97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO NIN are better than Depeche Mode but really you should all listen to Rammstein ok they havent made a new albums in quite a while but they still rock.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, lets not say that you're repressed around here, you can recomend anything you like. The fact that the White Stripes suck should make no difference. In a recent scientific study, it was found they actually suck and blow at the same time- stunning.

seriously though, don't let my anyone elses taste in music put you off (which I appreciate it hasn't but post anything you want about who ever you want)

The only thing that would sway me would be if I was made deaf and they would pay me huge ammounts to pretend to listen and enjoy, in that order too.

17. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    They already did that for me, I can only feel the siesmic variations and wonder at the magic of a digital db meter performing its merry, but very linear dance.

Still the cash comes in handy and I now judge every album by its cover.

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here's some really small reviews:

OK Go's album is no longer fantastic.

Hot Hot Heat's is also, but better.

The White Stripe's 'Elephant' is without question, absolute genius.

Athlete should arrive tomorrow.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmmmmm

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have ordered this as well, expecting it any day now. Should be a good 'un :smashin:

21. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard that Hot Hot Heat song today, very good... might have to investigate:D
    However, I can now say I hate the OK go's almost as much as the White Stripes.

22. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "pre-humous", eh pointon? Does that make you a chickpea? :D

23. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Bought Athlete, initial listen reminds me of Flaming Lips, still its early days.

24. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two words. Buff Medways.

Can't see the fuss about White Stripes.....

25. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Yeah, but that can be equally applied to every other band you can think of. Behind each band is a legion of influences, but Buff Medways isnt the Stripes.

The WS like Nirvana and a million other bands are the commercially sucessful product of their influences, they have pushed a style of music into the mainstream of the noughties.

Are they the best band ever urr definitely not, Jack White himself cant understand all the fuss. But it is proper music, they stick to a style and are original with it, regardless of commercial considerations.

Give them a break, just because they are popular doesnt mean they are trash. Will Young et al still lurk on the horizon waiting to deluge us with s**ty cover versions, I know which I prefer.:lesson:

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to it today in the car. Love the album. Can't see a comparison to Flaming Lips on any of the tracks though (have listened to some Flaming Lips samples and didn't like them).

One track reminded me a bit of Madness though, but what was really annoying was, as soon as I tried to compare them to someone, the next track would come on and be so completely different that I'd have to try and come up with a new comparison. Very hard to pinpoint.

Great band, great album :clap:

27. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Athlete seem like a British version of the Eels, except with a bit more positivity in there.

28. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have to admit to listening to two just two tracks :blush:

so comparisons at this stage are a bit unfair, as SG says, even these two tracks are unsimilar to each other.

I need to clear up the backlog of CDs clogging up my player, Calexico, The Vaselines, Meat Puppets and Teenage fan club seem to have set up home.

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 20 all piled up atop one of my speakers, so know where you're coming from mate. Too much good music around lately. I remember moaning a few years ago that there wasn't enough, now we're overloaded with quality artists. Let's not complain (not that you were, just mean in general) as it's nice to be in this situation for once I think :smoke:

30. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also added Brendan Benson's latest to the collection, as well as Badly Drawn Boy's latest.

Brendan Benson kicks ass. Was great to catch him live earlier in the month.

The OK Go album is incredibly disappointing. OK Go is short for 'OK first song, now Go buy something else...'. It's not bad as such, but after such a great single which happens to be the first track on the record, you expect a lot better.