New CD/streamer combo, but do I even need it?

Punisa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Help me make a sane decision please :lesson:
I'm in the mood for some system upgrades and I was thinking of adding a CD/streamer component, Marantz ND8006 looks very lovely.
BUT, the voice of reason in my head wonders do I even need it?
This is my current setup (stereo side of it):
Marantz SR 6013 AVR-> Yamaha A-S1000 -> Mirage FRx Nine floorstanding speakers

SR 6013 has HEOS and I use it for wireless playing my FLAC files that are stored on my PC/NAS (works great!).

I do have a nice collection of CDs, but no dedicated player (only way I can play them now is using Sony SLV-D990P which is a DVD/VHS combo connected to my AVR, it's quite noisy and skips sometimes...).

Indeed, ND8006 would improve my CD listening experience, but regarding my FLAC files? I'm kinda sceptical... I'm also kinda noobish when it comes to DACs and the differences they make. My AVR has AKM AK4458 for DAC and ND8006 has ESS9016 Sabre for DAC. These are just random numbers and letters to me, I tried researching the differences, but didn't get far.

Maybe I'd be better off investing in something else, such as new speakers, but I have this crazy idea that one day I'll save enough money (or win the lottery, lol) so I could replace my Mirage fronts with Q Acoustics Concept 500 :clap:

If ND8006 wouldn't bring me any audible improvement regarding my digital files, how about I save some money and just get, let's say, Marantz CD6007? Or any other suggestions? I have around 1,000 USD to spend.

Thanks!

Ideally in your set up you would have multichannel sources (blue ray, dvd, satellite, cable etc) going into the Marantz and stereo sources (streamer, cd, turntable etc) going into the Yamaha.

Can I assume you have connected the Marantz front Pre-outs to the Main in on the Yamaha (quasi HT Bypass). Also do you use the Heos for anything other than playing flac files e.g. streaming services like Spotify or tidal etc?

So, the current system running the streamer and the DVD player through the Marantz means that you are “inflicting” the sound signature and digital processing on the sound and not making best use of the Yamaha preamp section.

So ideally you would use the ND8006 plugged directly into the Yamaha bypassing the AVR for stereo music from files or cd’s.

If you wanted a multi box solution (not as tidy) then you could go with something like the following but there are numerous combination - a Tuefel Streamer (250euro) optical out , Tibo TI435CDP (200euro) coax digital out and you choice of DAC but the new Topping E30 would do the job at 150euro. But basically a Streamer, CD transport and separate DAC.

Ideally in your set up you would have multichannel sources (blue ray, dvd, satellite, cable etc) going into the Marantz and stereo sources (streamer, cd, turntable etc) going into the Yamaha.

Can I assume you have connected the Marantz front Pre-outs to the Main in on the Yamaha (quasi HT Bypass). Also do you use the Heos for anything other than playing flac files e.g. streaming services like Spotify or tidal etc?

So, the current system running the streamer and the DVD player through the Marantz means that you are “inflicting” the sound signature and digital processing on the sound and not making best use of the Yamaha preamp section.

So ideally you would use the ND8006 plugged directly into the Yamaha bypassing the AVR for stereo music from files or cd’s.

If you wanted a multi box solution (not as tidy) then you could go with something like the following but there are numerous combination - a Tuefel Streamer (250euro) optical out , Tibo TI435CDP (200euro) coax digital out and you choice of DAC but the new Topping E30 would do the job at 150euro. But basically a Streamer, CD transport and separate DAC.

Thanks for the reply!
Yes - my stereo sources are plugged directly into Yamaha (turntable and tape deck)
And yes, I use pre-outs to the Main in.

Sure, IF I do get ND8006 it would also go straight into Yamaha as there is no need for running it via AVR.

I did try using my raspberry Pi with Allo Boss dac for playing FLAC files directly to Yamaha instead of using Marantz avr, but after some blind testing I can say that Marantz actually sounded better (at least to my ears).

Would be kinda disappointing if ND8006 sounded the same :/
That's why I'm hesitant to buy.

Do you have a local dealer that will do a home trial, here in the UK over the past year (for obvious reasons) home trials have become easier and more of them. Alternatively buy from a source that has a free or low cost 30day return policy.

If there is no difference use the budget elsewhere, if it does then you can weigh up the cost/performance benefit.

That said the digital source is fairly low on the effect on sound signature. My general order of most effect to least is - Room/speaker positioning/listening position, speakers, preamp, analogue sources (especially cartridge), digital sources, power amp (so long as it will give 20dB swing at normal listening volumes without distortion increasing), and way down the road cables (if still on this planet).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom