1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cd player .HDCD or Sacd

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by la gran siete, Jul 23, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Hi guys I just bought myself a goodish audiolab 8000a amp to go with miy AV set up and was wondering about replacing my very arcane Rotel rcd 965 player. I think its got to go now so I'm looking at possibilities like a Sony sacd player or an HDCD player such as Nad c521. Are these worthy formats or would I better of sticking with a conventional player with 24bit dac.I notice the Consummer Association rate the cheap and cheerful Sony CDPXE270S at less than £60 implying that spending much more than that is a waste of money?????Any views gratefully received

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Well I'm biased against that report a bit (the Cambridge side of the business got a kicking from them in the same report from last year) but there is more to be had from CD players a bit further up the price tree- the rest of your gear seems up to it. As ever, if you can have a listen then I suggest you do. Between £200 and £500 there are several new (and dozens of used) designs to choose from.

My gut feeling is that SACD/CD players are compromised over their straight CD counterparts and HDCD is a bit of a waste of time as well but again I guess this depends on what media you own and whether your DVD player has any of those capabilities already.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    My HK amp as it happens has HDCD capabilty but I recently won an audiolab 8000a which I shall connect to the amp and run my current cd player off. From what your saying you dont rate HDCD or SACD particularly.I notice that there seems to be very few players at the bottom end of the market that suppoort HDCD, NAD being the only one I can find. I may utlimately go far a ROTEL or Marantz or maybe a used Arcam.Anyway thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:
    Mind me asking if you are associated with Cambridge?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Yes I am. Originally I was just the Mordaunt Short technical support but I now do more Cambridge work! Both companies are owned by Audio Partnership my employer

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    HDCD support shouldn't harm standard CD replay and is a nice feature to have although I doubt you'd miss it. Rather than worrying too much about these features you would be better off just listening to a few models that do have the features you need and taing HDCD or SACD replay as a nice bonus. :)

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Does Richer Sounds come into the equation somwhere. I heard a rumour they bought MS out as well as Gale and JPW and , therefore ,became the only retail outlet selling their goods. I heard that manufacturing went to China as well

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Ok just looked at the website . Presumably you'd recommend the Azur 640 above othersv in that price range( £200 - £500)would you?

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I would check your cd's.

I am guessing you will have less than a handful that are hdcd encoded. I have around 3.

It appears to have been bigger in the states than the UK.

If this is the case, then i really wouldn't worry about hdcd.

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    good point hence the lack of hardware.

10. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got the Sony 370 myself - this model sounds exactly the same as the 270 afaik, but includes remote control. For the money, it's brilliant - surprisingly detailed for the price, and the bass sounds nice and fast. That said, imho you will get more through buying a better player (either a more expensive new one - you should be able to find players in your budget that are a distinct improvement over the Sony - and/or a secondhand player): the Sony doesn't handle deep bass quite as well as it could, and it can sound a little clinical; I've therefore got mine playing through an external Meridian DAC at the moment.

I guess whether to go for an upgrade depends in part on how much you like your Rotel player - what's it you'd like to change about it? If you've got a digital out on your CD or DVD player, you could also look at getting an external DAC - you could get a very nice one for the budget you've got :)

Jon

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I guess whether to go for an upgrade depends in part on how much you like your Rotel player - what's it you'd like to change about it? If you've got a digital out on your CD or DVD player, you could also look at getting an external DAC - you could get a very nice one for the budget you've got :)

Jon[/QUOTE]

That would be an option I could take as I intend to connect it to an audiolab 8000a anyway. What make of Dac though?

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Audio Partnership - the manufacturing arm of Richer Sounds are yet another customer
    in the consumer electronics sector to employ Projectability to help them ..

Not exactly a rumour then,lol ,just shows how in touch I am :eek:

13. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, a stereo Dac will have analogue stereo audio outputs - so could plug into pretty much any 2-channel amp.

As to which make - the DACs I've owned myself (Cambridge dacmagic 2 mk 2 and Meridian 203) would both be below your budget, not much more than £100 secondhand and maybe (esp the Cambridge) a fair bit under. imho they both sound better than most budget CD players you can get, but obviously you'll have more choice with a bigger budget - see what others suggest, perhaps? btw, as they don't have moving parts (no transport) DACs are generally a fairly safe secondhand buy, and you can get much more for your money by going secondhand.

Jon

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    are they 20 bit dacs ?

I have an old QED dac which I use in my audio alone system but to be honest I would be hard pressed to say I detected an improvement on my Rotel 955's on board dac.

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    On the issue of DAc, Jon ,I just noticed the sticky above and wondered about connecting one to my Panny e55 recorder and then onto an Audiolab 8000a integhrated which would be connected in turn to the preouts of my receiver. Would I not then get everything in stereo?Ideally I'd like to play music in stereo but have the opotion of stereo and 5.1 for movies and sky plus

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147

Hmm- that's a slightly old quote these days as we now have a slightly broader mandate than that- Mordaunt Short has had its distribution handled by Marantz for four years or so and we now sell to 44 countries.

Yes the 640C is (in my opinion) well worth a look. You'd need to listen to it though.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I might well do that although the lure of a DAC seems quite compelling

Thanks

18. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Meant to ask whats happening to Audio Innovations, the link in audio partnership doesnt appear to work There appear to be some alto going remarkably cheap here:http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct_tradecounter&pid=
    AUDI-ALTOAM1&SID=5afe4939c0d0c3e91eb14f35f9a7cb64

Surely a mistake

I have an AI 800 c I bought to partner a leak 20. I bought it when P Quortrop ran it in the eighties

19. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
  20. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Gran,

Not sure how many bits the DACs I mentioned are - sorry, not that technically minded... All I can say is that I liked the sound of both of them - esp the Meridian. Not sure how there'd compare to your CD player, but to my ears they both sounded quite a lot better than my sony and somewhat better than the Cambridge DVD300 I've got.

You could always try googling the names of DACs you're interested in, I guess, but at any rate you'll have lots of other options in your budget. In terms of getting 5.1 from your receiver, I *think* what you need is a stereo dac with a coaxial out cable - you'd plug this into your receiver, and the digital signal would just pass through the stereo dac to your 5.1 receiver; alternatively, you could probably bodge something using a phono splitter as well. Never tried either option, though - I'm sure others have a clearer sense of how you'd work this with 5.1.

Jon

21. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Yes thanks jon , I done a liilte searching they are both old dac 's dating back to the eighties I think but if they sound good then thats all that matters.
    The coaX bypass sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

22. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, they are a decade or so old; IIRC, both models were slightly modded versions of the original, so from the 90s rather than 80s, but as you say if they sound good it's no matter... Happy shopping, anyway :thumbsup:

Jon

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Thje Cambridge Dac2 mk11 appears to have two coax in as well as 1 optical in and then 1 coax out which would be ideal. I notice there is DAc2 as well as dac2 mk11 . Do you know if there is a difference ? Only ask because there is a dac2 in the salesroom

24. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you've got access to a DACmagic 2, maybe best if you try to demo it. I've never heard one, but AFAIK there were significant changes made between the dacmagic 2 and the 2i, so the 2i is supposedly better (the dacmagic 2i and 2 mk 2 are v similar though). One other thing - you probably wouldn't want to pay too much for a Dacmagic 2 (definitely under £100, pref under £70 I'd guestimate...)

EDIT: the dacmagic 2 mk 2 has 2 coaxial inputs and 1 optical input. Bear in mind, though, that you can also use a phono switch box to add additional coaxial inputs to a DAC, though this is a less-than-elegant solution.

Jon

25. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    There is also the dac3 of course- one on sale in Germany ebay but not for export sadly

26. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, oddly you seem to see the Dacmagic 3 for sale less than the others. Not sure if it's cause it sold less in the first place, or that those who have one are hanging onto them...

27. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Probably both . Thanks any way Jon