1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CD Player < £100 ?? Help meh!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sun, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hayulp!

The lovely other half wishes to buy me a shiny new cd player for my birthday in 2 weeks, I have been trying to get a Marantz 6000 OSE off ebay at sub £100 for weeks but with no luck. (although wouldn't you know it, I missed one this morning that I was watching and it went for £72 :( )

So as time is of the essence (can't really hold out for ebay any longer) I am trying to track down a good CD player, now call me stoopid but I reeeeaaally want CD Text, I know it doesn't add anything major but I just think it's cool and have always wanted that feature. So I was thinking of the Sony CDPXE570 from Richers for £80 (assuming they are still selling it) . I notice it is only in Black though, I can cope with that If I must but it would be perfect if it was silver.

So can anyone suggest a decent player for less than a ton that is

1) Good
    2) Has CD Text
    3) Is silver

Or failing that just a good alternative to the Sony.

I will send you some birthday cake if you help me :D

Cheers
    Mat

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean with CD text, I wouldn't like to do without it now, either. I have the Philips CD 753 from RS. Sounds pretty good to my ears, and quite good facilities-wise, (just under) £100 but black.

How about the Marantz CD5400?. Your partner would have to hike the budget up by £15 (or you chip in...), and I don't know what it sounds like, but surely you can't go wrong with a Marantz... ?

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    yeah, just think it looks cool doesn't it, do most cd's support it now?

Good suggestion m8, I did think of the Marantz 5400, it would be ideal but in comparison to the sony it's £35 more and I am not sure if she can/wants too pay that.

Anymore suggestions?

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the XE570, and it's a really good little player. Has everything that I need, and my CDs sound great compared to being played on the computer (linked via digital to my amp). If I didn't buy so many CDs, perhaps I would have bought a better player by now, but there's really not much need for me as they sound fine and I like to have lots of round shiny things floating about :D

Apparently the marrantz player is very good too, perhaps you could pop down to richers and hear them for yourself.

5. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Guys, thans for the replies.

I have narrowed it down to either the Sony(£80), Marantz CD5000 (£100) or the Marantz CD5400 (£115)

I am trying to dig out some independent reviews of the two Marantz' and preferably some comparions of the two but not having too much luck so far.

6. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be silly to pick the cd5000 over the cd5400 at only £15 price gap as the cd5400 is a brand new design with upgraded Dacs and looks alot nicer IMO,for the price of a meal at pizza hut you are getting a far superior player!think about it!Hi fi is for the long term,its best to buy something that will stand the test of time than something inferior that would make you want to upgrade within weeks.Heard em both and the cd5400 is streets ahead of the Sony and the cd5000.Having said all that,the sony is actually better than the cd 5000 so in order of best to worse:Marantz cd5400>>>Sony cdpxe570>>>Marantz cd5000.

Zoolander:D

7. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks for the advice guys

I went to Richers at the weekend for the Sony and surprise, surprise it was sold out at the 3 London stores I could get too, although they did have a more expensive model...uhuh.

So then after seeing this post and previous input about the Marantz I attempted to acquire it form the same London Stores, specifically the Silver version as it is "an instore priority and has been distributed in large quantities to our stores" or so the RS website states.

Conversations were similar to this;

Me - "Marantz 5400, any in?"
    RS oik - "Yeah we have load of them in"
    Me - "In silver"
    RS oik - "nah, we don't do them in silver"
    Me - "riiiiight"

Soooo with birthdya looming and GeeF wanting to be able to give me something other than an enjoyable evening in bed, i turned to the net.

The Marantz seems to be a popular player as all the reasonably priced sites are Out of Stock, dammit! QED said dispatch within 2 weeks for £130 orrrr I could have the Marantz 5400 OSE in Silver for £150 instock now and delivered for burfday. A winnar is me! Seemed like for an extra £20 it was worth it for the OSE even if thats just for the resale value in a few years.

Fingarz crossed it will be luscious.

Cheers