• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New CCTV system

baldrick

Prominent Member
Not wanting to hijack ajm007's thread I thought I'd best start my own....

We're in the process of building a new house and have incorporated wiring for CCTV. I've factored in 5 cameras, 1 in the porch, 1 dedicated to the driveway and then a camera on covering each of the 3 sides with doors/windows....

They have a dedicated power supply and coax feeds run back to our media hub.

The driveway and porch cameras will need to be domes as they are easily reached from the ground whilst the other three are mounted on the soffet boards and totally inaccessible without a ladder...

I have posted about this months ago, but I now want to spec the system. It's hard to know how much you should look to spend per camera? I noticed these which would be very discreet: http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/VD70domes.htm but I don't know how they rate?

Also at the recording end most of the recorders seem to be for 4 cameras are their any options for 5?

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

ZippyCat

Established Member
Hi Baldrick,

The camera you linked to above is only colour, which is likely to result in poor night time images. I tend to find that you need in excess of 15lux average regardless of camera specifications to achieve reasonable night time use. You will be better off looking at some vandal resistance day/night dome cameras that possibly incorporate IR illuminators (although separate illuminators are preferable). With regards to the number of inputs, DVR’s tend to come in the following configurations, although there are the odd exceptions:

1Ch
4Ch
8Ch
9Ch
16Ch
32Ch

Some manufacturers also provide 2Ch, 10Ch, 18Ch, but these are far and few between.

baldrick

Prominent Member
ZippyCat said:
Hi Baldrick,

The camera you linked to above is only colour, which is likely to result in poor night time images. I tend to find that you need in excess of 15lux average regardless of camera specifications to achieve reasonable night time use. You will be better off looking at some vandal resistance day/night dome cameras that possibly incorporate IR illuminators (although separate illuminators are preferable). With regards to the number of inputs, DVR’s tend to come in the following configurations, although there are the odd exceptions:

1Ch
4Ch
8Ch
9Ch
16Ch
32Ch

Some manufacturers also provide 2Ch, 10Ch, 18Ch, but these are far and few between.

Thanks ZippyCat. Regarding the dome cameras, a separate IR illuminator seems a little silly if you've got nice 'discreet' cameras!?!?

Given a budget of £150-£200 per camera are there any you would particulary recommend?

ZippyCat

Established Member
The only reason why I recommend a separate IR illuminator (don’t forget it doesn’t need to be adjacent to the camera), is that spiders are attracted to the IR light; they have a tendency to weave cobwebs across the lens, which becomes a maintenance nightmare. In addition, a lot of the cheaper dome cameras with inbuilt IR LED’s have issues with reflections at night, whereby the IR light reflects/refracts on/within the dome hemisphere resulting in poor image quality. Your best bet would be to site trial a camera to see what yields good results. I shall be moving shortly, and although I currently have a combination of full sized bodied Dennard housings and vandal proof domes, I am contemplating using the following at my new residence, as I feel my current system would be construed as a little in your face for someone who has just moved in:

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/90CSHRVFIR-600.jpg

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/camera-cctv.htm

1/3” High Res Colour Super HAD CCD 500 TVL/ 580 TVL.

Jefff,

Although I couldn’t get your link working directly, I’ve gone through the home page to find the camera you are on about. It is one of the other cameras I am also considering, and would also recommend this camera to Baldrick.

A

akcctv

baldrick said:
Not wanting to hijack ajm007's thread I thought I'd best start my own....

We're in the process of building a new house and have incorporated wiring for CCTV. I've factored in 5 cameras, 1 in the porch, 1 dedicated to the driveway and then a camera on covering each of the 3 sides with doors/windows....

They have a dedicated power supply and coax feeds run back to our media hub.

The driveway and porch cameras will need to be domes as they are easily reached from the ground whilst the other three are mounted on the soffet boards and totally inaccessible without a ladder...

I have posted about this months ago, but I now want to spec the system. It's hard to know how much you should look to spend per camera? I noticed these which would be very discreet: http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/VD70domes.htm but I don't know how they rate?

Also at the recording end most of the recorders seem to be for 4 cameras are their any options for 5?

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Think those dome cameras will be fine providing the area is well lit, as Zippy says many IR domes tend to have reflection problems - especially the lower priced units. With regards to the spider web problem and IR cams we have only come across this problem once or twice.

AK

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom