New Case: Fractal Design R2 XL

Michael

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else looked into this case?

It seems ideal for my gaming/HTPC hybrid/moggy, it uses sound deadening, and, best of all, it has almost identical dimensions to my sub, meaning I can have two cool-looking monoliths on each side of the equipment rack :D

Anybody who has used it, I'd be interested to hear how you got along.

I read some good reviews on that case somewhere but can't seems to find them atm.

I've used the R3 and R4 but prefer the coolermaster silencio 550.

R2 XL is the same design as the R3/R4 but a bit bigger. The cooler master looks better and built
Better with more features and cheaper.

Not sure if they do one that's the same size as the R2 XL though.

I have the Silencio 550 and it's no good for gaming, at least for me as it's tucked away in a cabinet.

Smurfin said:
I have the Silencio 550 and it's no good for gaming, at least for me as it's tucked away in a cabinet.

Why do you find it no good for gaming? I've got a i5 3570k running at 4.6ghz and an overclocked GTX570 twin frozr iii power edition in mine.

I use a Define R2 case for my unRAID server and would expect the XL to be very similar. It is a good looking case IMO and it near enough silent with no fan noise escaping from it - although it is running an Intel Atom CPU with no CPU fan so is just the case & PSU fans and HDD noise that it needs to contain. The one downside is the power light on it is bright enough to distract if it was beside the TV etc.

Mark.

Why do you find it no good for gaming? I've got a i5 3570k running at 4.6ghz and an overclocked GTX570 twin frozr iii power edition in mine.

Not enough fans inside and it doesn't help that the unit is inside a cabinet. There's not alot happening with my PC currently but CPU cores are all around 66 degrees and the gfx card 68 degrees...this is practically idle.

It's not a bad case, just for my circumstances (in an enclosed space) it was probably the wrong choice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom