1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New case decisions....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Apr 23, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    I'd like to get a new case (one that will take ATX PSUs!). There are only really 2 options as far as I can tell, the Dign (Accent) and the LMP. I've heard a few bad reports about the Dign and nothing but praise about the LMP however the LMP will only take the Pioneer slot drive which you can't seem to get anymore. I believe it may take the 120s slot drive but is it true it's not possible to make that region free? My head says go for the LMP but I'm getting impatient to get this project complete, if the 120s drive is an option with the LMP and can be made region free then I might just go for that , Dabs seem to be showing good availability of the 120s (how reliable is the Dabs availability number though?).

Cheers
    Andy

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bad news was re the first ones -IMHO latest dign's are great, and have lots more room, the IR on via remote control is great.

Mine which is home to a DVD drive 120 gb hd/radeon 9700, AMD 2400+ and zalman flower cooler runs in the low 40's even with dscaler

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps, the liteon drive can be region free with win dvd killer, so no need to flash the drive.

Nathan

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, no region free firmware for the 120 yet :(

I'd never consider a DVD drive without RPC1 availability, irrespective of software hacks etc...

I like the Dign cases though, but not cheap :(

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you do go for the LMP case then make sure you've got a small enough graphics card. I looked into getting the case but was put off by the 175mm length restriction for the video card. Whilst I could find cards under that length (by harassing the dealers on Tottenham Court Road) I didn't want to always have that restriction when upgrading the technologically fastest moving component of the PC.

Having said that the case looks great in the photos; the feedback on the forums has always been good; and LMP were very responsive when I was looking into it. If you can live with the restrictions then it's probably a quality product.

Cheers,
    Ian.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Will a Sapphire Radeon 9000 Graphics card fit in the LMP case ok?
    Also is the new DIGN case the one you can get from www.quietpc.com then? It says it's an ACCENT, previously DIGN...

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm sure you'll be okay with the 9000, Mark Ward has the 9500 in his and thats okay, might be a bit tight with a Zalman heatpipe as well but I still think you could squeeze it in.

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what bad reports have you heard about the DIGN case?

Taimur

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Just searched this and avsforum for 'Dign' and read peoples opinions, didn't particularly come over very well. It's quite a lot of money so I'd expect something very well made and it didn't seem to me that was the case (excuse the pun).

Andy.

11. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just going back to the DVD-120S, I have the DVD-120 (tray loader) and, as Kramer said, there is no RPC-1 f/w yet. I'm using DVDRegionFree with it but that does set you back $40. The other thing to baer in mind is that the speed control utility does not work on the 120. TBH, it is pretty good anyway - slowing down during playback and not spinning up again - but it does remove a degree of control...

HTH,

_

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Have you looked at the CoolerMaster 610 which is now an ATX case (as opposed to mATX). very nice bit of kit but have not seen any others so do not know how it compares.

13. jitter

jitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I picked up a black ATX desktop case with Q-tec 350W power supply on Ebuyer.com for just over £30 with free delivery

Its quite solid & well made, spacious, has 7 card ports etc in the back. seems good for the wonga anyway.

I painted my pioneer 106s & sony cdrw black too & just slotted them in... now to build the rest of it :)