New Cardiff City signing Emiliano Sala believed to be on board missing plane

Lost contact 20:30 hrs last night, missing over 15hrs, this isn't going to end well :(

So who was the other person? Presumably the pilot..?

Correct - according to the media.

Very sad :(
I didn't see their name mentioned in that article.

MOD Edited to avoid thread spoiling

Last edited by a moderator:
The missing footballer is the top story, for some reason, on the BBC news channel at 5 am with a lengthy bulletin, pilot is barely mentioned which I find distasteful.

Last edited:
The problem is everyday people die every day. It's only a news story if it is someone famous, a sports person, celebrity etc. Think how many people must of died in accidents/car crashes in the last week. As they were just the general public it won't have made major news. But throw in a celebrity and it gets top billing. That's just how the media works.

It is distasteful that the pilot has seemingly been completely forgotten in most bulletins and you can imagine what his family must be thinking. On Heart radio the news report did mention them both at least.

Latest news said there may be a slim chance they survived on a life raft, but I think that is just wishful thinking sadly.

The problem is everyday people die every day. It's only a news story if it is someone famous, a sports person, celebrity etc. Think how many people must of died in accidents/car crashes in the last week. As they were just the general public it won't have made major news. But throw in a celebrity and it gets top billing. That's just how the media works.

It is distasteful that the pilot has seemingly been completely forgotten in most bulletins and you can imagine what his family must be thinking. On Heart radio the news report did mention them both at least.

Latest news said there may be a slim chance they survived on a life raft, but I think that is just wishful thinking sadly.
A celebrity? I thought he was a footballer who I, I might add, have never heard of.
But not to mention the pilot at all as the BBC did is shameful.

A celebrity? I thought he was a footballer who I, I might add, have never heard of.
But not to mention the pilot at all as the BBC did is shameful.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Most won't have heard of him. I'm a football fan and I hadn't.

It's the same when there is an incident/crash etc where several/many people die. The first thing you hear for example is there was a plane crash in which 50 people died, 1 of which was a Briton. As if the others they don't think we care about.

The mainstream media is driven by "names" and dramatic headlines, that's just how they work.

They decide what's in the public interest, how it is framed, what is emphasised and how it is presented.

I studied this between 1989-1992 on my degree course and we did content analysis on newspapers, TV and radio (no Internet then). The medium may have changed, obviously, but the style hasn't, alas.

It's the same all over the world, to be fair: local content or a local association is deemed more newsworthy and of more interest than international stories, and the name is deemed more important than the nobody.

Last edited:
IMG_20190125_155942.jpg

I can't believe Bordeaux are still after the money from Cardiff too... :(

surely there must be some kind of insurance for this?

I can't believe Bordeaux are still after the money from Cardiff too... :(

surely there must be some kind of insurance for this?

You mean Nantes, and I can fully understand why they'd want their money. The deal was completed and he was no longer their player. I agree the timing is insensitive.
As for insurance, I'd imagine that's the responsibility of his club, Cardiff.

You mean Nantes, and I can fully understand why they'd want their money. The deal was completed and he was no longer their player. I agree the timing is insensitive.
As for insurance, I'd imagine that's the responsibility of his club, Cardiff.

I think it's the case that Bordeaux have a high sell on clause and they have demanded that payment from Nantes, causing Nantes to press Cardiff for the payment. Cardiff are checking insurance validity etc due to the cause of death, before making payment.

checking insurance validity etc due to the cause of death, before making payment.
I don’t want to make a joke in this thread but I would think the cause of death is clear? Presumably they were waiting for what actually happened to be known.

I don’t want to make a joke in this thread but I would think the cause of death is clear? Presumably they were waiting for what actually happened to be known.

Yes, I should have made it more clear. I was meaning to say they are looking into the insurance validity etc, given the "unusual circumstances"

Something bothering me.

They only found one and recovered one body from the plane which was the footballer.

So where’s the pilot’s body?

Rob

Yes, I should have made it more clear. I was meaning to say they are looking into the insurance validity etc, given the "unusual circumstances"
I wouldn't be surprised if this checking actually involves checking whether or not they'd got around to insuring him.

Something bothering me.

They only found one and recovered one body from the plane which was the footballer.

So where’s the pilot’s body?

Rob

It was only a tiny plane, smashing into the sea anything could have happened. The fact they found anything is a miracle.

Experience taught the pilot to unbuckle giving him the chance to escape the cockpit, I'd guess Sala was still strapped in, even if he was instructed to unbuckle, the amount of panic and stress would have made it nearly impossible. Doubt the pilot will ever be found, I'd guess he sustained major injuries and was pulled out of the plane. I hope for his families sake, they manage by some miracle to locate his body for closure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom