New car....

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
.... and first day somebody just reversed into me pulling out of a car park space as I was passing:(

It's just unbelieveable sometimes isn't it, while the driver didn't try to shift the blame(couldn't really), he was hardly sympathetic and kept saying "well, these things happen", yeah thanks!

So my new pride and joy has gone from prestine to a big scrape down the back side within one day.

To top it off can you believe that their insurance company(LV) claims line isn't open on a saturday afternoon?:confused:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Yes it is open 24/7 - 0845 640 5640, have had to use it in the past!

Thanks, had actually found that online since posting this, strange it's a different number than the one on the back of the card.

As it happens the driver had already reported it when I called, although I have to call back on Monday to discuss as the actual claims team don't work weekends.

I'm already wondering though if this guy will have tried to twist things around, find it a little strange that he reported it ahead of me, and the person I spoke to on the phone already knew my insurance which I was a little surprised about as I didn't give him my details(assume he got them through my registration) and don't see why my insurance should be involved in this unless he's trying to pass blame?

Anyway, will have to wait until Monday now unfortuantely, hate having to stew on these things.

Last edited:

Detto

These things happen ! think i would be saying that to him after i had given him a little tap to the face :)

If he reported it to his insurance then his company would of contacted yours i would expect.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just received a call from the Inocent Party Repair Team to arrange assesment and courtesy car so sounds as thought he guy hopefully has been honest about the claim(judging by the name of the above mentioned).

Asked for the names of garages they would offer for repairs and an Alfa dealer came up (all be it 40 miles away, free collection/ return) so happy I could have that one at least rather than some other randon garage that I might trust less.

IronGiant

Not everyone is out to screw you :) He may just have felt guilty as hell so sorted everything out with his insurance ASAP to minimise the amount you needed to sort out. :thumbsup:

gamingboy

I'd mention you are taking it to the local Alfa Romeo dealer of your choice if it's an Alfa Romeo and you purchased it from a local Alfa Romeo dealer.

Also if it's brand new they will have carried out the PDI. The best people to prepare it to the same standards. Why should your car have to have more miles put on it etc to travel to another dealer?

Hate insurance companies telling you where they will let you take the car after their client has crashed into you.

Their approved garages receive the work in exchange for a discount. Generally, but not always is it in their interest to spend top money on the job. They have to keep costs down. To be fair this isn't always the case.

On the flip side guy drove into my old car and I just replaced the mirror and window from a scrap yard. Wasn't worth the hassle.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
IronGiant said:
Not everyone is out to screw you :)

Agreed , I had a bump a few years ago , even though it was the other drivers fault 100% she could have quite easily blamed me and it would have most likely gone 50/50 , not everyone is out to do ill to you .....

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Not everyone is out to screw you :) He may just have felt guilty as hell so sorted everything out with his insurance ASAP to minimise the amount you needed to sort out. :thumbsup:

I suppose I've grown less trusting over the years, used to be a bit naive and defiantely too trusting of people, sadly in these times you often pay the price for that frame of mind so I learned to wise up a bit(living in Argentina for 3 years helped speed up that process:laugh:).

I'd mention you are taking it to the local Alfa Romeo dealer of your choice if it's an Alfa Romeo and you purchased it from a local Alfa Romeo dealer.

Also if it's brand new they will have carried out the PDI. The best people to prepare it to the same standards. Why should your car have to have more miles put on it etc to travel to another dealer?

Brand new:eek: haha I wish, when I say new I mean new to me:D

One thing I'm wondering and hoping someone here might be able to answer for me.

If the other driver accepts full responsibility(which I'm assuming/hoping he will), when I get new quotes for car insurance and the question comes up "have you had any accidents or claims in the past 5 years", will I have to declare this one even if there was no claim on my own insurance?

gamingboy

You will have to declare. As a non fault. Some people report an increase. Others don't. For me I had an increase of around £150 when doing any quotes for a non fault claim.

shodan

Distinguished Member
thieving bastards, the lot of them. They've got us over a barrel as we have to have insurance...

gamingboy

The reasoning I got after not having an accident for 10 years........

Now that you've had one, you're more likely to have another.

I think the "statistics" they use show that those who have an accident, even non fault are likely to have another due to perhaps driving a dangerous/busy route etc.

For the sake of being legal I declared it.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
You know I feared that, what a "p" take. So aside from the inconience of having the hasstle of my new purchase taken away and being repaired(I'm never convinced by resprays as from my experience down the line you often start to see a slight difference in finish), but now I'll probably be looking at an insurance increase and hastle of having to declare details each time I get an estimate.

Whole thing's a joke TBH, would have thought that if an accident is no fault of your own and gone through the other partys insurance you shouldn't have to declare anything afterwards.

gamingboy

You might be worrying about nothing yet though. I was very annoyed like yourself and then just realised after I paid my renewal that it could have been a bad accident. No one was hurt and quick thinking on my part made it just metal on metal.

It's a p take, but at least you're still here to renew your insurance. :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
You might be worrying about nothing yet though. I was very annoyed like yourself and then just realised after I paid my renewal that it could have been a bad accident. No one was hurt and quick thinking on my part made it just metal on metal.

It's a p take, but at least you're still here to renew your insurance. :)

Very true, does make you think, what if it had been a small child behind this guys vehicle which could easily have been as there's a snack van right opposite:rolleyes:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Tetlee said:
Very true, does make you think, what if it had been a small child behind this guys vehicle which could easily have been as there's a snack van right opposite:rolleyes:

Quite , I reckon one of the best things about my car is the rear view camera , it does not stop the need for proper all round checking but it does give you another pair of eyes .....

You should have beeped your horn....but that could have got you into more trouble ( I beeped someone reversing out infront of me - and it was my fault! - no bump though - luckily)

If I was you I would find out the best body shop and take it there - Just because a franchised dealer is called 'alfa' or 'fiat' doesn't mean they are the best body shop in the area... I have found the smaller body shops take more pride in their work as a bad job will cost them more in the long run... I have never taken my car to where the insurance company suggest because they are just looking for the cheapest job...

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
You should have beeped your horn....but that could have got you into more trouble ( I beeped someone reversing out infront of me - and it was my fault! - no bump though - luckily)

I tried to, but having never used the horn of the new car(was my first proper drive in the thing) my natural reaction was to press the same area as my last car, and I ended up fumbling and too late.

With regards to bodyshop repairs, it's a tricky one as I don't know any recommended ones in my area so wherever I accept is a gamble. Bit disappointed today though as I was hoping to be contacted for the car to be assessed, nothing though despite calling LV at lunch time and them assuring me"oh, they should call this afternoon, in the mornings they usually prioritise cars that cannot be driven".

Hope they don't drag this whole thing out as I have the inlaws coming over from Argentina in two weeks time and really wanted everything to be perfect, and they've been all eager to see the car:(

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
I remember when someone slid on ice into the back of my 306 and wrote it off. It was a non-fault claim for me, insurance (admiral) basically paid out but cancelled the policy refunding the remainder (about £90 for 4 months left). When I got the car replaced it cost me £600 for a 307 rather than the £280 on the 306 to insure (same size engine and spec but newer model).

Basically they'll get you somehow for more money :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom