New Car - within 6 months

chrisw

I'm looking to change my A4 Cab 1.8T for something a bit smaller.

I've enjoyed having the car for 18 months, but am getting fed up with the lack of performance - getting beaten by a diesel with more grunt does my nut in!

Right requirements - 2 seater preferably, needs to be a drop top, not hideous depreciation or fuel economy, and betweeen £30 - 35k (or a lease deal of £500 / month max). I can wait until next year to change so if any one knows of any models that are upcoming soon, let me know. Plus I hate Beemers.

Obvious choices are Boxster, 350Z, New TT... any others and opinions?

chrisw

I do like the idea of an S2000 - but hear they are tricky in the wet (tried one in the dry and thought it was very good). Main issue is that it is quite a hard drive I think, I do a reasonable amount of mileage and don't know if I could cope with a 300 mile trip in it...

The boxster is a great car, my main issue is that these are now pretty common where I live, and at 27, I'll look like another flash city boy, which I'm keen to avoid!

Tomtt

Standard Member
yes, the old but trusty 1.8t engine is way too underpowered for such a big car. Diesel engine development has come a long way in the pass few years, and quite a few oil burners will give many "sports car" a good run for their money. The amount of torque output by some turbo diesels (especially the latest Beemer variant) are pretty impressive and even more so with a £500 ecu re-map.

Possiblities (New) cars: Nissan 350z, Merc SLK but adding options may increase your budget. Way below budget is the MR2, maybe not enough horses for you, but fun cars to drive. Something edgier, Lotus Exige, if too hard core, Lotus 111R or a rank outsider the Vauxhall VXR220. These last 3 choices are mostly track orientated, so luxery/comfort options are limited, but on the track they are a different animal! Note. depreciation on new cars,..ouch!;)

Nearly new / older cars : TVR Tamora, TVR T350 Targa (these will definitely sort out those oil burners,..on the straights anyway:D ). Boxster S but maybe too common for you, or maybe a top notch condition 911 / 993 - you'll lose little or no money on these. Many more choices in the nearly new brackets, but it's late and I have an early tee time tomorrow!

Go out and test drive as many cars as possible! Have fun

Tom

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Would any of you guys consider an Exige? Lovely looking car.

Andy Leitch

If the OP thinks an S2000 is a hard drive and a handful in the wet...an Exige is totally out of the question, with it's A048 semi-slicks and especially on a 300 mile trip.

Get an S2000 and invest in some skidpan-training. I did mine at the Durham Police HQ, even though I drive a FWD car.

Ian J

Banned
Tomtt said:
Possiblities (New) cars: Nissan 350z, Merc SLK but adding options may increase your budget.
For someone who has admitted to being image conscious the Merc SLK may be thought to be a bit too girlie.

chrisw

Ian J said:
For someone who has admitted to being image conscious the Merc SLK may be thought to be a bit too girlie.
You're probably right, enjoyed driving the SLK350, but the styling ain't me really... and it feels overpriced...

TVR's do take my fancy - but have no idea what they are like to drive, to live with or much about them apart from they are all fast as hell!

Drd

chrisw said:
TVR's do take my fancy - but have no idea what they are like to live with
They'll improve your social life.You'll be on first name terms with every mechanic between home and work:D

Beobloke

Have you thought about a Marcos? Similar design ethos to a TVR but apparently the chaps in Westbury actually know how to screw them together properly............

To give you an idea of what you could buy, first on Redline Sports Cars' stock list is a 1999 450bhp Mantis for £29,995.

http://www.redlinesportscars.com/marcosused.htm

*drooool*

Rapid 17

chrisw said:
I do like the idea of an S2000 - but hear they are tricky in the wet (tried one in the dry and thought it was very good). Main issue is that it is quite a hard drive I think, I do a reasonable amount of mileage and don't know if I could cope with a 300 mile trip in it...

The boxster is a great car, my main issue is that these are now pretty common where I live, and at 27, I'll look like another flash city boy, which I'm keen to avoid!
I believe traction control is an optional extra on the latest S2000. :smashin:

chrisw

Beobloke said:
Have you thought about a Marcos? Similar design ethos to a TVR but apparently the chaps in Westbury actually know how to screw them together properly............

To give you an idea of what you could buy, first on Redline Sports Cars' stock list is a 1999 450bhp Mantis for £29,995.

http://www.redlinesportscars.com/marcosused.htm

*drooool*
Sorry to say it, but I think they're UGLY!!!

But thanks for the suggestion ;)

Beobloke

chrisw said:
Sorry to say it, but I think they're UGLY!!!

But thanks for the suggestion ;)
Well i drive a Scorpio so am clearly not to be trusted in matters of car style................:D