markymark34

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a new car for the misses. Must do the following
1. Have 6 gears as she does a lot of motorway miles 18k a year
2. Be a diesel
3. be under manufacturers warranty
4. Not look like a shed.

She has an 04 Focus TDCI and its getting close to a change if we can find a car she like.

likes - Seat leon 1.9TDI
Possibly a newer focus (are they 6 speed?)
Hates the megane
Are there any smaller cars you can think of that have great mpg and a bit of poke? She really likes the new Fiesta but its too expensive.

Am i being stupid saying 6 gears? Every car ive driven with 5 has sucked at mpg at 80mph.

Cheers in advance!

Mark

Looking for a new car for the misses. Must do the following
1. Have 6 gears as she does a lot of motorway miles 18k a year
2. Be a diesel
3. be under manufacturers warranty
4. Not look like a shed.

She has an 04 Focus TDCI and its getting close to a change if we can find a car she like.

likes - Seat leon 1.9TDI
Possibly a newer focus (are they 6 speed?)
Hates the megane
Are there any smaller cars you can think of that have great mpg and a bit of poke? She really likes the new Fiesta but its too expensive.

Am i being stupid saying 6 gears? Every car ive driven with 5 has sucked at mpg at 80mph.

Cheers in advance!

Mark

Ive got 57 focus and it hasnt got 6 gears and you can tell. Its crying out for a extra gear

If you want long legs, then it doesn't matter how many gears it's got. What matters is the final drive ratio (mph per 1,000 rpm), and the throttle setting at the speed you're interested in.

Also, an individual's driving style has a lot to do with it, even at a 'steady' speed. I suggest you look at the published fuel figures and/or reviews in car mags.

Also, if it's mpg on motorways you're concerned about, then cruise control is highly recommended.

If you want long legs, then it doesn't matter how many gears it's got. What matters is the final drive ratio (mph per 1,000 rpm), and the throttle setting at the speed you're interested in.

Also, an individual's driving style has a lot to do with it, even at a 'steady' speed. I suggest you look at the published fuel figures and/or reviews in car mags.

Also, if it's mpg on motorways you're concerned about, then cruise control is highly recommended.

Im open to suggestions. Always find official figures total crap but yes i guess it would give an idea.

Are there any smaller cars you can think of that have great mpg and a bit of poke?

The latest renault Clio is every bit as good as the new Fiesta.
We didn't have a single piece of trouble with our one from 06 to 09.
The 1.5dci engine is available in 86bhp or 106bhp versions.
Great motorway cruiser, we took it from Aberdeen to Alton Towers loaded with kids and luggage.
Sat at 80-90mph no problem at all, with great mpg too.
Easily high 40s to low 50s mpg.
Group 3 insurance and £35 roadtax too (for the 86bhp model)
Here's a link to one in your price range.
Good spec too, full leather etc.
2007 Renault Clio 1500 cc 1.5 dCi 106 Initiale 5dr

Another

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ice-from/6000/sort/pricedesc/page/1&logcode=p

Its a shame that she doesn't like the Megane.

Recently started a car share with someone from work who has a 57 plate Megane GT which is a 2.0L Diesel with 150 Bhp. He does around the same milage and has had the car since new and he loves it. Very comfortable inside as well, full leather sport seats.

You should be able to get one in your price range as I saw some a few months ago when I was looking for my car. Gets around mid 40s in MPG whilst not being easy on the gas as well!

There is always the possibility of the Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi (16V):

The 150 bhp version that has 6 gears, good performance 0-60 8.3, and economy 50 mpg.

I had a quick look on Autotrader and there are quite a few around. You should be able to pick up an 08 reg for under £10k which would still be in manufacturer's warranty.

The less powerful 120 bhp version of the same car (SRi) that has less power but still has the 6 gears. These will be cheaper.

A slightly left field option is the Mazda 3. The 2.0 D has 6 gears but again this car is likely to be quite expensive. However a new version has just come out so you may be able to get a bargain on the old shape (but don't quote me on it)

Mazda6 Tamura wouldn't be a bad choice. It's a special edition for around £9k (57 or 08 plate I think). It has 6 speed, climate control blah blah blah and a different exterior style to the regular ones, with side skirts, different front bumper, boot spoiler. I bought one just before christmas and am getting on with it very well.

Its a shame that she doesn't like the Megane.

She's maybe got a prejudice against them.
It happens.
I have a pretty baseless prejudice against Vauxhalls.
I know I'll never own one, but I can't really give a good reason why.
Just don't like 'em!:nono:

why dont she want a petrol more power if that what she looking for

Last edited:
why dont she want a petrol more power if that what she looking for

18000 miles a year 50+ mpg, really has to be a diesel.

She doesnt like the look of the megane. Some good suggestions coming in, have found a few Astras and Cleos although its odd they are both about the same price, age, mileage. I would much rather buy the AStra as its a bigger car.

what about tdci fiesta 2006 they look oreyt

some cars if they 5spd they can get them uprated to 6spd as i know but that would mean you would after get a 6spd transmission

Last edited:
Yeah its a bummer, some of the newer focus's seem to have a 6th gear but i think they are out of the price range.

The 2.0 TDCi has a 6th gear from MKII onwards - it's the PSG 135bhp engine - pretty good by all accounts.

I have the 1.8 TDCi Focus MKII and it would be nice to have a 6th for the motorway, but it's still capable of getting 60 mpg regardless.

have found a few Astras and Cleos although its odd they are both about the same price, age, mileage. I would much rather buy the AStra as its a bigger car.

Looking on Autotrader;

There are 5036 Astras for sale between £6000 and £9000
There are 1886 Clios for sale between £6000 and £9000

That undoubtedly explains the fact you can get an Astra for Clio money.
They're common as muck and are often heavily discounted when new, which drives used prices down too.

I happily spent our money on a Clio, I wouldn't thank you for an Astra for free.:suicide:
I wouldn't necessarily say the Astra is that much bigger either.
The latter-day Clios are very roomy inside.
My wife has recently leased a new Ford Fiesta, and is already missing the room her Clio had.

Last edited:
You'll most probably find mondeo\vectras are even cheaper then focus/astra.

Signum is probably even cheaper too.

Guaranteed exclusivity with one of those!
They probably stop and talk to each other when they see another one.:D

Come to Luton, land of Vauxhall, where there are loads of them! :rotfl:

Come to Luton, land of Vauxhall, where there are loads of them! :rotfl:

Aye?
Seriously, it must be staff getting to run around in them or something, eh?
Or mega discount deals?
If ever there was a car that screams "I don't know what I'm doing", it's a Signum.:D

Aye?
Seriously, it must be staff getting to run around in them or something, eh?
Or mega discount deals?
If ever there was a car that screams "I don't know what I'm doing", it's a Signum.:D

I'm only here for a year on rotation, but looking down my street *runs to window* ...

... I can count ... scratch that, they're all at work! :rotfl:

Usually there are two Vauxhalls/Saabs for every other non-Vauxhall around here. Lots of staff discounts etc!

I agree with the guy who said that the 6 speed is not really what you wanna be looking at, it's the ratio of the final drive thats important. with diesels being all about torque you may well find the 5 speed being better suited. for the money the focus will be the best alrounder no question imo. you will pay over the odds for german and the french will fall to bits around you.

Just my oppinion of course :D

I agree with the guy who said that the 6 speed is not really what you wanna be looking at, it's the ratio of the final drive thats important. with diesels being all about torque you may well find the 5 speed being better suited. for the money the focus will be the best alrounder no question imo. you will pay over the odds for german and the french will fall to bits around you.

Just my oppinion of course :D

Would like another focus but she has been really put off by the poor mpg of current one, however silverfox is trying to work some magic on a focus forum.

Its not exactly easy to get info on final drive ratios and every 6 speed diesel that ive owned has had superb economy on motorway drives. That was my main reason for suggesting it.

Think the signum is a bit big/ugly but thanks for the suggestion. Focus/astra size would be the biggest she would drive.

Would like another focus but she has been really put off by the poor mpg of current one, however silverfox is trying to work some magic on a focus forum.

Its not exactly easy to get info on final drive ratios and every 6 speed diesel that ive owned has had superb economy on motorway drives. That was my main reason for suggesting it.

Think the signum is a bit big/ugly but thanks for the suggestion. Focus/astra size would be the biggest she would drive.

Ironically, the bigger diesel engines in the current Focus are actually pretty good - they're Peugeot derived, but are 16v instead of Ford's 8v in the 1.8 TDCi. I'm getting great returns on my 1.8 in the MKII, but still pine so badly for the 2.0 instead. If I didn't have the serious luxury inside mine, I'd get rid pronto. But I can't, because even putting 20k on the clock in a year, the car has barely depreciated!

That said, I am ashamed to say this: Vauxhall's 1.9 CDTi 16v 150bhp engine in the Astra/Vectra, is a damned fine engine, and returned 55 mpg for me driving a bit keen. My GF's Avensis 2.0D returns close to 60 mpg as well ...

If you want another Focus, the 1.6/2.0 in the MKII are the 16v aluminium blocks with decent grunt and economy. But Consider something like the Auris/Corolla with the 2.0D in it (the former has a 6-speed available), or the Vauxhall if you can stand cleaning the vomit up every day.

If you can get hold of official brochures, final drive ratios and whatnot should be in there.

Have you considered a Skoda Octavia?
It probably won't have your 6th gear - you're not going to be looking at the vRS.
However something with the 1.9 TDi engine should fall nicely in your budget.
A quick search on Auotrader shows you can easily afford something less than 3yrs old (so you'll still have some manufacturers waranty).
Newest is on a 58 plate for £8.5k

Ask me 3 years ago would you ever buy a Skoda - would have been a definite no.
Owned my Octy vRS for just over a year now and I've loved every minute of driving it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom