New car time, again !!!

Mylo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It looks like after a year and about 22k miles of abuse I may have seriously broken my Volvo :(

Time to look for another car maybe, looking to spend £2k cash. Not after anything flash or low mileage as it's going to get hammered by my daily drive.

The criteria is as follows.

Travel about 70 miles per day, every day.
Limited servicing as I'm a lazy git.
Enough cabin space for me and a couple of passengers to cruise in comfort.
Enough boot space for a 15" sub box and some luggage :D

So far I'm considering: BMW 5 series, most Saabs and ..........:confused:

any tips ?

for abuse and not caring a mondeo?

you want a car where for the money has been cared for in the past so you dont have too lol,

is economy an issue?

audi a6 petrol models are cheap
passat petrol models cheap but both have cambelts every 60k
mondeos dont suffer from this,

vectra diesel?

you want a car where for the money has been cared for in the past so you dont have too lol,

is economy an issue?

That's basically it :D The sort of motor that's maybe been pampered but has gone over the 100k mark that seems to scare a lot of people.

Don't really want to exceed my current fuel bill, £50pw which equates to about 420 miles.

Had a look at Mondeos, quite a good selection available, but they are too dull looking in all but the ST style.

Realistically after the relative luxury of a volvo, electric everything and comfy leather a big comfy car seems the best option.

A 7 series v8 would be nice but I'd be skint within a week :rotfl:

As much has Id like to agree on the Saab ( Ive got a 9 5) with the mileage your doing it may cost just a bit on fuel. If most of your driving is motorway then fine youll get anything up to just about high 30s. These cars absolutely eat the miles up with ease and are one of the most comfortable rides youll get. Chuck in a big boot ,large rear arm rest with fold up "table" and 2 cupholders and youll find its also extremely practical- and they go alright;) .
Had 5 series before and would have to say my 9 5 is at least its equal . The Saab has a bigger boot,more comfy seats and is I feel a better motorway car.

pug 406 diesel? get a well fitted out one for 2k, spesh as its a lrge french car lol,

im thinking an a6 tdi one that's not due a cambelt change or one that is and quote you need to spend £400 to get it done when really you can get it done at good indy for £200, youl clear your mileage budget easily, id expect min 600 miles on motorway for the £50.

plus its comfy well built and plenty of parts around if things go wrong.

my next car will be an a6 tdi with budget of 3.5k, currently running a passat tdi, saved a ton in fuel, and not let me down. done over 30k in the year iv had it

How about the toyota avensis to be a bit different.

What about a Peugeot 607? Roomy, comfortable and economical in diesel guise ... see here for examples ... http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...=0&ukcarsearch_full.x=43&ukcarsearch_full.y=9

I'd stick well clear of the 607.. if you want a hassle free car, they (like most big peugeots) get cheap very quick for a reason.. they are crap.

E.g when i worked for peugeot the of the 1st batch we sold we got over half back the same week with varying problems... one didn't even manage to get out of the showroom.. one came back with a £900 g.box valve body problem (which we couldn't get as it was so new) this ment it stuck it's self in 3rd gear and refused to change.
Others had various ecu problems etc.

Definately a car to avoid.

Have you though about a Honda Legend or Toyota Camry those tend to be fairly cheap (around your budget) but well looked after with loads of the electrical bits you want.. not to mention built to last.

I've decide it will definitely be either German or Swedish engineering.
Trouble is the Saab convertibles look very tempting, to replace both my cars. Probably look at some 9-5's though first.

How are they for electrical and other well known problems ?

Edit: even more importantly, can I fit my 'single din' mp3 head unit into the cockpit style dash ?

Lovely cars but too common as Taxis in Slough :( getting a good one would probably involve venturing too far outside the M25 area.

tis tempting. A V70 with all the toys :D

I've decide it will definitely be either German or Swedish engineering.
Trouble is the Saab convertibles look very tempting, to replace both my cars. Probably look at some 9-5's though first.

How are they for electrical and other well known problems ?

Edit: even more importantly, can I fit my 'single din' mp3 head unit into the cockpit style dash ?

Yes you can, Ive fitted an Alpine. You need an adaptor cage though, takes it down from a double din to single.Should add, this is easier and more straight forward on the AS1 audio system (single CD). No real leccy problems but they do need regular (3 - 5 thousand mile) oil changes using FULLY synthetic.Also need to check the condition of the PCV pipe work. If theyre "squishy" they need changing, about £28 for the lot. Also worth reading this :http://www.saab9-5.com/faq_acc.htm . The 9 3s are nice but I dont think the interior quality is as good as the 9 5s.

well it seem a baby 5 series will be my next toy.

518i SE on a N plate, moon and back mileage but with full service history.

This will let me find out if rear wheel drive suits my driving style, without breaking the bank.

:)

I run a Toyota Camry 2.2 sport. Model never really took off in this country but it was a top seller in the US and Australia and is a fantastic car! Leather seats, electric everything etc etc.
£2000 sould get you a decent enough one, although ebay may be your best bet as they are as rare as hens teeth! Don't need to worry about parts as its a Toyota so it doesn't go wrong and fuel on motorway runs is exceptionally good (unless I boot it everywhere then its bad!) and it is the most comfortable, quiet, drivers car I've ever been in.
I recently did a 4 hour trip to birmingham and it was very comfortable and at the end of the journey I got out of the car as comfortable as when I got in it.

saab 9000= bulletproof.
bargains to be had with them now. £1500 should get a good newer model(95-97),lots with full history around 100,000 miles.
pick of the bunch 2.3 turbo engine,225bhp 0-60 in 6.5 secs 150 mph plus!!!

biggest boot on a hatchback i have ever seen! my first one ,9000 carlsson was sold with 227,000 miles and i stil see it about now and then and i sold it 5 years ago:eek:

looking for a similar car for my mrs... was considering the saab95, also the merc c's, and also the alfa 156, although to be fair, I was a little scared of buying an alfa!

The 2.5 v6 156 is a cracking drive,know what you mean on the reliability though!
I go to alfaowners for interesting comments on alfa's.

Well here I go again :suicide:

The bimmer never appeared as the owner decide he may as well keep it for another year :mad:

Have about £5k cash to spend and I've decided fun is an important factor.

So my choice of cars is now down to a very different short list, opinions please

Leon T Sport
Leon Cupra
Clio 172
Focus St 170
Volvo S60 2.0T SE

Don't go for the Clio, fun car, but with the mileage you do it'll be dead in six months.

From that list, it would be between the Cupra and the Focus for me. My cousin had an St170 and it didn't hang about.

How about a 306 though? You can have mine for £5k:devil:

been there, killed that :oops:

I have to admit that since my 'le mans' trip this year, the Leon has been playing havoc with my brain.

We went Aston Martin baiting in my mates Cupra R, over 275bhp was awesome fun on toll roads :clap:

edit: have given up worrying about fuel costs, 30mpg on a run is good enough for me :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom