New car purchase - advice required

SamF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently looking at purchasing a new A6 Avant Bi Black Edition for the princely sum of ~68k.

Now back and forth with Audi saleman etc negotiating the price down and better discounts extras blah blah I have hit a wall.

After removing some of the extras the value is now a tickle under 60k. Now this isn't through him doing me a favour and finding a better discount, this is through me removing options (LED Lighting etc).

Right, what I have an issue with is that I was trying to push a 3k contribution but no joy. but if I spent my time shopping around gathering a better finance package, find the car cheaper, they would meet or better it. I know the salesman is not 'my friend' but this is more money than I have ever spent on a car, ever, and want to get the best possible deal so I don't feel ripped off and end up not enjoying the car.

Sorry I will get to the point......

I have found the car with ability to purchase direct from the factory floor it seems, exactly the same spec, item for item, at 3 different places and all saving me in the region of 10k to 16k on the best purchase price Audi offer- are these places dodgy?

Broadspeed
Drivethedeal
Orangewheels

Has anyone bought through these?

I can understand how the prices can be so competitive, no 150% markups, no overheads or state of the art showrooms and service centers.......

The other issue I have is that the salesman was fine, until I showed a little more interest and talked numbers and he was virtually taking my card out of my wallet for a deposit to secure interest in the vehicle......:lease:

I really don't know what I should do as the guy wants me back in tomorrow to pay 2k to secure the discounts (??) we have negotiated or lose the deal.... He did say they would refund the deposit if I found it cheaper and they wouldn't match - whether this is true as I asked for it in writing and he side stepped that one.

Thanks all who can shed some knowledge and advice!

Sam

Last edited:
Broadspeed and DriveTheDeal are perfectly legit, I can't comment on the other one. You won't buy the car from them, they'll put you in touch with a UK Audi dealer and the sale will all be done through them. The broker will receive a commission from the dealer and due to the volume of business they provide said dealer they get fleet discounts. Show the deal to your Audi dealer and see if they can get close to it, if not then take your business to one of the brokers.

As to your salesman being pushy, of course he is, he's a salesman. The fact he didn't get you to sign on the dotted line there and then means he's probably lost a sale as he's let you leave and do research you really should have done before you approached a dealer.
The dealer will waffle you with BS about the car not being UK supplied, different spec etc, of course you should check all this with the broker but if they're putting you in touch with a UK dealer it's just that, BS.

Don't pay your dealer anything until you have the deal you want, them changing the deal after you've paid a deposit to your benefit is unlikely and they will have clauses that you can't get a refund if you change your mind.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info regarding Broadspeed and DriveTheDeal.

I understand the point of the salesman - that is what they do and I assume most of their salary will be commission based too which would make them a bit more driven. But, I do hold my hands up, I did research the car I want spec etc, but didn't really look in to the other options on where to purchase it - call it inexperience as I have only bought second hand before now.

I will take the deals in tomorrow and see if they will match, if not, I will move on and deal elsewhere and DTD is looking favorite.

While they might not be able to match they may get close. If they're working hard for your business and the deal is good enough it may be worth biting the bullet for a few hundred quid if they're going to supply, service and repair your car etc. They'll always look after their own customers before people who bought elsewhere. If you intend keeping the car a long time it's certainly worth considering.

As well as how much the car costs in £ also look into finance before you go, no point in saving thousands off the list price and then getting screwed on the finance and any extra insurance such as GAP etc.

You may find joining an Audi forum would help finding a 'tame' dealer. I recently ordered a car and my nearest dealership would only offer a 5% discount (and that was bloody hard work). Whilst on a manufacturer specific forum I noticed people talking about great deals they had got from a someone that works at a main dealer and is a member of the forum. I PM'd the guy and there was no hard haggling he offered me the best he could do and I went ahead with the order (over 19% discount). It means me travelling to the other end of the country to pick up my car, but the dealership is putting me up in a hotel the night before handover.

Agreed mate, already looked into a couple of finance deals already based on around 45k over a 4 year deal was bang on 500/mth which is what my target price was. Unfortunately the 2 attempts from audi came in at 830/mth and 740/mth but the base cost is 15k more.

Is gap really worth the 1k they are asking if I intend to exchange the car in 3 yrs?

I know that they will treat me completely different if I purchased the car elsewhere, but for me this prob wouldn't be my garage of choice for servicing. I live in Leicester and work in Birmingham so there are half a dozen dealers and service stations between the two!

Personal question, have you or anyone you know purchased a car this way through one of the above companies?

Thanks again, sam

You may find joining an Audi forum would help finding a 'tame' dealer. I recently ordered a car and my nearest dealership would only offer a 5% discount (and that was bloody hard work). Whilst on a manufacturer specific forum I noticed people talking about great deals they had got from a someone that works at a main dealer and is a member of the forum. I PM'd the guy and there was no hard haggling he offered me the best he could do and I went ahead with the order (over 19% discount). It means me travelling to the other end of the country to pick up my car, but the dealership is putting me up in a hotel the night before handover.

Thanks, I don't mind travelling to get a new car, I've picked them up from Plymouth to Glasgow so no issues.

Don't suppose you can PM me the contact? :)

Funnily enough I am a member at VWAF but didn't cross my mind, the guys here are much nicer ;)

Personal question, have you or anyone you know purchased a car this way through one of the above companies?

Thanks again, sam

The way to look at this is they are people that will negotiate a deal for you and a small part of that deal for their profit. They have built relationships with dealerships and easily get a decent price. DTD are highly respected. It's really no different to buying from the main dealer once you've gone ahead with the deal.

Thanks, I don't mind travelling to get a new car, I've picked them up from Plymouth to Glasgow so no issues.

Don't suppose you can PM me the contact? :)

Funnily enough I am a member at VWAF but didn't cross my mind, the guys here are much nicer ;)

I can yes but they are a BMW dealer.

Awesome, my (wifes) golf was bought through an audi dealer in chalfont and BMW finance!

Dealers make no money selling new cars, once you factor in the cost of running the dealership, with their profits coming from servicing, and used cars, plus retros and rebates on new models, based on volume. This is how the brokers come in, as they can put enough business through a select number of dealers to ensure they hit volume targets.

Might be worth trying Vindis Group, as they are a very big player in VAG and may be able to offer you better pricing.

Well, as thought the dealer virtually laughed at me when I requested they match the price, or even get close.

Even if they throw in GAP and paint protection and free servicing for 3 years they would still be about 10k out.

I will be giving DTD a call tomorrow along with the other suggestions and go from there.

Thanks all for your help, it's great to know this forum helps with everything not just tech!

Sam

Bear in mind, you can sometimes get a better deal than DTD - I did when looking for the best price for a Honda Accord for my Dad.

Found the dealer DTD was using (from a Honda forum) and called them directly, explaining I knew the price they were offering to DTD customers and if they could do any better. They were reluctant to discuss over the phone but mentioned they would "sort me out" if I went down in person, ready to sign on the dotted line. Even though was a 2 hr drive away, we went down there, spoke to the salesman who offered us the same price as DTD but said we could pick an extra #500 of options for no cost (I'm guessing this was part of the commission they were paying to DTD).

Worth a shot.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, it's worth a shot yes, just need to find out which audi garage deals with DTD :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom