New car - Looking for some inspiration

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
No idea. Will have to check later. I have the older infotainment system though ('17 plate).
Ahh, totally different car then. The Golf 8 shares very little with the 7.5 in terms of the electronics.

I gather the issue is with the new infotainment system which would explain why your car is fault free. My 2016 Passat was the same, pretty much a perfect vehicle. This GTD however is a different matter...

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Ahh, totally different car then. The Golf 8 shares very little with the 7.5 in terms of the electronics.

I gather the issue is with the new infotainment system which would explain why your car is fault free. My 2016 Passat was the same, pretty much a perfect vehicle. This GTD however is a different matter...
Ah gotcha.
A fried of mine has a brand new Arteon and it's riddled with problems too. The digital dash turns off while they are driving!

nheather

Distinguished Member

I test drove a GTI 7.5 and then a GTE 8 and the new user interface is very different. The Golf 8 has very few real buttons, even the controls on the steering wheel are touch sensitive. Not a fan myself.

The cockpit materials are not so good either - hard scratchy plastics.

Cheers,

Nigel

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I test drove a GTI 7.5 and then a GTE 8 and the new user interface is very different. The Golf 8 has very few real buttons, even the controls on the steering wheel are touch sensitive. Not a fan myself.

The cockpit materials are not so good either - hard scratchy plastics.

Cheers,

Nigel
You are not wrong. Some of the trim feels a little cheap, but they've made up for it with things like the LED headlights, which are better than anything else I've driven.

The touch interface takes a little getting used to, but I've adjust quickly. Being able to swipe as well as press is useful and the controls soon fall to hand. The ride is firmer than the outgoing model, but on 18" wheels, it's pretty good at most speeds. Less road noise would be nice, as would more rear leg room, which with the sports seats in the GTD is at something of a premium...

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I've always wondered if turning a car into a jet fighter is a good idea. Now the matter seems a little bit less complicated...
Saab did that many years ago. My digital dash on my Range Rover does the same about 15 years later 🤣

But, I really like that. Just present the information that is required at the time.

Although I doubt the poster meant it like that. If it was a full switch off that would be a fault.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Saab did that many years ago. My digital dash on my Range Rover does the same about 15 years later 🤣

But, I really like that. Just present the information that is required at the time.

Although I doubt the poster meant it like that. If it was a full switch off that would be a fault.
It is 100% a fault. Been in twice already and still not fixed.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Damn. Can you refuse it or has that time past?
I think they really like the car, other than this. If it carries on, it will be returned as not fit for purpose.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I think they really like the car, other than this. If it carries on, it will be returned as not fit for purpose.
Be careful. You only have 30 days. I’ve learned my lesson by letting a dealer try and fix it. The time expired and then it becomes hard, very hard to return it.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Be careful. You only have 30 days. I’ve learned my lesson by letting a dealer try and fix it. The time expired and then it becomes hard, very hard to return it.
It's a lease if that makes a difference?!

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
It's a lease if that makes a difference?!
Similar period, I would make certain if you haven’t already that your lease company is aware of the issues and let them deal with it. That way when you want to do an early return than it won’t come as a surprise to them.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I had a Seat Ibiza many years ago and the analogue dash decided to cut out one night. I was driving around the M25 when the entire cockpit went dead. Every gauge, every light, even the radio illumination went off. I still had headlights, so I could see where I was going, just nothing on the dash.

A good thump on the dash brought it all back and once home I popped the centre binnacle out and re-seated the connector. That cured the issue and it never reappeared.

Until it all cuts out, you don't realise quite how dark the inside of a car is...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom