1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New car forces downgrade :-(

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by graham.myers, May 20, 2002.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This weekend I test drove the Honda S2000 Roadster.

And I want one!:D

Now to fund this £27k beast I'm considering selling stacks of stuff on e-bay.

One consideration is to sell my £500 ish 201 disc DVD Autochanger (CX-850) and an American Pioneer DVD-606D. I know I'd only get less than £500 for both but never mind

The Pioneer has component out, the CX850 doesn't so I tend to switch between the two depending on the material- films, tv-series etc.

Now, a couple of guys at work have the Tosh SD210, and one has the 110. They think they're brilliant for the money.

I'm considering selling the two players above and getting the Tosh 220 and utilise the component out. I've seen it for about £170ish

The rest of the kit I have is (I consider) top end stuff - Kef TXK reference series speakers, Denon AVC1D, VW10 PJ, although the speaker cable is "only" QED Silver.

Would I notice a severe degredation of picture and sound quality switching to this player?

I know its only only going to put a few hundred pounds into the broom-broom kitty, but as Tescos say "every little helps".

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never actually test driven the S2000 but I have a Honda Integra Type-R and have test driven the Civic Type-R.

Both cars are immense, with the Integra having the speed edge and IMHO looking a lot cooler (and are rarer).

I know a mate who took the Integra and S2000 out on a track day, that would be cool.

If you can get your S2000 in yellow, you will indeed be King of the Road :)

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A guy at work has just had a yellow one delivered.

I prefere the silver edition myself

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silver (with red interior) is second best I reckon and is much more common. Don't get the blue though, it makes this awesome car look like an MGF on the road!

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, I meant the Integra has the speed edge over the Civic, not the S2000 (obvious to most of us but didn't want any confusion).

That said, unless on a track day, you'd never be able to test that out. All three cars are cracking.

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I wasn't impressed with the blue. I test drove silver/Read Leather/Black dash

Went to a dealer at lunchtime, they're offering a naff trade in on my Accord Type-V so I may have to sell privately

Back to considering an import too, as the insurance companies don't care if its an import - not what I was led to believe.

Same goes for being garaged or on the drive - £38 difference in the premium.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's because I only have 3 years NCB but my insurance company would have charged double had my Integra been an import...

I have a feeling the Jap imports gain a few bhp over the UK models. Again, not something that is likely to make much odds on the road but still cool :)

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "import" was an EU-Import - they asked - a Japanese import will probably be a hefty uplift.

Only difference is
    the warranty (3 years 90,000 down to 3 years 60000)
    don't get an alarm
    don't get locking wheel nuts

other than that its as a UK model only a few K cheaper.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see why they don't come with alarms, the Integra doesn't either (or Air Con). My insurance co. won't insure it without proof I added a Thatcham 1 alarm. That was an extra £400 on the purchase price!

10. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Honda do make some very fine cars,all 3 mentioned being excellent examples,although i do think that the S2000 is a little overpriced. Something to think about if you are planning to buy a parallel import of such performance models,dont be surprised if when you come to sell it is worth considerably less than the official UK model.
    I wish i was holding enough of the folding to be considering such a purchase.:( :( :D

11. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ther various sites I've visited since Saturday seem to indicate because they're in such high demand and the people who want them are "in the know" the fact its an import doesn't seem to affect the resale value. Its the billy Joe punter who's not that savvy in this arena shy away from an EU import due to the bad press generated by dealers to get you to buy thier overpriced cars.

I still may get a UK version, but its certanly looking rosy for an import.

UK List is £27,280 (I can get this down to £26,500 without trying by the look of it). An import seems to be £25732 so not a staggering saving of £750 ish - £500 of which I'll need for an alarm.

If I went for a standard model (i.e. without the hard top). A UK price is £26,250 and an import is £22,800 - thats £3450.

So even after an alarm I still save £3k. It'll be £1600 for a hard top after delivery rather than £1000 if factory fit. Its still £1400 in my pocket thank you very much, although my Type-V is costing me about £600 in insurance - the S2000 will be £950. Ouch.

soooo tempting.

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do agree that it's hard to argue that the Integra R is/was worth £5k more than the Civic R and that in turn the S2000 is worth £5k more than the Integra R.

I also don't think there's ANY way the S2000 is worth a clear £10k more than the Civic R.

Whichever way you look at it, not much of that money's going on soundproofing ;)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at my old employer www.tins.co.uk goods deals on UK and EU never sold many Hondas when I was there.

14. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not buy a topline Honda motorbike, which is much faster (0-60 in under 3 seconds, top speed of around 175mph), for £8K, kit yourself out with all the best protective clothing (another 2.5K), £500 for a training course to take your bike test, you get to keep all your lovely AV kit, you save £16K expense, and you become the darling of the car park ;)

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I buy this Honda S2000 DVD player? And is a multi-region mod available? ;) :p

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I just bought a Subaru WRX player. It is definitely multi-region, but I'm having trouble with progressive component out on UK roads, I keep seeing this quick double white flash. Does anyone else have this trouble?

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Completely of the subject Squirrel do you broadband in your tree as 6.83 posts per day is some going for a small mammal. Are you using a normal keyboard or do you get a special one.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I use BT ADSL at home and I have a 100Mbit/sec connection at work :D

I wouldn't call it a normal keyboard on my notebook, but IBM probably would :rolleyes:

Is 6.83 posts/day really that much? :rolleyes: Now you've made me feel bad - I'll have to post less now :blush:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    the blue pill was just a laxative...

20. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    back on topic :)

would you swap a "not top of the range but with good reviews because its an autochanger" for a budget dvd that got rave reviews when it was priced at £300?

my autochanger is full so I'm switching discs anyway, and having 300+ discs now even the new 301 autochanger is below my needs hence the reason for switching back to a single disc player.

The car is a nice to have, although getting nicer by the second!

I was going to use the car purchase to shuffle my AV kit and get rid of - to me - redundant kit without 'er indoors thinking I'm changing for changing sake. I can go to her cap in hand and say "Dear, please can I spend my own money on a new car please please. And look I'm willing to give up this amazing autochanger for a low end entry machine to save money"

You never know it might work! LOL!

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Life is full of compromise, I'm sure the tosh will give you a very fine picture and sound, maybe hard to distinguish from what you have. If you are still young enough to enjoy the Honda, you can get out of your chair to change discs. It's only once every 2 hours!

22. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitting 40 at the end of the year - mid life crisis - hence the NEED for a roadster :devil:

23. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy here who's got the yellow S2000 actually bought a Civic Type-R he went to take delivery, saw the S2000 and bought that too!

So he must think there's a difference - he sold his Boxter to finance it.

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, wrong side of big 40 myself, in fact I have the answer to the ultimate question, have to compromise with my kit owing to racing trimaran + impreza, but I'm happy, or I am when I have time to think. Still haven't worked out the question, of course. Not really a Honda man myself, though Fast & Furious entertained me, so I won't join the debate on the car, but I have a mate with the Tosh 210, has the same PJ as me, it's good. Just possible to tell it's not as good picture wise as my HCPC, but sound is better. I had to buy new trampolines for the boat this year, so the sound card upgrade is on hold....

25. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    so, 50:50 weight balance, best production transmission available, shortest gearbox throw in its class, full leather interior and a soft-top that goes down in 6 seconds? not worth £10K more. I think it is.

The civics will be everywhere before long, as s2000 availability will remain more limited in the UK, I would say kudos is with the s2000.

Graham, perhaps the two most important points are

A) UK model - probably have it by july. Belgian/dutch import could be 5 months away, goodbye summer.
    B) hardtop - only £1K extra on UK purchase, but £2.5 extra on european purchase. If this is your 2nd car, then perhaps you don't need a hardtop.

26. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But more importantly Graham,

an Alpine 6.5 " widescreen LCD panel mounted in the dash just above the central airvents.

Full 5.1 surround sounds with sub in boot, running off DVD player mounted behind seats. Possibility for PS2 in boot also, although I'd recommend an Xbox install.

Bass shakers attached to both seats. DAB and satellite radio-compatible head unit.

Then - you can sell all your home AV kit, and just spend time in the car!

27. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had an email from an importer for a GT model (the hard top version)

He's quoted £25k and 3 months delivery. A UK dealer has quoted £27k. And 3 months delivery!

So that £2k will go towards an upgraded warranty (£300ish) and a cat 1 alarm (£500ish) to bring it inline with a UK sourced vehicle.

that still leaves £1200 for me. Actually I'm not saving £1200, I'm spending £1200 less. At least thats the arguement I use with the wife when she's says shes found a bargain!

28. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I did that I would have to live in the car - she'd kick me out !

29. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > so, 50:50 weight balance, best production transmission
    > available, shortest gearbox throw in its class, full leather
    > interior and a soft-top that goes down in 6 seconds? not worth > £10K more. I think it is.

Yeah, but there's still that embarrassing race loss on on Top Gear.

Still, if you feel leather and a quick roof make up for that... :p

Fair play, for £25k it is the best roadster you can buy.

30. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just remember to grab your favourite DVDs on the way out ;)

usual Top Gear/Ferrari fixed racing. which presenter was driving the s2000 ? :rolleyes: