New car charging scam ?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Just received an email saying i owe a Penalty charge from last monday the 5th
i am guessing this is bollocks , as i don't think i even left the house on that date
i have cover a few details just in case ...
but what are you thoughts ?
car.jpg

No details of what car was been driven at the time !!!

Crafty

Complete fake, look at the email address, unless you've been parking in Morocco that is.

How would they link your email address to your vehicle ?

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
  • [email protected] Why is the Home Office Penalty Collection Service based in Morocco?
  • The Home Office does not issue tickets for non-payment of congestion charges.
  • There is no supporting evidence, especially details of the alleged "offence".
  • No UK official departments would ever use 'GBP' in a letter to a citizen, especially not with the £ sign as well
  • 0343 222 3331 "temporarily unavailable"!! WTF?
Put the following words into the correct order

pole a touch not barge with do.

NUMBER NOT PHONE THAT DO

mjn

Distinguished Member
I can’t think of any aspect of that email that would make me think it is genuine.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Looooooooooooooooooooooooool scammers crack me up

But I equally feel for those that fall for it.

mjn

Distinguished Member
I’ve just received the same email.

D

Deleted member 498601

Tbf, whilst clearly looking as fake as the day is long, the English started off great, until the bottom of the first paragraph:
'at the date and timestarted below'

1602538385695.png

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Someone needs to buy them a calendar too (or at least teach them to count)!

Date of ‘offence’: 05/10/20
Date email sent: 12/10/20
You have 14 days...to pay the discounted penalty charge...if this is not paid by 15/10/20 then the full penalty charge...
:facepalm:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Also the way the time is written, a mixture of 12 and 24 hour clock format, although, to be fair, I have seen people genuinely write it out like this before

16:24 PM

rather than 16:24 or 4:24 PM

Also, the charge is a strange amount (£13.24), but regardless of that, the way it presents the rising charges is weird.

It starts off saying, it is £13.24 but if you don’t pay with 28 days it will rise to £50.96.

And then two paragraphs later the letter introduces another penalty period, if you don’t pay within 14 days it will rise to £26.48.

Even if this were genuine I reckon you could get it ’thrown out’ because of the errors and confusing presentation.

I guess we should all be thankful that scammers are thick and lazy so their scams are so full of tells. It would be frightening if they ever thought to do some proper research and write decent letters.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Dwayne Dibley

Perfectly genuine. I would pay it. And whilst you're at it bung me a tenner for putting you straight.

:)

crashcris

Distinguished Member
I guess we should all be thankful that scammers are thick and lazy so their scams are so full of tells. It would be frightening if they ever thought to do some proper research and write decent letters.

Cheers,

Nigel
Not so at all. I heard on a report of such email scams that so called "tells" are deliberate. They are used to filter out the most gullible and least suspecting of the recipients for future, more elaborate scams. Once they've received a response to an obvious scam, your name will be on the top of the list and shared/sold on to other scammers, each time collecting more information on the victim and making further frauds more profitable.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Not so at all. I heard on a report of such email scams that so called "tells" are deliberate. They are used to filter out the most gullible and least suspecting of the recipients for future, more elaborate scams. Once they've received a response to an obvious scam, your name will be on the top of the list and shared/sold on to other scammers, each time collecting more information on the victim and making further frauds more profitable.

True, they definitely build and maintain a database of successful targets that they exchange/sell with other groups.

Also I notice that some of the more recent “your Windows PC has been attacked” telephone scams have started with a question “do you work in IT”.

Cheers,

Nigel

crashcris

Distinguished Member
What was the questionable manner that you were using the account? 🤔
I don't know, but all I had to do was use my old log in details and create new ones, strangely enough, I was able to still use my old log in details then, but now my neither my old nor new ones seem to work, perhaps it's just an administrative thing and at least I did what they asked me to, before my account was locked, like they said.:lesson:

krish

Distinguished Member
Good man, must be a relief to have updated the informations within 1 days. I'll get round to mine later, still currently dealing with a car accident I can't remember getting into, but I'm owed some compensation, so just getting my account information etc ready in order to pass a security check for those monies.

crashcris

Distinguished Member
Seems a ton of people got sent this one yesterday. Knobbers on Facebook are also querying it.
It must be a data problem or some such, either way it's good of them to contact people and provide a quick link for an easy remedy. BTW, I think they're still having problems as I still can't log in and totally unconnected, my bank card was refused at Tesco, guess I'll give them a call in a little while.

brownhq

Standard Member
Enjoyed this thread :)
All I can report is getting a couple of texts from “My3“ that my new account has been set up.
These texts did make me check with my provider (not Three) that there was no suspicious activity on my account.
All okay but found it so difficult to talk to a human being!

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom