New Captain Scarlet: The Complete Series

Garrett

Reaction score
Ah dammit. Just saw the words Captain Scarlet & was hoping it was the original series. Would love the original series on Blu-ray :)
ditto when i saw the e-mail but I still enjoyed the series far more than the new Thunderbirds which I thought they dubbed down like Marvel done with there recent cartoons.

Apparently the original broadcast credits have been changed to what the makers originally intended and despite being listed on the Network site the 5.1 sound from the dvd is not included either. One for the sales

My copy was dispatched by Network yesterday, been along time since I last saw it and while its a shame it doesn't include the 5.1 track that isn't enough to put me off finally being able to see the show in HD, for along time this prospect seemed impossible as they believed the original files were lost so I thank Network for releasing it but sure would be nice if for the 50th they put out the original series.

My copy was dispatched by Network yesterday, been along time since I last saw it and while its a shame it doesn't include the 5.1 track that isn't enough to put me off finally being able to see the show in HD, for along time this prospect seemed impossible as they believed the original files were lost so I thank Network for releasing it but sure would be nice if for the 50th they put out the original series.
I'll pick up the new series in a sale but I am perplexed that the original series seems to be missing out on its 50th birthday. Once Network started releasing things like Department S and Randall and Hopkirk on Bluray I would have bet a tenner that Scarlet would have been out September/October, specially as they already had HD versions of several episodes done for the Supermarionation boxset.

I'm still hoping that Network and / or ITV spring a last minute surprise on us.
With Network releasing yet another version of The Prisoner on Bluray in September its quite annoying that Scarlet remains unreleased which makes it look even less likely that Joe 90 will be here for his 50th next year.

Agreed they have missed a golden opportunity but then they did the same with Thunderbirds but that I can sort of understand due to the new series currently airing.

Agreed they have missed a golden opportunity but then they did the same with Thunderbirds but that I can sort of understand due to the new series currently airing.
The difference with Thunderbirds is that a Bluray was available and remains so although it was from ITV themselves and not Nertwork.
Even though its cropped to 16:9 I wonder if Network question the viability of releasing it again. Hardcore fans who want it in 4:3 have the US and German sets to choose from

Well they went and did an OAR release of The World at War while the 16:9 version was still available.

Apparently the original broadcast credits have been changed to what the makers originally intended and despite being listed on the Network site the 5.1 sound from the dvd is not included either. One for the sales

Didn't even the original series DVD have a 5.1 soundtrack?

Bri

Bri

Likely one of their remasters with new effects like the Thunderbirds DVDs and UK BD sets featured.

Bri
Yes - it did. There's a featurette tour on the Bluray which ends with one of the makers explaining how the series was "finished off with cinema standard 5.1 sound".

Yes - it did. There's a featurette tour on the Bluray which ends with one of the makers explaining how the series was "finished off with cinema standard 5.1 sound".

I am sure there is a reason for not including the 5.1 featured on the DVDs, would hate to think it's simple incompetence on their part.

The difference with Thunderbirds is that a Bluray was available and remains so although it was from ITV themselves and not Nertwork.
Even though its cropped to 16:9 I wonder if Network question the viability of releasing it again. Hardcore fans who want it in 4:3 have the US and German sets to choose from

I must admit the few bits of the Anderson shows that I have in 4/3 HD are probably enough for me. A complete Scarlet or Thunderbirds series might well make me think again though.

Bri

I am sure there is a reason for not including the 5.1 featured on the DVDs, would hate to think it's simple incompetence on their part.
As it was originally listed on the Network specs and has only just been removed I think incompetence might well explain it.
It might be something as simple as the new credits not being the same length so the existing soundtrack wouldn't fit so they dumped it.

I must admit the few bits of the Anderson shows that I have in 4/3 HD are probably enough for me. A complete Scarlet or Thunderbirds series might well make me think again though.

Bri
The episodes on the Supermarionation sets are a lovely sampler ( and at 50hz too) but although I doubt I would buy a complete Bluray set of Supercar I was hoping that Scarlet and Joe would appear. I have the US set of Thunderbirds which includes the original mono. I believe that both tracks on the UK 16:9 set are derived from the remixes which add sound effects that should not be there

Anderson on Bluray seems to be suffering from a bout of Lucasitis.

Thunderbirds cropped and the wrong soundmix.
Space 1999 Year Two has been edited to remove a couple of bloopers that have been there since 1976.
UFO has had some revisionism intended to correct what looked like a continuity error but was infact a technical limitation of the time which has resulted in becoming a blooper itself.
And New Captain Scarlet with opening titles never present on the broadcasts.

Can nobody leave anything as it was made?

The episodes on the Supermarionation sets are a lovely sampler ( and at 50hz too) but although I doubt I would buy a complete Bluray set of Supercar I was hoping that Scarlet and Joe would appear. I have the US set of Thunderbirds which includes the original mono. I believe that both tracks on the UK 16:9 set are derived from the remixes which add sound effects that should not be there

I loved Supercar as a kid but if I were to go for an early Anderson series in HD it would be Fireball XL5. I loved that even more.

Bri

For some reason the one and only ITC Anderson show I don't have on dvd is Fireball. I think it could be because I knew I would never sit and watch it. I got the Supercar set for the documementary. By the time I got round to buying Fireball for its own documentary they had released the single colour episode on Bluray and included the documentary with that and I bought it and I never got round to the dvd's

For some reason the one and only ITC Anderson show I don't have on dvd is Fireball. I think it could be because I knew I would never sit and watch it. I got the Supercar set for the documementary. By the time I got round to buying Fireball for its own documentary they had released the single colour episode on Bluray and included the documentary with that and I bought it and I never got round to the dvd's

Did you ever see Space Patrol? It was around the same time and better but doesn't seem to be as well remembered.

Bri

As it was originally listed on the Network specs and has only just been removed I think incompetence might well explain it.
It might be something as simple as the new credits not being the same length so the existing soundtrack wouldn't fit so they dumped it.

That would make sense, similar things have happened on movie releases where the UK release got downgraded audio due to local changes.

If what they are saying over on Roobarb is correct then it might not be Network to blame for the changes and lack of 5.1 as they just used what they were provided with so could have been this or nothing.

This reminds me of the BD release of Wonders of the Universe which was broadcast in 5.1 but the BD ended up having only lossy stereo so I fired off an email to 2Entertain querying this and they said that is what the BBC provided them with so the BD had worse audio than broadcast but then a year later they came out with a Limited Edition boxset and low and behold it had DTS-HD MA 5.1

Anderson on Bluray seems to be suffering from a bout of Lucasitis.

Thunderbirds cropped and the wrong soundmix.
Space 1999 Year Two has been edited to remove a couple of bloopers that have been there since 1976.
UFO has had some revisionism intended to correct what looked like a continuity error but was infact a technical limitation of the time which has resulted in becoming a blooper itself.
And New Captain Scarlet with opening titles never present on the broadcasts.

Can nobody leave anything as it was made?
What happened with Space 1999 and UFO?

Did you ever see Space Patrol? It was around the same time and better but doesn't seem to be as well remembered.

Bri
I never saw Space Patrol on tv but I did pick up the dvd's mainly for the extras. Not having the nostalgia factor for me I found the episodes far too primitive for more than a few minutes viewing. There is a Space Patrol Bluray out there with the only episodes for which the 35mm copies still exist but I missed it when it came out and it now goes for prices way beyond what I would be willing to pay.

What happened with Space 1999 and UFO?

Space 1999 Year Two had 2 bloopers. One in New Adam New Eve where an object appears out of nowhere but a hand can be seen passing it to a character and the hand could be seen just going out of shot. Another in A Matter of Balance was a clapperboard in shot very briefly. How the clapperboard got past the original editor I do not know as even on VHS you could see something onscreen that shouldn't be. Both errors have been present since 1976 on broadcasts , vhs and dvd. They were both digitally removed.

In UFO there's one episode ( IIRC The Responsibility Seat) where green/blue screen imaging messes about with the colours on the edges of spacesuits. Closer shots in studio are one colour but longer shots where the processing comes in adjusts the colour slightly - par for the course with those types of shots. Either Network thought it a continuity error or they thought they would correct it because they could but they made an adjustment so that in all the shots there were not differences to the colours but they neglected to spot that small lights and other indicators on a computer console in the background had its colour unintentionally changed too.
To a lesser extent you could comment on the day for night grading. The Japanese and German Blurays did nothing with the day for night shots and on occasion what should have been night is obviously day. Network intended to correct these but their decisions mean the shots still aren't as dark as they were on the dvd's or broadcasts. Difficult judgement to make I guess

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom