1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Captain Scarlet 12th Feb ITV1

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sick Note, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just a heads up about the new series.
    Starting Sat 12th Feb at 9.30am on ITV1 :clap:

Just read on Digital Spy that if this is a success Gerry will make
    a CGI Thunderbirds series. Lets hope so, so we can forget that
    rancid turd of a film

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I liked the trailer but lets face it it's a kids show but what the hell:)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Crap they will cut it to ribbons showing in a children’s show i.e. with silly stupid DOG's talk over’s and cut credits. It would be better shown in the evening round 17.00.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

oh well lets hope for a swift DVD release.

Gary

5. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Apparently Garrett there will also be midweek repeats, so maybe there will be 2 versions.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Definitely good news, but as others have said - an appalling time-slot for what is likely to be one of the least appropriate kids-shows ever! Captain Scarlet is not a kids show, and wasn't ever meant to be a kids show! Just look at the opening credits on the original puppet show (Scarlet being shot multiple times, Captain Black walking through a graveyard, the Mysteron logo crawling over the bodies of the Angels, etc, etc.)

Blood ITV! :mad: Let's hope they show it uncut, in a later time-slot!

Pooch

7. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well let's be realistic, it IS a kids show and this one will be firmly aimed at them.

I think the original was by far and away the best Supermarionation series as although it was a kids show it didn't patronise them.
    It will be interesting to see how in Blair's Noughties, they will deal with that un-PC subject of -death-.
    Every episode involved some innocent person being killed, sometimes in a fairly gruesome manner, in order to be replaced by the Mysterons.

I can't recall any recent kids TV programme allowing death to be shown, either to baddies or bystanders.

IMO UFO was Gerry's zenith and quite ahead of its time.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I think when the original series went out it was on after 5 when parents were home. It is the most adult of all the Supermarionation series Gerry made.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    All the pics and stuff on the website really whetted my appetite, then I watched the trailer...

Stinkeroo! :rolleyes:

10. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    anybody know what the real mysterons looked like. when i was a kid i thought it was the white circles in the start with the spooky "THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS...,"

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hmm...

The "real" Mysterons. Will they be different from the fictitous ones then? ;)

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    The were never shown just their city.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

As Garrett said, the Mysterons were never shown, just heard. In fact, Anderson deliberately never created puppets, to create a deliberate air of tension throughout the show, as well as to signify that the Mysterons were "a force to be reckoned with, who were pure evil, and the epitome of your worst nightmares"! :eek:

As for a second showing of "New Captain Scarlet", nothing is appearing yet in DigiGuide, so things don't look hopeful yet. As it's appearing as part of ITV1's kids Saturday morning show "Ministry Of Mayhem" (Or MOM as it's now called), you can guarantee that it's going to be utterly ruined by on-screen junk, inane ramblings from the presenters, and other guff!

I can't believe Gerry Anderson would allow this! However, according to TV Tome:

"With the first 13 episodes now completely produced and ready for transmission, the remaining half of the commissioned 26-episode series is still being filmed and edited together, and will not be fully prepared in-time. Instead, the terrestrial network has decided to air those first 13 episodes as the show's 1st season, and broadcast the subsequent episodes, which won't be wrapped up until July, as a 2nd season, in the Autumn; the original proposed debut time for the series, that was announced sometime ago. It's thought that the 2nd season will begin sometime in October, to coincide with the complete DVD release of the new Hypermarionation series.

Along with the first part of the show‘s opening 2-parter pilot, entitled "Instrument of Destruction", the "Ministry of Mayhem" production team will be airing an exclusive behind-the-scenes featurette, revealing Gerry Anderson's very own animation studios, Anderson Entertainment, at Pinewood Studios, which was shot last week.

Gerry Anderson has said to have been very surprised and excited about this unexpected revelation, due to the assigned time-slot being prime-time, allowing the show to make the utmost impression and the largest impact on the primarily young children audiences that wake up and tune in to watch hyperactive presenters Holly Willoughby and Stephen Mulhern entertain them immensely, with other external programmes and in-studio pranks and jokes with the rest of the "MOM" cast, every Saturday morning, after a long week's education at their local schools.

Two more first-run transmission dates have also been announced for the concluding second part of the series opening "Instrument of Destruction" story, as well as Episode #3, "The Homecoming". Those episodes will be shown, consecutively, after February 12th, every Saturday, at 9:30 a.m., on ITV1.

The following is the episode titles for the 1st Season of the "New Captain Scarlet" CGI television series:

#1-01: "Instrument Of Destruction - Part 1"
    #1-02: "Instrument Of Destruction - Part 2"
    #1-03: "The Homecoming"
    #1-04: "Rain Of Terror"
    #1-05: "Mercury Falling"
    #1-06: "Swarm"
    #1-07: "Chiller"
    #1-08: "Rat Trap"
    #1-09: "Circles Of Doom"
    #1-10: "Trap For A Rhino"
    #1-11: "The Achilles Messenger"
    #1-12: "Skin Deep"
    #1-13: "Heist"

Anderson Entertainment, is said to be in negotiating talks, with ITV, to air encore presentations of the very first transmissions of the Saturday morning episodes, 9 hours later on the same day, at 6:30 p.m., with the intention that older viewers, whom have been fans of the original puppetry Supermarionation series from the 1960s, will see the episodes, along with potential teatime audiences across the country. Talks are also in the works to have the Saturday episodes repeated yet again on a weekday, at 4:30p.m., as part of the "CiTV" late-afternoon and evening children's line-up, that has been with ITV for over a decade."

Lastly, a repeat run of the original "Captain Scarlet" starts on Monday 14th February, with episodes 16 through to 27, on SKy Mix, at aopproximately 11:50am each day, two episodes per day!

Pooch

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I do not know about that, they originally were stretching out a hand of friendship which the earth crew mistook and thought was a preparation for them to be fired upon and so attacked the Mysterons first. The Mysterons regenerated there destroyed city and took retribution.

Although a supposable advanced civilization you would think they would eventually realize that it was a a terrible mistake and stop there war of revenge which is also uncivilized. But then human and the Mysterons psyche may not be the same.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I have seen as advert for the program and it said it was on at 10.25 on Saturday.

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    so is there going to be a repeat showing, i couldn't find anything in the radio times.

Gary

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    GaryD,

At the minute, no weekly repeat of any kind has been scheduled or agreed with Anderson and the iTV schedulers.

As such, it looks like either watching the nicely DOG'd kiddy version on Saturday mornings, or waiting for a repeat showing at a later date and/or the DVD release of the entire First Series in the Autumn (October 2005 - Region 2)!

Pooch

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Cheers Pooch, i'll wait for the DVD, i hate watching tv on tv anyway without watching kids TV (i remember what they did to Batman: the animated one) you'll get ten mins then they will stop it and tell you we'll find out what happenned later on.

i'll pass i think.

Gary

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Or happy birthday scrolling along the bottom of the screen, or once saw something splatting the (theirs) screen with green.

20. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hmmm. Not too sure about that first (half) episode.

Why the hell did they see the need to replace the iconic opening sequence with that bland muzak?
    The original had the most atmospheric titles of all the Century 21 productions.

Where were the rest of the Angels?

I like the fact that CGI allows a bit of hand-to-hand combat and showed a lot of the innards of Skybase (nee Cloudbase) although the road vehicles still move in a very "CG" way, i.e. with no visible mass.

Overall quite good so far, but I doubt I can be bothered to video two hours of unbelievably crap kids tv just to watch a split into two parts episode.

Will probably wait for the dvds!

21. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hmm, not bad actually. Gerry clearly showing that it's possible be make a "kids" show with no annoying brats and without insulting their intelligence.

The CG wasn't perfect, but is probably the new benchmark for TV grade animation. Highpoints of the CG for me were the Angel's fighter aircraft,the spacecraft and Skybase. The faces aren't bad either.

Good to see Gerry Anderson back at the top of his game again, doing something cool for the latest generation (and with trademark gadgets aplently - love the garage for Scarlets car!). Now all we need is the same treatment for Thunderbirds and my nostalgia trip will be complete.

Btw, MOM are handling it pretty well (except for the standard break into 2 halves). They're fully aware that they've got a world premiere, and seem to be giving it the appropriate gravitas.

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I a shame the did not show the end credits to let us know who the voices were. One thing I know it was not Francis Mathews or Ed Bishop who did the original so well and a couple of great guys, I was told they were too old now , I wonder how much there voices have changed?

Tip start looking for this years big Christmas presents.

23. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    My thoughts.

I enjoyed it. Like the CG style. Thought the hand to hand fight was food. Will watch again.

Hated the split in to two part during MOM. Hated the lack of credits. Basicly ITV showed contempt for the product in the way they handled it's broad cast.

I'm sure a decent DVD release will turn up.

24. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    i've taped it, but just wondering if it was shown in widescreen?

25. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I saw the second half and was very impressed, thought it was a good way to bring it in to the 21st century in a kinda Final Fantasy way. (No strings attached) :laugh:

Damo :)

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Yes it was, I hope you left the timer on long enough it said the CS was on 10.30 -11.00 it was more like 11.10 when it finished. Be prepared it is a continuing story.

27. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    yes, i left it running the entire programme length. Good news about widescreen, but a shame its not repeated later in the week.

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, like other people on here, I thought I'd post my comments on the first (half) episode.

Bad points first:
    - The opening music, is really twee. It comes nowhere near the classic 1967 original, and this new CGI version really needed a good theme to set the tone of the show.
    - Some of the CGI is suspect. Scarlet's mouth still doesn't always seem to move correctly when he talks, yet some of the other characters were really life-like. The classic red car that Scarlet used also didn't move correctly in some scenes.
    - The cameo of the Yokel Farmer, was really badly animated.
    - ITV showing this at 10:30 on a Saturday morning; splitting the show into two, tiny halves of about 11 minutes each; cutting the end-credits completely, and also adding a re-cap just prior to the second-half of this episode, was all very, very wrong! ITV need all the viewers they can get, and this treatment of a World Premiere of a new show, is just the worst way to treat it. Let's hope a speedy, prime-time repeat gets scheduled soon, for the whole series!

Plus points:
    - On the whole, the CGI was good.
    - Good to see a relatively mature script, that is gritty enough for both adults and children to enjoy, without sacrificing one over the other.
    - The blink-and-you'll-miss-'em jokes that appear. (For those who don't know what I mean, take another look at the second half of the first episode. During the relevant scene, a man is kidnapped and the car is crushed in a crushing compound. Pause your video/DVD recording on the crushing compounds entrance, and you'll see a clever sign on the gate!) I won't ruin it, but for those who missed it, I'll post it at a later date, or PM me if you want to know it. Very "Simpsons" in style! Nice one, Mr Anderson! Definitely a :thumbsup: for that!
    - Good to hear characters speak and act like live-action films might show them to, e.g. the use of mild bad language in a childrens animation (damn, hell, etc - which US TV executives won't be so keen on), and proper fighting techniques (including strikes to peoples' backs, legs, etc). Gerry Anderson obviously isn't willing to tone down the darker side of the show, just to make a nice, little kiddy animation show!
    - The possibilities by making some of the characters very ambiguous, is a bonus! When the good guys aren't always good, and the bad guys aren't always seen to be evil, this definitely makes for a great maturity in a show!
    - The show was in widescreen too!

On the whole it was good! The positives outweigh the negatives, and most of the negatives were relatively minor, and/or not the fault of the show itself. I will be waiting for the rest of the series, but I do hope ITV don't make-us endure the whole series stuck in the middle of Saturday morning kids TV, because this show could really be a good family show, and is worth peak-time. Especially when the best that ITV normally offers us on Saturday evenings is bloody endless repeats of the best of the worst of the absolutely terrible bits of "You've Been Framed"! :nono: If not, it will be an essential DVD purchase for me, later in the year!

I wonder if Gerry Anderson has given the show a DD 5.1 soundtrack?

Pooch

29. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I recorded it while the children watched Dick & Dom

stepped through to CS in about 10 seconds - split in two was painful

Please PM the joke I missed it and have already deleted Mom

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i missed it so i was really really :mad: then i read thecommens on here and i'm :) that i did! I knew ITV would :censored: it up!

cant wait for the DVD!!!

Gary