1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Canton CD101's - worth upgrading my Sherwood amp or waiting for the HDMI stuff?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Syphon, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I've currently got a Sherwood RD 6106R Amp which I've had for years.

I'm about to order some Canton CD101's to replace my asda special Schneider surround speakers.

I was thinking about getting the Denon AVR-1906 which I've seen for £269 however do you think I would be better waiting unti HDMI is more common and intergrated in amps at this price - I also heard of some new Hi def audio standard? Worth waiting?

Cheers.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    If I were you I would wait until you've got your Cantons and then decide if you think they need a better amp. As a former Sherwood owner I would expect that the Denon will sound better but your speaker upgrade will keep you happy for a while while we wait for connections to standardise and HDTV to become available.

3. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ta. So do you think I will notice quite a big difference with the speakers? I'm not sure how much is down to the speakers and how much is down the the amp. Obviously you can't have one without the other, but I've nothing to compare it to.

What was your setup with your sherwood? and did you upgrade your speakers first?

Cheers.