New Canon wide-angle lenses incoming

loz

The 16-35 F4 they announced is also a complete rip off at UK pricing - presumably a consequence of bad timing when they fixed the price against currency rates that have been steadily increasing in Sterling's favour.

The 16-35mm has a launch price of £1199 - over $2000.
But is only $1199 in the US.

Meanwhile in Sweden it is only the equivalent of $1500 (10500kr)

They can make all kinds of excuses as to why it costs more in the UK - some valid - but I note that the white SL1/100D also launched today in the US costs $749, but only £499 in the UK. So a simple pounds for dollars conversion hasn't been applied there.

WeaponX

I'm also very interested in the 10-18mm, but I agree $300 equaling £300 isn't right. Look forward to seeing reviews on it.

StewartR

Novice Member
The 16-35 F4 they announced is also a complete rip off at UK pricing - presumably a consequence of bad timing when they fixed the price against currency rates that have been steadily increasing in Sterling's favour.

The 16-35mm has a launch price of £1199 - over $2000.
But is only $1199 in the US.

They can make all kinds of excuses as to why it costs more in the UK - some valid ....
The basic excuse seems to be that they can get away with it in the UK, because there seem to be people who must have it now at any price. Apparently the markets in other countries don't work like that. I don't know why.

Canon are playing their usual game of launching in the UK and the USA at the same numerical price: £1199 here and $1199 there. (The UK price includes VAT and the US price doesn't include sales tax, but still.) Experience suggests that the US price will be sticky whereas the UK price will fall once the must-have-it-now-at-any-price brigade have filled their boots. The US price equates to £715, so I'd expect the UK price to eventually settle on £715+VAT=£858 or thereabouts.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom