New Canon Camera & new EF-M mount

Wow.....that's fugly :(

Is it just me who's a bit disappointed with the styling although the handling of it (assuming this is genuine) remains to be seen.

I'm holding out on the option of a mirrorless body to use alongside my 40D and share some lenses (which I can't do 100% with my NEX at the moment) but my initial thought is...hmmm

Steve

Too early to tell from that picture. No EVF going by that and I bet its expensive....... :(

Will it be able to use the EF-S lenses and EF that my 40D uses? Be very tempted by a small body but not wanting to be buying more lenses.

OMG what have Canon done :eek:

I have been waiting for the details on this camera (officially due on Monday) and was hoping for something like the Olympus OMD-M5 or at worst, close to the new Panasonic G5 or older GH2 in terms of handling and EVF !!

It looks like Canon have gone down the uninspiring Nikon J1/V1 route as opposed to aspriring to Olympus or Panasonic

I hope its specs are better than its looks.

Last edited:
Will it be able to use the EF-S lenses and EF that my 40D uses? Be very tempted by a small body but not wanting to be buying more lenses.

The rumour (to be confirmed at Monday's press release) is that Canon will produce an adaptor for Canon SLR lenses

If they do i will most likely sell my 40D and get one of these, if not, i plan on selling the lot and looking at systems like the NEX 7.

If they do bring out an adaptor for the DSLR lenses, this body design will be terrible. Can you imagine mounting a Canon DSLR lens on that body, there is no where to securely hold onto the camera to counterbalance the lens weight.

They should have looked at the Panasonic G series design where at least there is a decent size side grip.

Further rumours are that it has an APS-C sensor and this is the budget version of teh new Mirrorless range, with a premium version coming out towards the end of the year.

I am still interested as I would like to leverage my investment in Canon equipment but also thinking of selling up and moving to m4/3.

I will wait and see Monday.

Last edited:
Well that's the biggest anticlimax since Prometheus.

Meh...

I suppose it's discreet in a homely sort of way...

Well that's the biggest anticlimax since Prometheus.

Meh...

You didn't see Avatar then ;-)

It looks like a G series to me. Not a bad thing IMO. Im glad they didnt do it in one of those stupid "retro" looks.
Just hope it will take standard EF lenses.

Im glad they didnt do it in one of those stupid "retro" looks.

Hey I like my retro looking X100. People come up to me and say 'Hey cool camera!' Often wrongly assuming it's a film camera.

Should be fairly comparable to this as well as they've both got an APS-C sensor and a 35mm equiv F2 lens.

My Fuji has all dials and buttons and stuff, I don't know what they do, but nicer than featureless black pastic and I assume some sort of touch interface menu...

Ah, no offence meant, i dont mind some retro but dont like all those sharp edges and corners some of them have.
I do like the minimalist look although not button less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob_J said:
If they do i will most likely sell my 40D and get one of these, if not, i plan on selling the lot and looking at systems like the NEX 7.

Hi Rob,
It should have a smaller mount for smaller lenses to compete with m4/3 but the rumour is that Canon will be releasing an adaptor for EOS lenses. TBH, if they don't, they will be shooting themselves in the foot but you never know. We should find out on Monday.

"'Orrible" - makes the Pentax look quite cute and cuddly ;)

Kudos to Canon for sticking with their 'if it aint broke and we're only lagging a bit behind the competition then don't bother doing more than the bare minimum' approach

Specs!
Full Canon EOS-M specs leaked! | Mirrorless Rumors
yawn....

Pros:
It's got a groove on the back to rest your thumb on

Cons:
Sensor lagging behind most of competition
No EVF
No OLED or white LED tech for viewing screen in bright light.
No grip
No image stabilisation
No focus peaking
No weathersealing
No tilt/swivel screen

It'd better be cheap and the adapter better be cheap as well

LOL -Nice one Jammy - it actually sounds like they've had it in the bottom of drawer for a year and forgot about it....

JIm

..and its ugly as well. Not sure about bottom of the drawer more like waste bin....

Looks like a winner..... :facepalm::suicide:

To be fair, it appears that the sensor is from the brand new 650D so I'm not sure what it's lagging behind?

The lower spec Nikon and Sony equivalents don't have a built in EVF either so there's a 'Pro' option and probably an accessory EVF.

I agree about the ergonomics although a lot of people say the same about the NEX and I'm quite used to mine.

No canon bodies have IS built in so it's not surprising that this doesn't

None of the current consumer cameras are weather sealed so I'm not surprised canon have left that out.

The tilt screen is an odd omission but again, potentially held back for the more expensive model.

All in, I still think it looks like a Powershot with an EF mount but I'll give it chance until anyone actually confirms or uses it!

With regards to not being particularly ground breaking, as a photographer I'm not exactly sure what's actually 'missing' with the current options. At the end of the day, it's a sensor with a lens bolted in front of it. Some perform better in parts than other bodies but they'll all still potentially take great or equally terrible photos!

Cheers
Steve

I don't need a camera to have the things I listed, they're all nice to haves. I suppose my point was more it has none of those things. Nothing, no x factor. The Sony sensor in the 5N and a few other cameras is better. The NEX has much more of a grip than this and more controls.

I was really hoping this was going to be good as I own a 50D and a few lenses, but I can't imagine mounting them on this. If Canon were serious about the mirrorless sector they should have come out with something at least a little eyecatching like Olympus did with the PEN.

Fair point although I'd have to ask how you know the 5N sensor is better than this one? I really like my NEX and shot my last wedding with one alongside my 40Ds but I'd say that if a Canon offering was equal to it I'd be tempted to swap just so I could share my lighter canon lenses (specifically my 85/1.8). I very rarely use my Sony 18-55 on the NEX as I primarily use OM Zuiko glass but I'm keen to try the Canon still.

Also, I've never really got the appeal of the M4/3 Pens and always found them really plasticky compared to the GF1 I had and NEX5 I have now. Again, I'm not sure how any manufacturer can be truly groundbreaking any more when you can pretty much pick up any body from any manufacturer and take the same (near enough) average shot. Obviously, there are faster focussing and better high-ISO performance but it's still just a camera. Some of the most popular bodies/combinations on this forum have their flaws. For example. I've used my cousin's X100 and found it the most frustrating experience I've had for a while due to the lethargic AF performance but he loves it, as do a lot of people so each to their own I guess.

Cheers
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom