• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Canon 550D for £463.00

EVOLUTION001

Established Member
Just for anyone thats interested, Dixons are selling the 550d for £569.60 at the moment but with various discounts and cashback from Canon you will only pay £463.00. It's a fabulous bargain for those that are currently trying to decide on an entry level dslr and it brings the price down closer to the Nikon D3100 so makes it alot more appealing.
P.s. I have no affiliation with dixons or any other websites, just spreading the love as it were.

I forgot to mention that this is with the standard kit lens. : )

Not sure if i can post the details on how to get this price. Mods could you please confirm if it's okay?

Last edited:

EVOLUTION001

Established Member
Thank you, all perfectly legal I assure you.

Go through Topcashback as they are currently offering 6.06% cash back on purchases with Dixons. Please note this is on the price excluding VAT. Follow their link to Dixons website and add the 550d to you basket. Apply the following discount code NXJDIX50 for £50 off at checkout. You pay £519 but with TCB earnings it will eventually cost you £493. Canon are also currently offering £30 cash back for any EOS purchase up until June I believe, therefore giving you a final price of £463.:thumbsup:

Hope this still works, the code can be used for any transaction above £500.

Last edited:

EVOLUTION001

Established Member
Update: Received my 550d this afternoon.:D

Just curious if anyone else actually took advantage of this deal and have received theirs?

jenam93

Prominent Member
Update: Received my 550d this afternoon.:D

Just curious if anyone else actually took advantage of this deal and have received theirs?

I tried but it was out of stock. Then the 6.06% TCB ended, then the stock came back but the code didn't work any more.

Currently cheapest on Amazon at about £560 but this they're out of stock for 1-3 months.

Pixmania next cheapest but had a bad experience with them previously and after that most places have it at about £600 :rolleyes:

Gutted I missed it TBH, and all due to a trip to the In-Laws!!! :mad:

D

Deleted member 27989

Currys still do a 9% off when you spend more than 499 via quidco ;-) or various variations depending on how much you want to spend.

jenam93

Prominent Member
Currys is ~£600 and out of stock for the kit lens and 550d. Somehow they have the body only for £10 less at £590 but you can get body only for £500 on Amazon.

EVOLUTION001

Established Member
I tried but it was out of stock. Then the 6.06% TCB ended, then the stock came back but the code didn't work any more.

Currently cheapest on Amazon at about £560 but this they're out of stock for 1-3 months.

Pixmania next cheapest but had a bad experience with them previously and after that most places have it at about £600 :rolleyes:

Gutted I missed it TBH, and all due to a trip to the In-Laws!!! :mad:

Hopefully if I hear of any future deals then I'll post on this forum.
My initial choice was to go for the Nikon D90 but the price compared to what I ended up paying for the canon swung it in it's favour

jenam93

Prominent Member
Get a Nikon :p Or if you are feeling adventurous a Sony

I borrowed a mates D90 and liked it a lot but it was too big and heavy for the Mrs. That rules out the A580 for the same reasons.

The smaller/more budget Nikons/Canons I ruled out mainly due to much lower screen resolutions.

I like the A55 but am unconvinced on the new tech at present.

In my mind that leaves me the Canon 550D (an extra £100 for mainly the articulated screen on the 600D is a bit much in my eyes) or the Pentax K-r. Both feel good in the hands.

When looking into the lenses I am likely to buy, 18-55 kit lens, 35 or 50mm cheap lens and 55-250 or 300 both systems work out roughly the same so just looking about for some really good deals before taking the plunge, mainly as I have just forked out for car insurance, house insurance and my car needs a service :rolleyes:

shotokan101

Banned
Neither the Canon nor the Pentax are particularly small either though - have you considered the M4-3 Panasonics ?

Jim

jenam93

Prominent Member
Neither the Canon nor the Pentax are particularly small either though - have you considered the M4-3 Panasonics ?

Jim

To be honest, it was more the weight of the D90 that was an issue and it's over 100g heavier than the others I am looking at.

Size was acceptable, just. With the A580 being larger than the D90 it got ruled out quick.

Not really interested in the M4-3 systems, feel I really want to go SLR this time.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom