New Canon 400D

Chunder

Novice Member
From what I've seen so far, it's only been announced on the Canon China site.

Camera has a built-in dust removal function (presumably similar to the Sony Alpha), and sounds like a step closer to the 5D in terms of functions and capabilities (apart from not being FF of course).

Two new lenses - the 50mm f/1.2L USM, and the 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM
Not too sure whether the latter is really worthwhile (the 70-200 f/2.8 would surely be better?) but the 50mm sounds tasty... although will probably be quite expensive!

@ush flynn: No reason why they won't ship with the existing kit lens; it's still an EF-S capable camera, and it's a way of getting people to buy the camera and have a flexible lens to use out-of-the-box.

barongreenback

Novice Member
Grrrrrrrrrrr, one annoyed 30D owner here if that's true.

Like the idea of a cheaper 70-200 IS zoom though.

Ray

Novice Member
Chunder said:
Two new lenses - the 50mm f/1.2L USM, and the 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM
Not too sure whether the latter is really worthwhile (the 70-200 f/2.8 would surely be better?)
There's around a £800 difference between the f4 and the f2.8 IS which many of us can't afford. The f4 with IS for around £650ish would be a good option.

Ray

Chunder

Novice Member
@Rayfin: Agreed - if comparing the f/4 IS and the f/2.8 IS (as you say, the price difference will likely be substantial), but given the choice between an f/4 IS or an f/2.8 non-IS, I still think that the latter would be much more value for money.

Everything I've read, and from a couple of photog's I've spoken to, the IS doesn't work well in low-light, slows down the autofocus, and doesn't really work too well with moving subjects.

For a candid telephoto shot of someone (or something) stationary in bright light, then the IS does help... but in my opinion, the extra aperture would be more useful.

Just my 2p, though :)

RobDickinson

I think the 70-200 f2.8 non IS is /has been phased out:( Otherwise it makes more sense.

The 70-200f4 is 710g, IS adds about 250g, so thats 950g or so, the f2.8 non IS is 1300g so the f4 will still be lighter. IS should add 3 fstops under some situations.

ush flynn

Novice Member
but thats not the existing kit lens... your confusing me! it probably will come with the same 18-55, but that 17-85 usm was an additional £250 odd i believe if you were to get it at the same time as a body

Thatsnotmynaim

Anyone know if the physical size of it has changed much from the 350d? I'm presuming not and that it will be more like 350d size rather than 20d/30d size?

Radiohead

Same size I believe - has it dropped the second LCD in favour of viewing info on the LCD? How's that going to work in bright sunlight?

onefivenine

Novice Member
Radiohead said:
Same size I believe - has it dropped the second LCD in favour of viewing info on the LCD? How's that going to work in bright sunlight?
That sounds like a really fundamental design flaw. :suicide:

T0MAT01

Novice Member
ush flynn said:
but thats not the existing kit lens... your confusing me! it probably will come with the same 18-55, but that 17-85 usm was an additional £250 odd i believe if you were to get it at the same time as a body
Here is a pic of it with the 18-55 EFS kit lens.

So I expect it will be shipped with either of them.

Messiah

sjameson said:
Anyone know if the physical size of it has changed much from the 350d? I'm presuming not and that it will be more like 350d size rather than 20d/30d size?
400D physical specs are

126.5mm x 94.2mm x 65.0mm
510g

350D specs are

127mm x 94mm x 64.0mm
540g (inc battery)

So to all intents and purposes, no noticeable change in size.

steve.o

Novice Member
Messiah said:
400D physical specs are

126.5mm x 94.2mm x 65.0mm
510g

350D specs are

127mm x 94mm x 64.0mm
540g (inc battery)

So to all intents and purposes, no noticeable change in size.
It also uses the same battery grip: BG-E3

...steve.o

HMHB

Distinguished Member
There doesn't seem much change from the 350D to me apart from the extra megapixels which probably won't make that much difference. I was expecting something a bit more ground breaking than this to be honest.

Messiah

JohnG said:
There doesn't seem much change from the 350D to me apart from the extra megapixels which probably won't make that much difference. I was expecting something a bit more ground breaking than this to be honest.
Wow. I thought the

extra resolution
spot metering
larger LCD
dust prevention features
and a host of other things

made for a pretty decent upgrade myself. After all, looks like it will be around the same price as well and guess they did not want to eat in to the higher range cameras too much either.

Radiohead

The resolution is marginal at best. It doesn't have spot-metering. Dust removal is welcome and will be standard within 18 months across the board. LCD nice but not hugely important and on such a small body makes for a cramped back.

I still think the 0.80x viewfinder, lack of ISO in viewfinder and loss of the LCD panel are a mistake.

barongreenback

Novice Member
Sorry, but what on earth are some of you expecting from an entry level camera? All in all, it makes for a decent upgrade. Puts it firmly in line with the A100, the K100 and ahead of the D50. This isn't a semi pro camera, it's an entry level DSLR. I'm struggling to think what else Canon would do in that pricepoint?

RobDickinson

what price point, its almost twice what the d50 is selling for, thats too much.

They should have a 200D with 6-8mp,no cleaning, 7point af etc, cheap as chips, the 400D, 40D (10mp 11/13point af, sensor cleaning, 5fps), 5D etc.

steve.o

Novice Member
RobDickinson said:
They should have a 200D with 6-8mp,no cleaning, 7point af etc, cheap as chips
That sounds like a 350D to me, whats to say they dont keep selling it? Its already been reduced by 50 quid this week. Id put money on it being under 400 by xmas

...steve.o