• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Camera or New Lens?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Looking for some advice please

a) Upgrade camera to a D300
b) Buy the new Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 lens for my existing D80
c) Do neither

I've thrown in option (c) as it would be hard financially to justify getting the new camera and lens at the same time.

I've no experience of pro quality glass on a camera so I'd be interested in whether anyone would pick glass over camera or camera over glass in this scenario.

Also gather the 14-24mm lens can't take a filter due to the hood being a permanent fixture so advice on ways to get around this problem would also be greatly appreciated.

Although this may look a dedicated Nikon thread, I'm interested in all camera owners opinions to get as much advice as possible :thumbsup:

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
How long have you had the D80 and what do you think replacing it with the D300 will gain you?

What lenses do you have at the moment and what do you mainly shoot?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
How long have you had the D80 and what do you think replacing it with the D300 will gain you?

What lenses do you have at the moment and what do you mainly shoot?

Had the D80 since January (2007), the obvious areas I feel I would gain in having the D300 would be in more megapixels, better at higher ISO and Live View may be of use. I've discounted a lot of the other lens ranges as I'm purely interested in landscape photography, got a sigma 10-20 currently which I like but do get the impression this 14-24mm Nikkor is in a different league but it should be at about 4 times the cost I guess.

Radiohead

I'm actually not that keen on UWA for a lot of landscape shots, and that a 17-18mm on DX is often sufficient for this. The 14-24 is supposed to be a superb lens, but it's aimed squarely at press, sports and PJ's IMO, and it's hard to see why you'd want to invest that sort of money in an f2.8 zoom when you won't be shooting landscapes with that sort of aperture. The fact that it doesn't take filters should tell you it's not aimed at landscapers, and the 17-35/2.8 is more often used for that, or the 12-24/4 DX lens.

The Mekon

To be honest a lens may be a better bet. A faster lens will give you more options in landscape photography. You'll obviously get better low light ability without having to push for a faster ISO.

The greater resolution of the D300 will not give you significnatly better pictures. Neither will the faster frame rate unless you take sports/action photographs. I'm not convinced anything in a D300 will give you anything you need that isn't in a D80 at this point. However others may not better.

ryart

Probably favour glass over camera but only if the existing camera could make use of the increased (hopefully) resolution. Glass can also be a better long term investment as developments in lenses are much slower than in bodies.

Interested in Radioheads opinions on using UWA for landscape. I personally use the 10 mm end of my 10-22 Canon lens a lot for landscapes, very much down to individual styles - no rights and wrongs.

During my, thankfully brief, time working for a freelance news agency I found a 35 mm lens (on a film camera) quite wide enough for news photography, in fact, being more into flight than fight I liked to keep a bit of distance between myself and a subject just in case a subject sent a fist in my direction!

Tobers

The 10-20 is a very nice lens. If you are mainly shooting landscapes then you're likely to be on a tripod with a smallish aperture so I cant see that the lens you suggest will get you any benefit at all other than possibly some minor image quality improvements.

I'd keep your 10-20 and get the body.

Doing nothing doesn't seem to compute :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom