• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New camera for honeymoon

Prominent Member
Actually Ihave the Exilim EX-Z20, which is a rebadged version of this:

Casio Ex-Z80 Review: Overview

Any idea if the Lumix would be much better overall and at taking night shots?

Lumix and Canon are the brands that do the business. Read the reviews for which suit you best

I still think a viewfinder is essential for good photography but they are becoming hard to find

If you are after taking good photos don't be swayed by those cameras that seem designed to do movies as well. For movies, get a camcorder

sterankin

Established Member
Thanks for the advice - I have a camcorder too which is a Panasonic TM300!

Just want to make sure if I buy the Lumix FS10, its going to take much better shots (especially night shots) than the current Casio Exilim I have. I dont want to was £115 on something I dont need or will be disappointed with...Or maybe I should just use the Casio and take photos with the camcorder!

I notice that the FS10 doesnt have the Leica lens - would that mean it is not as good as the other Lumix?

Prominent Member
Quite honestly I think you need to take time, read the various reviews and consider what you are trying to improve by spending now. I can't honestly advise detail because it's some time since I changed cameras and do not keep up to date with new models when I'm happy with what I've got

There's a lot to be said for sticking with what you've got if you are basically happy with what it does and comfortable with using it

The only real reason to change is if you are unhappy with a particular part of its performance

Prominent Member
There is a detailed and comprehensive review of good quality compact cameras in the August edition of PC Pro magazine which I think you will find useful

snarlz

Standard Member
I reckon there's a few factors to consider;

The size of the camera - nice if it fits in your pocket.
The image sensor size - the bigger the better.
The optical zoom - the bigger the better.
How many megapixels - more means a bigger photo but not necessarily a better photo.

I'd probably go with something like the Canon SD990 IS.

It has a large image sensor for a compact which means more detail in the photos, better at night or in low light situations. 14 megapixels and it'll fit in your pocket. With some third party software you can take RAW images as well.

Canon SD 990 IS and SD 880 IS: Digital Photography Review

Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware - Wired How-To Wiki

Extra lenses;
Tele & Wide Angle Lens For Canon SD990 SD960 SD950 - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 25-Jun-10 03:14:51 AEST)

Cheap Batteries;
NB-5L NB5L Battery for Canon SD890 SD870 SD900 SD950 IS - eBay, Other Cameras, Accessories, Cameras. (end time 20-Jun-10 17:53:48 AEST)

Cheap Memory;
TG 16GB 16G SD SDHC Class 4 Memory Card Retail New - eBay, Memory Cards, Cameras. (end time 20-Jun-10 22:40:47 AEST)

If you can't afford the SD990 IS perhaps consider the SD950 IS, basically the same but 12 megapixels.

sterankin

Established Member

snarlz

Standard Member
Thanks for all the posts. I am still not sure about buying a new camera and maybe I should try playing about more with my current one - the Casio Exilim EX-Z80.

Can anyone give me any advice or links on how to take better photos - especially night ones, like night time scenery - kinda like this:

http://www.raingod.com/angus/Gallery/Photos/Asia/China/HongKong/images/HongKongCentralNight01.jpg

Do you raise the ISO or what do you do, change apertures or shutter speeds???

Thanks

The slower the ISO speed the more time the lens is open and the more light that gets in. At night you want to try to let more light in, so using a low ISO speed is desirable. There's one major drawback of using low ISO speeds and that is that the images can become blurry, this is where a tripod comes in handy or just sitting your camera on a stable surface. Cameras with larger image sensors capture more light than those with small ones, your current camera has a very small image sensor, making night shots or low light shots difficult.

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might also want to try joining or stitching photos together to create panoramas of the city skyline. Higher mega-pixel cameras give you bigger photos but joining a series of photos together gives you huge photos and its really very easy.

This software is good for stitching photos together;
Image Composite Editor (32-Bit) - Microsoft Research

Enjoy your trip!

Aardvarks

Established Member
Ah yes, photos of the harbour from the heights.

20 years ago I too took the tram car to the peak using 100asa fim and a yashica fxd plus a tripod and a cable release to take these shots.

Last yes in Disney in Florida, I used a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 and a table top tripod to take shots of the castle and fireworks and turned out terrific shots by switching between Inteliigent auto and auto with the ability to push or pull exposure by up to two stops...over half of my pictures were keepers.

My little TZ6 is capable of stunning shots under extreme light conditions once I put it on a tripod and mess with the exposures.

Tripod plus any damn camera plus time to mess with exposures= useable results

Last edited:

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Lumix lx3 quality lens great in low light highly sought after,ive just chosen this after weeks of reading online.

Good luck

Buster

mjcmt

Established Member
Lumix lx3 quality lens great in low light highly sought after,ive just chosen this after weeks of reading online.

Good luck

Buster

My top two choices where the LX3 and G10. In the end I chose the G10 because it felt good in my hand, had nice user controls, and a lens that reached into the portrait range. Though I would like to own the LX3 as well for street photography.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom