New camera choice

The Grandfather

I'm off to New York soon and the prospect of the B and H super store beckons.
At present I have a Sony NEX 5R with a 18/55 lens.
I am under whelmed by it due to the poor menu structure, lack of physical controls (buttons) and the lack of a viewfinder which I know is my fault as no one forced me buy it!
I like the APS-C size sensor and the general image quality.

My short list is this:- Fuji X-E2 or Olympus OM- DE-M10. Both with standard zooms.

What do people think?
have I missed anything?
Plus any tips about buying in USA.

Thanks
Nick

twist

Distinguished Member
Fuji will have better overall IQ, the Oly will have better AF and built in stabilisation. Both very good and cant really go wrong either way. Best bet is to look at the lenses for both systems.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Just so you're aware the Olympus isn't an APS-C size sensor, it is a Micro 4/3 so slightly smaller. That being said IQ is excellent. I've just bought one and am really impressed, it's a joy to use. It takes a little bit of setting up to get it set up how you want it, and the menu isn't the greatest. However, once you have it set up you rarely need to go into the menus as you can customise the buttons, plus there's something called the super control panel which has loads of settings (WB, ISO, Metering, Flash comp, AF settings, etc etc) at the press of a button. Once your familiar with it it transforms the camera and it becomes so easy to change settings. Also you can program 4 lots of mysets, which save every single setting so you can quickly change to different settings for different types of shooting. You can set these to a function button, but more usefully for me I can set it to the mode dial and replace those modes that I don't use such as iAuto.

Kit lenses are never stellar, and the 14-42mm on the Olly is no exception. However, it's pretty decent and in the right hands you'll get some great images from it. Here's an example of a recent image I took using the kit. It's not amazing but I'm still a relative newbie to photography so imagine what's possible with someone who knows what they're doing.

P5260002 (1) by TDG-77, on Flickr

I can't comment on the Fuji I'm afraid, but I hear that their images are very nice. As for buying in the US there shouldn't be an issue, except for the mains plug of course.

twist

Distinguished Member
Besides the mains plug you'll need to check the cameras video modes. US is NTSC and EU is PAL. Some will have different modes or both types. Best do some research.

shotokan101

Banned
Though NTSC playback is pretty much standard on modern TV's :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Besides the mains plug you'll need to check the cameras video modes. US is NTSC and EU is PAL. Some will have different modes or both types. Best do some research.
Ahh yes, good old video always forget that. As Jim says it's not as much of an issue these days. Not overly au fait with the different types of software for video editing but I would have thought they could all handle PAL and NTSC?

The Grandfather

Thank you one and all.
brain fade over Olympus as being M4/3.
Snerkler thanks for all the info on setting up. All I need now is for an owner of the Fuji to do the same please.
The video is of little importance as I rarely use it but who knows I could be a convert even at this late stage.

Once again thank you and keep the comments coming.

Nick

missinglink

You may want to consider the Fuji XE-1 which, although superseded by the XE-2, is $500 cheaper.

Image quality is very similar although you may prefer some of the other specs on the XE-2.

I have the Fuji XM-1 which, oddly enough has the same sensor as the XE-1 but the newer processor as found on the latest Fuji's including the XE-2.
(Mine lacks a viewfinder, but it was very cheap and all could afford).

The 18-55mm kit lens on the XE models is very good for a kit lens.

The Grandfather

Missinglink
Thank you. I think the Fuji has by far the better kit lens - albeit at a price. However if I buy the Olympus it will not be the kit lens but the 12-50 instead.
I was originally going to just buy an electronic viewfinder for the NEX but my "senior domestic manager" said that it was about time I spent on myself......so who am I to argue!

If forum members are interested this is the B and H site:-
Photography, Digital Cameras, Lenses, & Lighting - B&H Photo

The prices are a revelation so it will be a very tempting time. Decisions decisions.

Nick

D

Deleted member 241106

Get the XT1, absolutely cracking camera if IQ is your main priority. A joy to use and actually makes you want to take more pics.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Get the XT1, absolutely cracking camera if IQ is your main priority. A joy to use and actually makes you want to take more pics.
How strange, I really didn't like the XT1, I found the dials a pain to use due to the locking function, and the subdials very fiddly. Also ISO control is on the wrong side for me.

Just shows how important it is to try cameras out for yourself :smashin:

shotokan101

Banned

How strange, I really didn't like the XT1, I found the dials a pain to use due to the locking function, and the subdials very fiddly. Also ISO control is on the wrong side for me.

Just shows how important it is to try cameras out for yourself :smashin:

So in fact it makes him want to take more photos - as would any camera you like IMO.....

snerkler

Distinguished Member
So in fact it makes him want to take more photos - as would any camera you like IMO.....
Agree, and there's a lot of people out there that love the XT1, just pointing out it's important to get some hands on before buying. Like he said, get a camera you find you enjoy using and it makes you want to go out and take pics. I'm lucky in that I get that from both my cameras :)

D

Deleted member 241106

Locking function? you do know it only locks when set to Auto mode? Which is what you'd want. When in manual shutter/aperture dials turn freely but not so much that they can be accidently moved, the notches/resistance is perfect. There are 2 sub dials, metering and shot type (single,multi,bracket etc) These can both be adjusted without moving your eye from the evf, right at your finger tips. ISO on the left dial and exp comp on the right, shutter in the middle, fstop right on the lens. Perfect.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Locking function? you do know it only locks when set to Auto mode? Which is what you'd want. When in manual all dials turn freely but not so much that they can be accidently moved, the notches/resistance is perfect. There are 2 sub dials, metering and shot type (single,multi,bracket etc) These can both be adjusted without moving your eye from the evf, right at your finger tips. ISO on the left dial and exp comp on the right, shutter in the middle, fstop right on the lens. Perfect.
Maybe for you, not for me ;) I know the function dial is only locked in one position, but the ISO dial has to be unlocked every time, at least from when I had a play and also what the shop guy said when I asked him, but maybe this is wrong. I appreciate that the other functions can be altered without taking your eye away, but that doesn't stop them from being fiddly for me, and also I don't like ISO being on the left.

I'm not knocking the camera at all, and am well aware it suits a lot of people and is a wonderful performer. Just wasn't right for me, in the same way the D7100 wasn't and I went for the A77 instead :thumbsup:

The Grandfather

Well I'm back from the land of the free!
Sad to say I didn't get a camera but the B and H superstore is quite a shop - in fact to call it a shop is an insult. It's like Argos on steroids.
The cost went up to 1299 dollars the day after I arrived and there was no UK warranty so sadly no X-E2 for me. But the advice from the experts at B and H was very helpful and helped me to decide so it wasn't all a waste of time plus I did buy other photo stuff whilst I was there.
However the good news is that the UK price has fallen quite a lot so the saving in the USA was much smaller.
I'm going to trade the NEX if I get a fair price. However Castle Cameras (my local camera shop) have only offered 130 to 150 GBP but hopefully WEX will better that. Failing that I shall sell privately, who knows I could use this forum's sales facility.

Anyway one and all thanks for interest and the posts.

Nick

twist

Distinguished Member
Well I'm back from the land of the free!
Sad to say I didn't get a camera but the B and H superstore is quite a shop - in fact to call it a shop is an insult. It's like Argos on steroids.
The cost went up to 1299 dollars the day after I arrived and there was no UK warranty so sadly no X-E2 for me. But the advice from the experts at B and H was very helpful and helped me to decide so it wasn't all a waste of time plus I did buy other photo stuff whilst I was there.
However the good news is that the UK price has fallen quite a lot so the saving in the USA was much smaller.
I'm going to trade the NEX if I get a fair price. However Castle Cameras (my local camera shop) have only offered 130 to 150 GBP but hopefully WEX will better that. Failing that I shall sell privately, who knows I could use this forum's sales facility.

Anyway one and all thanks for interest and the posts.

Nick

Dealers offer very little for Sony gear, sell private.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom