New camcorders from Pansonic

Terfyn

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey! Who says camcorders are dead?
Quote from the CES show:-

Three new camcorders from Panasonic. The V800, VX1, and WXF1 each feature a 1/2.5" back side illuminated (BSI) sensor for improved performance in low-light environments, as well as new Active Contrast technology and an HDR mode that enables a wider dynamic range response. Sharing similar technologies, The V800 is a Full HD camcorder, while the VX1 and WXF1 shoot and record up to 4K UHD. The V800 has a built-in Leica Dicomar 24x optical zoom lens with intelligent zoom that provides up to 48x zoom range, as well as three optical image stabilizer systems. Panasonic has also incorporated built-in wireless functionality that enables the V800 to utilize its Wireless Twin-Camera Capture feature, allowing you to pair your smartphone with the V800 and capture video from both simultaneously.

Camcorders rule OK Just.:thumbsup:

Yes interesting,it is strange the Pana camcorders lens reach is always less than their bridge Cameras like the FZ82.its horses for courses camcorders have better ergonomics for filming but if you need to take some stills as well even bridge cameras take better quality stills.Panasonic seem to be in a introduction frenzy this year.

Across the pond they will be as
HC-V808 for 600e
VX11 for 800e
VXF11 for 1000e

PanasonicImaging has few shots on YT,

Last edited:
The quote was from B&H who are asking for preorders. I note that they are shown on the Panasonics UK site. I don't think that they are more than a minor update to the current cameras but one change to the HD model is the Leica lens replacing the Panasonic one and a much bigger filter holder diameter.
I am surprised that they are producing a new HD model for us Luddites. Chris will not be impressed.

Ha your right, all mobiles are 4K now, but i admit getting good content is still more important than its PQ

IMHO, the changes in these camcorders are not that significant. Notice that the USB connector is still only USB 2.0. Sensor size has gone down from 1/2.3" BSI -> 1/2.5" BSI. Even if there's been a slight improvement in QE, (theoretically, there's not much more room to improve QI with a Bayer-CFA-equipped sensor), going to even smaller sensors is not what we've been hoping for. Panasonic is keeping the capabilities of this range far removed from the changes in their video-capable stills range which is racing ahead. I'm not sure how active Panasonic is in releasing new features in their semi-pro video range, but their consumer camcorder range isn't advancing much.

Makes you wonder: will there be models with new chipsets and significant performance and feature improvements next year, or just more tweaking?

Dan.

Last edited:
Yes the new GH5s is the big talking point on a lot of forums, the lack of IBS is a big downer for me,slightly better low light would not persuade me to change my GH5 a model itself less than a year old,i think manufacturers are rushing new models too quick now.

Panasonic is keeping the capabilities of this range far removed from the changes in their video-capable stills range which is racing ahead. I'm not sure how active Panasonic is in releasing new features in their semi-pro video range, but their consumer camcorder range isn't advancing much.
I would not agree. The use of the Leica lens and the 61mm aperture is a step forward. This plus the use of a three stage OIS will be better for handheld work. There is a thought that if it is good why change it and I recon that is what Panasonic are doing.

You will note that on the GH5S Panasonic have removed any OIS and have fixed the sensor. The argument put forward is that we will all buy these powered gimbals to hold the camera steady so OIS is no longer needed. Is this a step forward?

Any real-improvement is welcome, provided the features are what we want - Sony hasn't yet dropped the poor projector feature and I don't think Pana has built-in ND filters, like their Stills model FZ2000 (DYOR).

I've seen these gimbal-units with varying price-tags - but that's extra weight and you can't be a "Tourist" with that sticking out of your bag . . . . drawing attention!
The marginal reduction in sensor-size probably reflects the issues with data-rates and 4K.... maybe this new sensor will remove the somewhat slow frame-rate associated with 4K ( usually palming us off with "cinema-look"). However, others have suggested 24fps make panning difficult . . . and I rather think 50fps is better, even if it's downscaled later. The real reason for 24fps is more likely "data-rate" -

Do we need 4K, with 40" screen, or hall-projection about 8ft? It's a Q I struggle with.... esp. as HD gear is still "new tech" with a rather poor 4K added to trap the unwary, into buying a new TV and Editor. Don't be fooled by HDR - you need to be in a darkened-room to see it. This probably rules out ordinary domestic rooms.
HRD may sell more TV's, as folks will prefer a feature which they can switch-off to not having it to boast about. Camcorders have achieved this by switching 8-bit exposure alternate frames to "create" a 10-bit file...=oh dear.

I'm still waiting for the Pana VXF990 to get a ND filter - just one x4 (2-stops), could fix summer-outdoor events, if the lens was up to it( background defocus, without "sharpening").
Yet, sadly we are stuck with Focus-hocus lens rings, rather than setable distances . . . again, this could be done with a 3-position slide-switch Portrait, Middle and Far.... since it's only when you are close enough to notice it needs careful focus with the ND applied . . . Of course 3-positions are not as good as a proper Scale( for manual-operation); yet most folks will rely on the viewfinder ( esp if given a x4 boost feature), to get their focus right - so they could just move a bit.

Any prices?

HC-VX1 $799.99
HC-WXF1 $999.99
HC-V800 $599.99

That's competitive in the "new 4K camcorder" market, once you discount any of the more-basic camcorders . . . On Panas US-website, the "Stills-section", appears to offer 25Mpx = wide format . . . that's very nice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom