1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CamCorder - is HDD based really that bad?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by monkeyleader, Oct 11, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi,

So Im in the market for a new Digital Video Camera and was thinking about a hard disk based one. Althought it sounds attractive I've been very dissappointed by the reviews Ive been reading. For someone who is looking to purchase (with a budget of around £600-£700) in the next few months Im guessing I should stay clear of HDD based devices?

ta,

Nige

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Nige,
    Ordered one myself this week after pondering and reading reviews/talking to a couple of owners.
    Already have a mini dv cam and know that is better pic quality and more flexible with editing in mind.
    However the ability to record up to 7 hrs of footage is of interest to me and I am not bothered about editing with this camera.

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yes I take your point and thats one of the first things that really attracted me to HDD based ones.

As this will be my first real foray into the world of Digital Video Cameras (I have an Archos AV300 with camera module but its not really up to the job) and a budget of around £600 to spend Im looking for something that

a) is very good quality (I'll be showing these on screens 40" and above)
    b) isnt a total pain to edit / get onto pc / backup ( I dont mind a bit of a challenge)

So perhaps for me the choice is between tape and DVD.

Nige

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In this case, there is only one choice - Tape.

DVD camcorders record in MPEG2 format and, from what I've heard, the quality isn't as good as MiniDV. Also:-

* You're limited to 20 minutes 'high quality' per DVD as opposed to 60 Minutes on tape
    * Mini DVD's are a lot more expensive than tapes, and you have to buy 3 for the equivalent of one tape.
    * If you use Mini DVD, any editing you do could lead to your final footage being recompressed. Recompressing footage that was original recorded in a compressed format is not a good idea and will lead to further loss of quality. You don't have this problem with MiniDV.

The only advantage, that I can see, of MiniDVD camcorders is that you can watch your unedited footage straight away on most standard DVD players, and transfering from MiniDVD to PC is a lot quicker as MiniDV has to be captured in realtime.

Hope this helps.

5. Pinoy

Pinoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking for this type of video cam as well . . .

melliott1963, you have a point of a recording time but there are new DVD-R & DVD-RW disc in a 2.8 in which I believe will give you at least double the capacity. I am more incline to get this rather than HDD at the moment.

I am just worried about the HDD, what if the drive fails, is that the end of my camera ? This media are not tested yet, I am bit concerned.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You want MiniDV or HDV nothing else