1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New camcorder and Firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by HarryMc, Jul 21, 2003.

1. HarryMc

HarryMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My analogue camcorder has died and Sony want £200 to repair it so I reckon I would be better off with a new digital. I have just about settled on the Canon MV600i - best price £406 at Ama*on.co.uk. Is this a good choice?

Also. could I please get some assistance with a couple of queries?

1. I have just realised that it does not come with a MEM Card. IS this a major issue? Is the quality of stills taken from video *SO* bad? In any case I have a digital stills camera but obvoiusly it would be easier not to have to carry both. Should I consider the MV630i which does have a MEM Card?
    2. I think I understand the neccessity for Firewire. Do I need to buy a Firewire card and cable? If so any reccommendations?

Finally, I spent some time trying to locate a MV550i thinking that as this line is discontinued I could pick up an end of range one cheaply. So far I have had no luck but am wondering if this is worth pursuing?
    I would be grateful for your help as I would like to purchase one before the arrival of our first baby

:D

Thanks
    Harry

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi, and welcome to the forum :hiya:

1. If you have a digicam and do not really want to take pics with the camcorder then why spend more money on one that will. Pictures from the tape are ok, but not great.

2. A firewire card is bog standard. There is no need to spend more money on any specific make. The only real difference is down to the software. Most internet retailers will sell a card with cable from around £20.
    You only need the card if you want to edit video on the PC. Doing this you can add effects, titles etc and can get good results for little money. If you have MS Win XP then download (free of charge) Movie Maker 2 from the MS web site. This is a great and simple starting point.
    Of course, if all you want are basic VHS copies then why bother, just copy to your VCR.

Mark.

3. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Excuse my ignorance here but do you still need a firewire card if your computer already has firewire ports?

cheers

pcblues

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nope!

If your machine already has firewire ports then you don't require a separate card. That's only for those of us not fortunate enough to have them built in as standard.

5. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Anthony.

pcblues

6. HarryMc

HarryMc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark and thanks for your reply. I'm going to go for the Canon MV600i - I notice that you didn't venture an opinion on it !?
    My mate is going to fit the firewire card for me.
    I do have XP so will download Movie Maker as you suggested.
    Thanks again.
    Harry

PS I have a couple of tapes of film from my broken analogue camera which I never got around to transferring onto a tape for my VCR. I suppose the only thing to do now is borrow a camera to run them on?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Harry, sorry not to offer an opinion on the MV600i, but I am not in the market for a camcorder at the moment (and quiet a while since I last was) so therefore do not know about the current models. On paper just about all camcorders look the best thing since sliced bread, but when useing......... Opinions will be better from somebody who has used the model.

Old analogue footage!
    If this is on 8mm/Hi8 tapes then you might want to consider getting one of the Sony Digital8 camcorders as some (but not all!) of these can play back the old 8mm/Hi8 tapes. Suggest that if you would want one of these you go to a local Jessops etc and take an old tape to see if it will play. Play with a few models and see which ones you like the feel of. Then find the best internet price you can for that model and then Jessops will price match it.

Good luck,
    Mark.