New cabling required ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Simon J Kemp, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Simon J Kemp

Simon J Kemp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my 42” Panasonic plasma tv (2007 vintage) to a new 4K, LG OLED55B7 TV with Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK Ultra Blu-ray player. I hope to retain my Denon
    DHT-FS3 soundbar.

My present setup uses a 5 m long QED Qunex HDMI-P cable (DVD recorder/Apple TV to TV), 5 m QED Professional Coaxial Aerial cable, 5 m Profigold PGD565 TOSLink Digital Optical Audio Cable (DVD recorder to soundbar), QED Qunex 2 Stereo audio cables (TV to soundbar). All are also 2007 vintage, with the longer cables neatly running through the walls and up the chimney to the wall mounted TV/soundbar.

My questions are:

1. is the present cabling able to handle the demands of the new system ?
    2. will the HDMI handle both video/audio from UB player to TV ? If so, I can use a new digital optical cable between TV and soundbar.
    3. if not and HDMI (UB to TV) and digital (UB to soundbar) cables are required, can I get an HDMI to stereo cable (as dont think TV has audio out stereo and soundbar doesnt have an HDMI)

Many thanks for your help and advice.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    1. It's difficult to tell with high priced digital cables like that whether the quality is good or not, but I would guess so if they also make analogue cables.

It's certainly worth trying with your existing HDMI cables as anything that met the high speed standard back then will still work. If you don't see any break-up then it's fine.

2. Yes. Although your existing optical cable would do fine, no need for a new one.

3. Simon J Kemp

Simon J Kemp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, EndlessWaves.

If the HDMI handles both video and audio (UB to TV), I can use the single digital optical connection on the soundbar to connect to the TV optical, and forget the stereo cables. Assuming there is no downside to routing the UB audio through the TV to the soundbar ? My 5 m optical cable will be difficult to hide behind the TV and so I'll invest in a new one.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Well S/PDIF has limited bandwidth so connecting a soundbar to the TV that way would mean you couldn't get access to the higher quality audio formats (TrueHD, Master Audio, Atmos etc.) and on a new soundbar you'd want to use HDMI instead (ARC functionality).

I don't think the B7 has analogue audio outputs though, so short of buying a new soundbar I don't think you have much alternative. Although you could potentially connect the BD UHD Player's analogue outputs to the soundbar in addition to the S/PDIF (assuming you watch stuff other than BD UHD). I'd suggest you try it and see which you prefer.

5. kimberlin

kimberlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Just as a an advisory, when I bought my new Marantz NR1506 AV receiver back in July, I initially had problems with HDMI from my receiver to my 4k spec TV. I discovered that my HDMI cables weren't compliant to latest specs and to be fair, I think the average age of each cable, was about 10 years. I bought brand new Amazon Basics HDMI cables to replace them and that solved all of my problems.

Although I have ARC/CEC capability and use it successfully from the av receiver to the TV where my Humax PVR/Xbox and internet streaming devices are concerned, because of the way my TV's HDMI sockets are configured, I have to still use an optical cable to carry the TV audio to the receiver, which is a bit of a pain when I want to watch terrestrial tv and have to manually switch the av receiver off then on again so it picks up the optical link.

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    The latest spec for cables is Category 2/High Speed, introduced as part of HDMI 1.3 in 2006.

Well, that's not entirely true. The recent HDMI 2.1 introduced a new 48G cable but that standard hasn't made it's way into hardware yet.

7. kimberlin

kimberlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    My cables must have been older than that then. All I know is, with the specs of my Marantz av receiver, the new 4k TV, my previous HDMI cables didn't work correctly. Only new cables solved my particular issues.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    UHD_BD Player > TV - your 5m HDMI cable may be fine with the high bandwidth Video (+ Stereo PCM) signal.

'HDMI to stereo cable' - no that cable does not exists, you can add an HDMI ARC to 2RCA or Optical converter if required.

Optical to 2RCA - if the TV has an Optical Out you can add an Optical to 2RCA DAC for around £30 between the long Optical cable and your Soundbar.

Joe

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    That wasn't really what I was saying. New cables may be needed, but as the cable spec is a decade old it's worth trying any existing ones first.