Question New cables or new 5.1 speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by djsgrant, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:17 AM.

1. djsgrant

djsgrant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am resurrecting my old Tannoy FX5.1 Speakers to go with a Denon AVR-2400. This is a very cheap system but it not ever going to be a high end system. I have it in the same room as two SONOS Play:1s which I use for music. The P1s are far better sound quality when compared to the FX1s, so much so that I can’t live with the sound. The speaker cable I am using is poor quality and twisted beyond recognition so I may be giving the old Tannoy’s an unwarranted bad name. If I spent £50 plus on new cable would the old speakers sound quality improve enough to compare to the P1s or will I actually need to invest in a new set of 5.1s?

If it’s an upgrade then to achieve a similar sound quality to the P1s I was looking in Richer Sounds at the Wharfedale DX2 5.1 Speaker Package at £349 or at the most the Q Acoustics 3010 x 2, 3090C and 3070S Sub at £479?

Couple of things guys, look at what I am buying, I am not a high end user so please don’t blind me with science. I know my budget is tiny compared to some setups but it is what it is.

Also, I know the Q Acoustics are better but are they worth the extra £100 quid given what I am trying to achieve which is surround sound speakers that produce a sound comparable with my SONOS P:1s or is it just new cables?

Cheers, David

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    The speaker cable would have to be either damaged or have poor terminations in order for it to be having a negative effect on the sound. What speaker cable is it? I suggest untwisting it, cutting the ends off and re- terminating it should be enough, unless it is really thin wire?

The other thing to try is improving the set-up of the Denon AVR with the 5.1 speakers. How do you have them positioned, have you run Audyssey and got the optimal crossovers and other settings on the AVR?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:00 AM
  3. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    This one is a bargain as you’ve mentioned. A good saving from what was well thought of at full price. And a couple of leagues (at least) above the Tannoys.

Q Acoustics 3010 x2, 3090C and 3070S Subwoofer (Graphite)

Hard to believe it’s the cables too. Unless it really is well buggered bell wire?

Also, assuming you can get the extra cash, then it’s hard to see how the Wharfedales could match the Qs.

If not then the Wharfedales should at least comfortably improve on the Tannoys.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,069
    The Tannoy FX 5.1 are TINY LITTLE Speakers, changing the speaker wire is not going to bring much more out of them.

Tannoy 5.1 FX Home Cinema Speakers System Review

Though you many not like the way I say it, but the Q Acoustic 3000's are real speakers, though I think you would be better of raising the Front Speaker to 3020 models. But that is up to you.

It is worth the extra £100.

The 3010 have been replaced by the 3010i, you can get the older 3010 (not "i") at pretty nice discounts, but supplies are limited. Of what has been discussed so far, the previous 3010 or if you can swing it, the previous 3020 are probably you best bet.

Here is the current version of the 3010i 5.1 (£785) so if you can get a set of the older 3010 (not "i") for under £500, you are getting pretty expensive speakers at a bargain price.

Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 Speaker Package - Superfi

I've not heard the 3010, but I have heard the 3020, and I was very impressed.

This is the older 3010 5.1 system from Richer Sounds - £479/set -

Q Acoustics 3010 x2, 3090C and 3070S Subwoofer (Graphite)

A reminder that the Retail Price on this system is nearly £900/set. You can buy £400 speakers for £400, or you can buy nearly £900 speakers for a bit under £500. Which seems the better deal? Though again, being discontinued speakers, these are only available while supplies last.

The Wharfedale DX-2 5.1, or previous variation of them, have been very well reviewed. So, despite being small, I would expect good things from them, but they are pretty small.

Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Speaker System - Superfi

DX-2 HCP – WHARFEDALE

Again, of those listed, the Q Acoustic has 100mm (4") bass drivers and that is personally as low as I would every be willing to go. The Q Acoustic are exceptionally smooth and easy to listen to speakers, though again, I would personally prefer the larger 5" 3020 in front. But that is up to you and your wallet.

The 3010 (not "i") are about £99/pair.

The 3020 (not "i") are about £119/pair.

Up to you to decide if you can spare the extra money. Again, for perspective, the new 3020i is about £189/pair.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 5:30 PM
  6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,069
    One other system you could at least consider based on price -

Tannoy Mercury 7.2 5.0 System - £299 -

Tannoy Mercury 7.2 (X2) & 7C

That would require the addition of a Subwoofer, which you can get for £119 -

Cambridge SW120 Subwoofer - £119 -

Cambridge Audio SX120 (Black)

So, roughly £420.

The Tannoy Mercury 7.2 have 152mm Bass Drivers or about 6".

Though pushing your budget, you could build a system out of Cambridge Audio SX-Series Speakers. (from Richer Sounds)

£129/pr = Cambridge Audio SX60 (6.5", 165mm) Bookshelf
    £139/ea = Cambridge Audio SX70 Center Speaker
    £_99/pr = Cambridge Audio SX50 (5.25", 135mm) Bookshelf
    £119/ea = Cambridge Audi SX120 Subwoofer
    ------------------------------------
    £486 = Total

Or -

£139/ea = Cambridge Audio SX70 Center Speaker
    £119/ea = Cambridge Audi SX120 Subwoofer
    ---------------------------------------
    £456 = Total

All that said, the Q Acoustic 5.1 package is probably the surest system listed. Though the Cambridge would give you bigger bass drivers.

Just trying to help.

Steve/bluewizard

7. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    15 quid spent on wire for those speakers will sort out that problem ,if it is wire related... There are plenty of references to suitable cable, and old strimmer cable will even suffice..if you like orange.
    But old speakers can have other problems,. There could be rotted rubber surrounds,or that you have just got to like the sound of the active speakers. But as others have said, the fx speakers being smaller are intended fir a specific job.. surround sound.

8. djsgrant

djsgrant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks so far guys, I am bowled over by the help and advice already received. To answer a couple of qustions; I have used Audyssey to set up the speakers and the cable is the unbranded stuff that came with the kit back in the day. That was pre-child (he is 8 now) and I was impressed at the time but obviously time has moved on.

My thoughts are moving towards the QA 3030 package at £480 and maybe a secondhand AVR for the playroom and recycle the Tannoys there as a second system for the wee man.

Happy to listen to more ideas and many thanks again.

David

9. djsgrant

djsgrant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again guys. I have taken the plunge and ordered these Q Acoustics 3000

Amazing price and they throw in a sub cable and 40m of QED speaker cable.