New Cable for FS2AV

ani4ani

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My speakers are Mission FS2AV's and I am quite happy with them, but as part of my new install, I want to relocate them. For those who are not familiar with these, the speaker cable that is supplied, is of the flat type and applied with double back tape.

Also, if I remember right, a real "pain" to terminate.

The question is, do I live with the issues of the Mission cable or do I just go and buy some reasonable replacement.

Although I have no issue with the Mission cable, I cannot imagine, that is "high Quality" as they "throw in" 50m of the stuff.

I was proposing to use QED Micro for the rears and QED SA for the front.

Apart from being difficult to terminate, what exactly are the "issues" with the cable?

I can't say for sure if changing to either of the QED cables you mention will make an improvement as I am not familiar with the standard cables that come with your speakers.

The main issue, is that this is very very thin flat cable. [maybe 15 strands] They supply with double-back tape for you to use when running it.

I have endeavoured to move the wire [due to relocation] and it is impossible to remove the tape from the wire without the wire becoming not flat and creased, making it look unsightly. Also the problem [same with all flat cables] is changes of direction require "overlapping" etc, again unsightly.

Mission will sell me more cable for about £1.50 a metre. My question was, for this price and perhaps a little more couldn't I do a bit better than cable that is "free" with a £250 set of speakers?

If you did use some better cable you'd have to be carefull feeding it into the back of the missions, as the holes for the cable are pretty slim. I'm certain you wouldn't be able to use the stands as they're even tighter on cable thickness. Unless you terminated the end of your good chunky cable with a 20cm or so bit of the thin mission stuff? But then are you restricting the quality you're going to get with the good cable - I don't know.

Hi ani4ani, I have just the same problem you face.

I spoke to a very helpful chap at Mission support about changing the cabling from the speakers to the sub.

I found that the cable given by Mission was ok (hell it was FREE!)but it was not easy to manage or to get around corners etc as it creased and folded. Plus it was difficult to hide..for me anyway.

After discussing this with the very helpful gentleman, I was advised to purchase something along the lines of QED-Bronze series - AND - this was to be the most I should consider spending on cable for the FS2s. I was also advise to make sure the cables were a build of 32 strands of .2 (hope I got that bit right... :confused:).

I am currently using the standard cable but will be buying some more manageable cable when I finish redecorating my room.

However, one thing we must consider is this. If for example you decide to buy QED-Bronze series and run them all from each of the 5 FS2s to the sub, then brilliant! You get a good cable and the manageability that comes with it.

BUT! Take into account the 'Umblical Chord' cable that goes from the FS2 sub to the amp. It terminates into the 5.1 connections that are needed but it is composed of its own cable type. If that cable type is as good a quality as QED-Bronze series then I suppose that there may be some imporvement, however I doubt this will be the case.

So all in all u will have great cabling from your FS2s to the sub, but then the umb.chord will not be as good from the sub to the amp.

Hence Buying something like QED-Micro/Original may be more appropriate, I am certainly going to check this out.

Good Luck with your cabling, I will let you know what I find out.

EmissarY

:smashin:

I wonder how difficult it would be to 'bake your own' umbilical cable? I'm going to see if the multi-plug on the end of it can be persuaded into unclipping from the multiway cable!

According to mission technical support, using something like QED-Micro would be fine as they state that unlike conventional speakers, the FS2 flat panels do not need to push air around, rather they operate on a vibration type mechanism. Now I am not FULLY aware of the technical design of these FS2s but this is what I have been told.

I have also been informed by a lady I spoke to that if someone wants to add 6.1 sound to a current FS2 setup, then all you would need to do is buy an extra flat panel from Mission and connect it directly to the centre rear of the amp.

The lady informed me that according to much debate at Mission, they have decided that it is OK to plug a FS2 flat panel directly to the amp. Before they did not advise this.

However, because the centre rear meerly adds a bit from both the left and right surrounds, the risk I guess is now not as great.

I however am still unconvinced.

Hi,

just wondering how you got on with extending the cable length?

I'm planning on getting the FS1 6.1 speakers to run with a Denon 3805 amp.

I want to run the front speaker wires under the floorboards, so I know I will need a longer length then the supplied 10m. Did you find this an easy task to do? Which cable and where did you buy it from (a link would be reaaaal helpful)?

Finally, has anyone run all the speakers directly from the amp as opposed to using the unbilical cord from the amp to the sub? Does this have any benefits (apart from being able to use my own specified wire length)?

Thanks

Al.

Hi,

well in the end I purchased an additional speaker and cable from Mission. Not managed to install yet, due to a lot of travelling, however not sure of the value of cable. They charge about £35 per 30 metres of the stuff, and £75 for the extra speaker [6:1]. They say that there is no harm done by running this directly from the AMP. More annoyingly however is they did not send the "double-sided" tape for the cable. This is an extra at £7.95 per 5m! i.e. more expensive that the speaker cable! I purchased that from B&Q at £1.95 per 5m.

hope that this helps

ani4ani said:
Hi,

They say that there is no harm done by running this directly from the AMP.

Thanks for the reply.

Strange comment of theirs. I got an email back from Mission recommending NOT to run the speakers directly from the amp.

The thread is below. I've asked them the cost of the cable and terminators which when I've found out, will let you.

Cheers,

Al.

------------

Dear Al
Yes the amp will put the correct frequenices to the speaker just one problem the speaker will not produce those frequencies. The fs panel are in effect a tweeter so will only product frequencies of 260HZ upwards.
one solution is to shorted the umbilical cable so that it is a better length or do as I've had to do at home and that is cover the cable with some plastic cable tidy that you can get from most DIY stores.
We can supply 20 meter speakers cables or you can use another speaker cable and we can supply little adapters for the ends of the cable.

Regards
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08 June 2004 16:33
To: Mission
Subject: RE: FS 6.1

Hello.
Thanks for the reply.

1. Just out of curiosity, would the amp not take care of feeding the correct frequencies to the speakers i.e. if the sub was connected to the 'sub' on the amp, would that not make it work?

The sub will be placed around 3 meters from the amp.
The front speakers will need around 13 meters of cable (each).

Regards

Al.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 08 June 2004 16:23
To: 'Al'
Subject: RE: FS 6.1

Dear Al

Thank you for your e-mail.

In answer to your questions.

1, we do not recommend that the speakers be wired directly to you amp.The reason being is that you will end up with an acoustic hole in the frequencies so the system will sound very nasel.

In order to help you with this matter I need to ask you a couple of questions

1, Where do you plan to site your sub in relation to the amp.

2. what sort of lengths do you require as longer cables are available.

Regards
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08 June 2004 15:59
To: [email protected]
Subject: FS 6.1

Hello,
I'm considering purchasing the FS 6.1AV speakers. I'd appreciate if you can help by replying to my questions.
I understand that a cable from the amp feeds the sub. Then from the sub, separate cables feed each of speakers.
If I have to use the 'umbilical cord', how can I extend the length of the wiring on the speakers (two fronts and centre)? The front speaker cables will need to run under the floorboards so I will need a longer length.
Can I run individual cables from my amp to each of the speakers (I'm getting a Denon 3805 AV amp) rather then using the supplied 'umbilical cord'? This is my preferred way of connection and it should also allow me to use my own cables?

Thank you.

Al.

I guess that as I am only using the new mission as the final effect speaker at the rear, they felt that it would not be too much of a problem. Furthermore, I am using [or will be, a Pioneer 912] with the auto setup with the microphone, that perhaps the amp is somewhat compensate a little.

maybe?...I am going to set it up this weekend, I will let you know how I get on

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom