1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Buyer Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by judesalmon, Jan 20, 2003.

1. judesalmon

judesalmon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to enter the world of large-screen TVs, having had a 32" widescreen for a while now. Basically, I'm leaning towards a Pioneer PDP433HDE, which I have heard good things about it from reviewers and owners alike. However is this the best display in that price bracket (i.e. up to £5,000)?

Is a rear-projection still a better alternative, or has plasma overtaken it?

Also, I have seen that Richer Sounds is retailing the Samsung PS42P2SX for £2,000, and looking at the spec list, it seems like a good display, is it?

Many thanks for your help!:)

2. judesalmon

judesalmon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at some sites, and have also come up with the Pioneer 433MXE (is this better than the HDE) and the Panasonic TH-42w5B (does this have PAL prog-scan?).

PAL prog-scan is important, but I basically want the best display I can get for my money.

Please help as I'm drowning in a sea of information!

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nobody else answering you so I'll try but I'm just starting out looking at all this as well.

Plasma displays are inherently Progressive devices. They will convert your interlaced signal to progressive to display it.

The thing is that the chips (& system they use) to do this are usually not as good as the ones you would find in a good progressive scan DVD player.

My understanding is that the "HDE" Pioneer will accept NTSC progressive input but not PAL
    The "MXE will accept Progressive input from NTSC or PAL

It is similar with the Panasonic (but a little different). If you connect your Progressive device directly to the component inputs on the Panny it will accept Progessive NTSC or PAL but if you do it through the Panasonic tuner it will only accept Progressive NTSC input.

As I say ,whatever is eventually displayed will be progressive but what matters if better deintrelacing was being done outside the panel then you are not going to want to lose that advantage by the panel not accepting that signal.

Remember as well that the PAL Progressive scan specs have only just been drawn up & the majority of DVD players out there at the momment that state Prgessive scan are actually only able to output NTSC progressive scan. There are a few (Arcam & Denon are 2) that are starting to produce some PAL progressive scan players.