1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new buyer advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by plasmasomething, Mar 29, 2005.

1. plasmasomething

plasmasomething

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

I am very new to Plasma Screens and do not know that much about them except that I need one!

I am wondering what the best package is for 2k or under and what needs to be included in this package - I also have loads of questions and do not trust any person whio woks in any shop anywhere and so I am asking for opinions here - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Question 1.
    What is the Hitachi 42PD5200PRO like - they say that it is High Definition TV but is the format compatable with how Sky intend to transmit?Is it a good screen? I also looked at Panasonic TH42PWD6BX but not high def and need extras with it? Any suggestions or a shortlist with pros and cons?

Question 2.
    What is the difference betweenthe 42PD5000 and 42PD5200?

Question 3.
    I will watch TV through Sky - I have been told that the best picture for TV is use Sky with S video lead [not skart] is this true?What is the best lead?

Question 4.
    I will have tthree TVs [one Plasma screen in my play room and another normal TV in living room and a crap little TV in the bedroom]. With this setup I could pay Sky extra money for two boxes or simply use one. Now I now from current experience that I can but a little transmiter so that I can watch TV in two rooms but has to be the same channel - in my setup I have options:
    a. One sky box and two transmitters to other two Ts
    b. Two sky boxes and one transmit to upstairs
    c. Three sky box - forget that one.

option b - I would have a sky box s video to plasma and a sky box to living room TV - good but more expensive

option a - cheaper sky bill but do I lose quality on the plasma if the signal is transmit from living room tv - of course I could plug sky box into plasma and transmit to living room but i could lose quality as well

does anyone know or have experience?

Question 5.
    Although Sky is the main thing for me every now and then I would want to maybe watch a DVD or play PS2 through it - I am not too worried about chnging leads over as this would be occasional but it would be good to know options and pros and cons.......
    Is ti easy to change leads on a wall mounted plasma?
    Do I even need to change leads or can they all be permanently plugged in?
    What are best leads to attach DVD and PS2

Question 6.
    I ahve heard something about burn in - I know hopw to remove the score and clock from sky sports but other channels have permanent logos - can you get rid of these in sky setup etc...

There are a few questions there but any time spent will be greatly appreciated

I think you all in advance for any advice or experiences that you can share

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'll try to answer some of your questions and I'm sure someone else will be able to fill in the blanks.

1. The Hitachi 5xxx series of screens all share the same panel and can, with the right setup look fantastic - I've got a 5300 and there are a lot of happy users on the forum - have a look at the Hitachi Thread. Having said that, there are an equal if not greater number of happy Panasonic owners...

2. AFAIK, the panel is the same but the input boards are different.

3. The RGB picture from my Pace Sky + box via scart is better on my 5300 than the s-video picture but this can be down to personal taste.

4. I would make sure that Sky is connected directly to your plasma for best picture quality and then transmit the RF signal to the other TV's (either via coax cable or wireless).

5. Depending on your setup, there should be no need to change leads at all. For example, you can use an AV amp to do all your video switching and only have a single video lead to the panel. PS2 is best connected via component and best for DVD is either component or DVI.

6. There is no way to remove the Sky channel logos. My advice is not to worry too much about it, I've had my plasma for almost 2 years now with all my viewing through Sky and I've had no problems with burn in.

HTH

John

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    just out of interest how do you remove score and clock on sky sports?...not sure I'd want to but I hate not knowing stuff! :)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Could I just underline that you will suffer some grave disappointment if you connect sky to your shiny new toy with RF? If you are needing top PQ throoughout, you need to consider some form of video distribution, you can't have it perfect everywhere any other way. RGB scart to the plasma would be fine, then you could use s-video and stereo audio over cat5 cable to the living room. If you connect RF as well, one of those sky mouse efforts will enable you to change channels too. It all costs money I'm afraid, but if you can stand £100 or so, the quality will be very much improved over the RF connection.

5. plasmasomething

plasmasomething

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks fo the advice

much appreciated

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also dont worry about HD you wont get an HD plasma for £2k so consider great SD first then HD (which isnt widely available yet)