1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new bulb for sp 50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by croozer, Apr 15, 2005.

1. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thinking it would be a good idea to keep a spare bulb just in case mine goes on a saturday night.we all know how long it takes to get something when you really need it.does anyone know where to get one from and how much they cost?

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bulb is unlikely to fail sudenly just get dimmer as time goes on .Do you want to spend £300 now or maybe £100 in 2 years when you actually need one.
    I'm guessing the bulbs will get cheaper. :)

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Croozer

Steve is right in what he says. Having a bulb in your rear pro set isnt like having a bulb in your lamp or bedroom ceiling. The bulbs over time lose their strength and so the picture suffers as a result. It will take many years fror this to happen and by that time you will deceide if it needs replacing. My dad has had the same bulb in is 46' rear pro for over 11 years. Now that needs changing. The picture is watchable just very washed out and faint.

You would be better off spending your time cleaning your bulbs once a year. It can make a huge difference and it brings the set back to life. The dust build up dulls the image.

Be carefull though as the mirror used is very delicate and it doesnt have a layer of glass protecting it. The glass would distort the image as it passes through the glass layer. I only clean the mirror with a dry duster. On the lenses I just use a dry dust cloth and then a damp one to clean and then I dry. I also give it a little hoover at the same time. The first time I did this the missus noticed straight away and asked me why the TV pic was looking so good.

Anyone who has an older rear pro such as a LCD or CRT might want to give this a try. But becarefull, unplug etc.... Evan though by switching the set on whilst the bulbs are exposed is a good way to tell if you have cleaned them properly, if you havent the dirt will show up imediately. :)

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor when you come to do your RD65 for the first time let us know how you get on
    as i'd rather not be the first to try this but will follow where others lead :D

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    The RD65 should be easy as its only one bulb. I have done this on 2 philips sets, one sony and 2 toshs. To be honest I wasnt sure the first time, but its easy. Their wont be any need to do our sets for a long while. :)

6. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reckon i'll second that. ;)

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... I could start up a little rear pro tv cleaning company..... :clap:

8. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sensible advice from everyone, that has educated me somewhat.thankyou.my next question is what can i spend the £300 on that you have all saved me?

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Class reply. £300 buring a hole in your pocket. :devil:

What have you got and what do you need?

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put it towards a HTPC or maybe a modded Xbox it makes a very good DVD player.
    Hope you can mod the Xbox 2 when it arrives. :)

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Are you quite sure?

Everything you say about cleaning the innards is good. But........

A 46 inch RP TV from 11 years ago was undoubtedy a CRT set. CRT RP TVs don't have bulbs at all. They have three CRTs. These aren't anything like bulbs. Whereas a DLP RP TV (and LCD for that matter) does actually have a high pressure discharge lamp.

Now, the deterioration of a high pressure discharge lamp over time is quite, quite different to the deterioration of a CRT. Lamps (bulbs) such as these do slowly dim, but there comes a point when they fail, quite suddenly. When they do, if you are lucky, it's just a matter of replacing the bulb. If you aren't lucky, the bulb will have taken out the lamp driver board and you need a new one fitting.

It's better to replace the bulb before it fails. Keep an eye on the manufacturer's estimated lifespan, get a new one when it gets above about 75% of this time, and replace it at about 80%.

There really isn't any useful comparison you can make between the working of, or the lifespan of, a CRT setr vs. a DLP set. Totally different animals.

12. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there may go my £300 if it's best to buy a bulb in advance.

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Croozer unless you've probably 2 years before you have to start to worry that £300 would be better spent in a bank earning interest & when you do need to replace it they will probably be much cheaper.
    2 years =730 days at 10 hours a day = 7300 hours & most of us probably watch a lot less than that :)

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Hi LV426

Thanks for your comments. It is a CRT rear pro and I believe they call the three lights, guns? Is that right? Your right there is difference between crt and dlp, but what I was trying to say was that you will notice the picture deteriate before the bulb fails totally.

Doesnt the picture quality, brightnes and colour suffer? This is what I have experianced in the past with crt rear pros. The real experts on this subject has to be the front projector crew as this has been part and parcell of a front projetor since day dot. I know you have a Sony H10, have you ever cleaned your projector?

Cheers :thumbsup:

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    The light output from discharge lighting such as used in projectors that aren't CRTs typically follows a curve which falls steeply from new down to about 90% and then remains fairly constant for, say, 50 - 60% of the lifespan of the lamp, after which it begins to tail off again. It will probably be producing something like 50 - 60% as much light when it reaches it's expected life and suddenly fails completely.

They can also fail suddenly in the event of a power surge. And every time they are turned on, their life is reduced. So frequent power cycles shorten the life.

I've blown dust out of my VW10 several times. And I've cleaned the filters. That's all. But then, there isn't a huge mirror in that to get dirty.

And put a new lamp in. Fact is, I hadn't noticed how much the old one had dimmed, until I put the new one in. So gradual, you see.

***Off topic**** The three lights in a CRT projector are actually CRTs....i.e. Cathode Ray Tubes. Each is a small, high brightness, monochrome CRT, with a coloured filter and lens on the front of it. All of the light in a CRT RPTV is produced as with any CRT by scanning electron beam striking a phospohor coating and energising it to produce light. In CRT projectors there are three monochrome CRTs each of which is used to display one of the three primary colour contents of the image. The filters filter to the correct colour (to match the signal) and the lens focuses the light of the CRT screen onto the larger screen elsewhere. There is no bulb/lamp in a CRT set.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LV426

Cheers for info. My crt rear pro is in need of changing the crt tubes, lights, guns or what ever they are called...lol Do you know of a comapny that will supply what i need for a Philips 46' rear pro?

Your right about the dimming it is very gradual and when it is time for a new bulb to be put in it must be like having a new machine. I know I notice the difference straight away when I cleaned my rear pro. A totally different picture was the result, everything was brighter, clearer and more colourfull. I had to re-adjust all my settings.

My father has a infocus 7205 and its fan had been getting louder and louder. He set it back to infocus in Holland and they replaced the fan, serviced the projetor, and upgraded the firmware for him. All free of charge.

Have you upgraded your firmare on your H10. I know its easy to do on a DVD player and some one has posted that an enigineer has updated their DLP set. But what i was wondring is if I could upgrade my frimware, if there is an upgraded version out there and how is it done? :thumbsup:

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Sorry Razor, can't help on tubes. My guess is that CRT RP technology is so retro nowadays, you could probably buy a whole new TV for less than the cost of the bits.

And no, there hasn't been any need to change the firmware in the VW10. Not even aware of any new versions, and there has never been a thing wrong with it the way it is.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I did a google the replacement gun/bulb and i found one place which I will contact this week.

There was known faults with the infocus 7205 HD2+ projector, please correct me if I am wrong as i dont follow the front projector forums much. But when the projector was sent in for a replacement fan the engineers informed my father that the firmware was upgraded. I think these upgrades just tweak the perfromance of the projector, a bit like a patch or update for your pc. I dont think they were for fixing any critical errors. It would be interesting to see if there are firmware updates for these front and rear projectors which could be obtained. I know some of the samsung owners have had their sets updated to a more recent version, although this was to correct a fault.

19. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Bear in mind you'll need three of them. I've got no idea how complex a matter it is to fit, and then adjust them.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Very true, looks like I will be finding out how easy or hard it is to replace these units. The warning light was flashing on my rear pro last night which means the bulb is on its way out. Not bad for 5 years very heavy use. I used to leave it on all the time, well over 10 hours a day. In fact I used to use it to put me to sleep lol :D